Raw Honest Feedback Needed

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Raw Honest Feedback Needed

Postby vegasmedifast » August 15th, 2007, 12:00 pm

Hi All,

It's my birthday today (no, I'm not soliciting happy birthdays :), LOL).

I've been compliant everyday for 8 weeks and 2 days. I have lost a total of 34 pounds. I am at 218 down from 252.

I want to go out to dinner with my husband for my birthday. I want to eat sushi rolls and rice and have something for dessert.

I don't know if that's a big mistake...am I setting up to fail? Should I just stay on plan or give myself a birthday celebration and enjoy it?

But what I can I expect in terms of getting back into mild ketosis, etc??

Also, has anyone allowed themselves a day off? How does it work for you? I'm looking for any feedback, suggestions, experiences, etc...

Thank you!!
vegasmedifast
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby Elizabeth » August 15th, 2007, 12:30 pm

I have no advice for you, but was just doing some reading in Jo (Serendipity's) journal. She talks about how she stayed on plan during her cruise last summer and she also talks about her mindset for this decision. Hope it helps you decide and hope Jo doesn't mind me copy and pasting her journal. I find it pretty amazing myself.

Here it is.....

Ok, I'm between laundry loads, so I think I have time to talk about my strategy for eating on plan during vacation.

First off, Silver Fox.....thank you so much for your comments. It means so much.....you can't know how much.....but, yes, you probably can.

Anyway....here goes.

The single biggest factor in my vacation success is that I decided before going that I wanted to be compliant. I thought about what it would be like to go off my plan for over a week. I thought about how I would feel, about the struggle I would be sure to have getting back on plan, about what food has really come to mean to me.

If I had decided to go off plan during my vacation, I wouldn't have gained a ton. I would most likely have been set back a week or two. No big deal. But to me it would have meant so much more. It would have been an admission that all of this work I've done hasn't taught me anything about the importance of food in my life. If I've learned anything, I've learned that food is not the do all and end all of pleasurable experiences. I have had tons of fun while not eating. I've been to dinners, parties, picnics....you name it, and I've had a blast. Why then, couldn't I go on a vacation and have fun without blowing it? These things rolled around in my mind before leaving, but I can't say that I was even tempted to do anything but stay on plan. It just wouldn't have been right for me.

So having decided that, the rest was really quite easy. I packed a suitcase full of RTD shakes (enough for 3/day), 1 bar/day, 1 soup/day, 1 oatmeal/day. That's more than 5 supplements a day, but I wanted a little bit of choice. I came home with all of the oatmeal because it didn't really taste great with just hot water added. Each day started with a shake and room service coffee. Then at mid morning, another shake. For lunch I joined my husband on the Lido deck for lunch. Each day, I walked up to the buffet and looked at the great food, smelled the wonderful smells, talked to my husband about what he was going to pick that had a balance of protein and carbs and not too much fat, grabbed a bowl and spoon and got the heck out of there! I took my bowl and found us a table, then went to the drink bar and picked up a glass of hot water and 2 iced teas. I mixed my soup and waited for hubby to get back. I remarked to him one day, "You know, that food all looks good, but you know what else? This soup is really good, too! I feels all warm and is so tasty.....I would choose my Chicken and wild rice soup over what you're having". I meant it!

Late afternoon, more room service for hot tea or iced tea and my bar. That was great and I looked forward to it every day. I didn't even think about all the people up at the icecream bar or at the pizza bar. I enjoyed my bar just as much as they did....probably more because I had no guilt, lol.

Dinner on a cruise is so much fun. You dress for dinner and have a drink before at one of the lounges. Hubby always ordered a beer, I always ordered water with lime. The bartenders got to know me and just brought my water after a few days. (I tell ya, they treat you like a queen....I could really get used to it).

So dinner could have been a problem. I knew that normally, the portion of veggies was skimpy and that usually they were buttered up or coated with sauce. Same with the meat. Sauces Sauces, potatoes, all the wrong stuff. Soooooooo......

On the first night, I asked to talk to the head waiter. I explained to him that I needed at least 1 1/2 cups of a green vegetable each night and that it should be prepared with no added fat or sauces of any kind. I listed green beans, spinach, zucchini, and asparagus. He said that would not be a problem at all. Then I explained how I needed to have my meat prepared....again, no problem. He said that each night he would bring me tomorrow's menu and I could pick what I wanted and he would see to it that it was prepared to my liking. Dinner worked out so well. The first night and every night after, I was served all four of my vegetable choices! If we had salad, they brought low fat dressing on the side. My meat was perfect. That waiter got a good tip from us at the end of the trip. He made it so easy to stay focused. After a few days, he even started bring my husband the veggies because I had been sharing with him and the waiter saw, lol. I won't lie. There were dishes that I remember from past cruises that I could have scarfed down, but what I chose to do in the end was not a sacrifice. It was just a different choice. Each night our waiters (George and George from Romania) brought the dessert menu and promised me that all of the desserts were calorie free. I ordered coffee, lol.

After dinner, a show, or a stroll, or a drink, some music.....never a lack of things to do. Then back to the room for my last shake and bed.

It was so easy after the decision was made. I made it sound simple because it was. Like showering every day, or dressing, or exercising.....it was just what I did, no more complicated than that.

I had plenty of time to people watch on this trip. I saw so many people that reminded me of me on my last cruise. Huge, miserable, trying to look inconspicuous. My heart broke each time I saw it, because I know how heartbreaking it is. There were several extremely obese people on the ship. I continually ran into one man who didn't fit into any of the chairs so to sit, he chose a bar stool and sort of leaned against it while still standing, balance a huge plate of food all the while. Heartbreaking. I saw so many huge plates of food, it made me wonder about how I would feel if I ate that much.......blah would be my guess. I was continually made aware of how fortunate I have been to find Medifast. I was a normal person on this trip. I was in better shape than most of the people there. Yeah, there were plenty of hard bodies, too, but I was the norm. It felt great to be "NORMAL" for a change.

If I had it to do over, my decision to eat on plan would be the same. It didn't detract one iota from my pleasure. There is so much more to life than a plate full of cakes and cookies. I'm not saying that everyone should do it, but it was so right for me.
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby SharonR » August 15th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I wouldn't do it. Easier said then done, I know. However my first time around with MF I was compliant till I went on vacation and thn blew it big time. It's not worth it!
This time I am planning on staying on no matter what.

Why not go out to a nice restaraunt and have a nice meal that is still being compliant. THere are so many things out there that are yummy even when you are trying to be good.

If you don't, and you do go out to eat where you stated, enjoy it and then get right back on. It won't be easy though...sigh...but I know some can get back right on and other can't. You don't know until you try I guess.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » August 15th, 2007, 6:29 pm

Ditto on the not doing it. I've gone off a few times and kick myself everytime (why do I do this to myself?)

Anyhow, if you like sashimi, instead of sushi rolls with rice... get that and some veggies or a salad. My wife loves pan seared tuna... (I just can't do it myself).

Hope this helps.

(and happy b-day) :candle:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » August 15th, 2007, 10:30 pm

Hi there,
I too would recomend that you stay on program !! Far too often I watched individuals take just "a little break" and head off and running on foody adventures. The "little break" can be just one meal or a couple of days -- however for many people it's very very difficult to become fully compliant again. Some struggle for weeks trying to get going down the right path. There doesn't seem to be a prior indication as to who will experience problems and who won't. It's a risk. For me it's better to just not risk it... the food is not going to disappear -- it will be there when you're at goal.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby nickieluv » August 16th, 2007, 4:27 am

As someone who is struggling with a bad choice right now - stay on plan. I don't want anyone to have to experience this struggle and this guilt. It's never worth it. Make your celebration about health and not food.

I know, I should follow my own advice - but this is heartfelt. You will not regret it if you stay on plan - and you may regret it if you don't.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby pinkbugs471 » August 16th, 2007, 6:00 am

Don't go off your plan. It is very hard to get back in the groove. I went on vacation the middle of July for one week. I struggled badly after I got home. Finally back being compliant. Personally, I don't think it is worth it. :mrgreen:
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby bikipatra » August 16th, 2007, 6:17 am

I went to Hong Kong for almost 2 weeks this spring and chose to be compliant. I may have missed out on a lot of tasty dishes but Hong Kong isn't going anywhere. I lost 3.5 pounds while there. I am so glad I stayed compliant because we had to go to restaurants multiple times a day for my husband to eat. It could have gotten out of control very quickly. Most of my L&G's were lettuce with chicken ordered at the hotel which had some more Western food choices. One day I had a steak with dry vegetables. The rest of the time I had shakes or pudding. It wasn't hard at all. I just kept my eyes on the prize. It was easier to stay compliant in HK than here, because I was more in tune with what my mind was saying to me (EAT!EAT!) and much more careful.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby blondeangel7782 » August 16th, 2007, 7:41 am

Once again Biki this just shows your inspiration..... I think it's so wonderful!
blondeangel7782
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » August 18th, 2007, 3:10 am

HA! When I saw this topic, I thought "Hey, I've gotta respond to this one, I hope it's not too late!" Then I read Elizabeth's reply. hahahaha. She responded for me. Thanks Elizabeth. I love giving raw, honest feedback.

Whatever you decided, Vegas, I wish yo the best, but remember......there are better ways to celebrate than with food.

Happy belated b-day.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Diana » August 18th, 2007, 9:41 am

So, how'd it go? Remember, there is no scolding here -- your journey is your own. But this topic comes through frequently. I am one whose progress has suffered because of my foody adventures as Jan calls them. Not that I've slid completely back in the river, but after 17 months on the program, I'm still classified as obese.

And not only that, the cravings, hunger, headaches, and irritability associated with getting back into ketosis alllll come back for me each time I wander off!

I've gone out for Japanese with friends on this program and as Mike said I usually get sashimi and steamed veggies or salad. I know what the rice and seaweed wrap (sorry, term escapes me) and tempura taste like -- now I want to know what fit and healthy taste like and feel like and look like.

Anymore, I prefer to celebrate with sunshine, flowers, jewelry (particularly earrings which don't care what size you are) and new clothes! Besides, they last longer :mrgreen:

Hope you had a fabulous celebration! Just think how incredible next year's will be when you're a new you!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby bikipatra » August 18th, 2007, 9:50 am

I was about to mention jewelry earlier but didn't want to sound too materialistic. 8)
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby gillian » October 18th, 2007, 7:53 am

At Easter of 06, I made a big deal about how excited I was to go off plan, and told everybody I could do it and get back on. At that time I only had 50 more pounds to get to goal... I had already lost 50. Well, consider this- TODAY Oct. 07, I still have 40 pounds until goal. It makes me crazy that I never got back on and was as complient as I was pror to that first cheat. Hope it is not too late. Call me and we could meet for a l and g sometime. Ill buy for your bday! PM me!!!
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

oopps

Postby gillian » October 18th, 2007, 7:54 am

a few months late...
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » October 19th, 2007, 5:18 am

i think this has helped me decide for our honeymoon to pack some shakes and not go off plan/transition/maintenance...depending on where im at by then lol. you all are very inspiring and i think it made me realize a bit. when i went on vacation last october was when i fell off the wagon. i figured i could get right back on and all but when i got back my body was like UR MISSING OUT WOMAN ...and i was... on an upset tummy and extra inches . im sure there are some things that will still be enjoyable to eat on the cruise that will fit into MF. as for sushi, maybe ill go for sushimi if they have a sushi bar ( i think they do, and thats my biggest weakness is sushi).

anyways thanks for posting this question and thanks to everyone who responded. id wanted to ask the same pretty much but hadnt yet hehe
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Next

Return to Weight Loss