Question about portions - clarification?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Question about portions - clarification?

Postby nickieluv » February 28th, 2007, 7:11 am

I am wondering some things about portions.

I thought it was 2 cups of green, period, whether it was cooked or salad/raw. But is it really 2 cups salad (and do you have to add another 1/2 cup of raw vegetables or can you just have lettuce?) or 1.5 cups of cooked veggies?

Meats - this one is pretty specific. I have turkey burgers. 2 of them cooked is 7oz. But should I only be having 1 as a serving size regardless of the weight?

Drinks - if a drink mix has 0 calories, can it still count as plain water? Or is there something about the artificial sweeteners that makes it different? And what about carbonated/flavored water? Should carbonation be avoided or limited at all?

I think that's all for now. Sorry if all these answers are in the quick start. I've read it but I'm just still not sure on some things.
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Re: Question about portions - clarification?

Postby MusicalMomma » February 28th, 2007, 10:26 am

nickieluv wrote:I am wondering some things about portions.

I thought it was 2 cups of green, period, whether it was cooked or salad/raw. But is it really 2 cups salad (and do you have to add another 1/2 cup of raw vegetables or can you just have lettuce?) or 1.5 cups of cooked veggies?

Meats - this one is pretty specific. I have turkey burgers. 2 of them cooked is 7oz. But should I only be having 1 as a serving size regardless of the weight?

Drinks - if a drink mix has 0 calories, can it still count as plain water? Or is there something about the artificial sweeteners that makes it different? And what about carbonated/flavored water? Should carbonation be avoided or limited at all?

I think that's all for now. Sorry if all these answers are in the quick start. I've read it but I'm just still not sure on some things.

It's 2 cups salad greens PLUS half cup of another raw veggie. The list is on here somewhere....OR...1.5 cups cooked veggies

7oz cooked of turkey burger even if the serving size is one burger. We need that protein.

You'll get varying veiws regarding the 0 cal drinks. I recommend 64oz pure water, then any 0 cal drink you like on top of that. Diet soda's are OK in moderation. I wouldn't have more than one a day...but that's just me :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby GucciGoo » February 28th, 2007, 10:36 am

Ditto to everything Joyce said.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Arghh! » February 28th, 2007, 11:21 am

Joyce is right on.

I will add that re: diet sodas. I do drink them (I know, I know), but not in place of my water recommendations. To lessen their impact I try to drink caffeine free ones that are sweetened with splenda. Diet A&W is an example.
Arghh!
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Re: Question about portions - clarification?

Postby Mike » February 28th, 2007, 12:38 pm

2 cups salad greens and 1/2 c of other veggies from the list (2 1/2 c total), or 1.5 cups cooked veggies from the list

Make sure its 7 oz after cooking for turkey, chicken and fish/seafood. 5 oz cooked weight of LEAN beef, pork, or lamb. Be careful with those turkey burgers that come prepackaged, many times they have WAY too many carbs. If its just plain ground turkey then thats fine.

As said, you need to have 64 oz of pure water. After that, just be aware of the effects of other liquids. I used to drink alot of propel, but the calories made me stop them. Although liquids may have 0 calories (not net carbs, but 0 calories). Carbonation can slow things, and it expands the stomach which makes it feel more empty. Limit caffeine to 3 a day. The best thing is more pure water.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby nickieluv » February 28th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Thanks, everybody. It seems like I've been doing OK, just had my green wrong with the cooked vegetables. I'll make that change. And I will check out the turkey burgers - they are prepackaged - Mike, how many carbs should I be under? And I do drink my water - usually around 100oz a day if you include that I make my shakes with double the water. It's just that some days I can't seem to stomach the plain, and that's when I have more of the mixes. But it's not an every day thing, nor is the soda - maybe 2-4 times a week there, one glass/can.

A follow-up on the salad - since it is 2.5 cups total, if I don't like to put raw veggies on my salad, should I be having 2.5 cups lettuce? Or should I cook 1/2 cup of something else and have that? Or am I really getting too into the details here?
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » February 28th, 2007, 2:14 pm

nickieluv wrote:Thanks, everybody. It seems like I've been doing OK, just had my green wrong with the cooked vegetables. I'll make that change. And I will check out the turkey burgers - they are prepackaged - Mike, how many carbs should I be under? And I do drink my water - usually around 100oz a day if you include that I make my shakes with double the water. It's just that some days I can't seem to stomach the plain, and that's when I have more of the mixes. But it's not an every day thing, nor is the soda - maybe 2-4 times a week there, one glass/can.

A follow-up on the salad - since it is 2.5 cups total, if I don't like to put raw veggies on my salad, should I be having 2.5 cups lettuce? Or should I cook 1/2 cup of something else and have that? Or am I really getting too into the details here?

As with anything, just be aware of what you have. We need to keep the total carbs in a day around 80-85 or less (as a guideline), and be more aware of the sugar that might be added to things.
As for the salad, more lettuce would be fine (I do Caesars alot when I go out). I just prefer mushrooms, cucumbers, zucchini, tomato, etc on mine.
;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Return to Weight Loss