Postcards from the Planet of Thin......

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postcards from the Planet of Thin......

Postby Lois » January 24th, 2005, 5:56 pm

Hello, my friends!

Those of you who've been around a while know who I am.....and to all the newbies out there....Hello :mrgreen:

I lost 60 pounds on the MF full shake plan, and have lost another TEN POUNDS since going through transition and eating "real" food 8)

This forum was a TREMENDOUS BLESSING to me while I was using the MF shakes. In fact, I couldn't have succeeded without the support of this forum.

SO......are you wondering what I'm eating these days??????? Well, here's the skinny;)

Breakfast is usually a bowl of cooked whole grain cereal (oatmeal, quinoa, buchwheat, brown rice, etc) sweetened with a little dried fruit....raisins or figs are my favorites. I also have a big mug of herbal tea with 1/2 cup of rice milk.

Lunch is usually a bowl of soup and a slice or two of whole grain bread with canola margarine, and a piece of fruit. Some days I have a sandwich instead....2 slices of bread with some tofu or tempeh, and veggies such as lettuce, tomato, and/or sprouts. Occaisionally lunch will be a small helping of last night's dinner.....

Dinner is usually a whole grain+bean dish, OR a one-pot stew with veggies, grains, and beans, OR whole grain pasta with sauce.....the meal is rounded out with salad and/or cooked veggies....the combinations are limitless 8)

In the evening, I sometimes have a piece of fruit and another cup of tea with rice milk....

FAQ's

Does my family eat the same foods that I'm eating? For dinner, yes. Breakfasts and lunches are do-it-yourself.

Am I a vegan/vegetarian? Yes. I choose not to eat meat, chicken, eggs, fish or dairy products. I tend to either gain weight or exeperience indigestion from those foods :cry: It's just not worth it.

Do you eat sugar, flour, or artificial sweetnres. No. This is because those foods trigger an addictive reaction in me....binge eating. Again, it's just not worth it to me.

Do I feel deprived? No.

Do I feel hungry? No.

Do I weigh/measure my food? Only when I feel like my eyes might be bigger than my stomach....especially where carbs are concerned. I can "overdo" healthy carbs, so I have to pay attention and use wisdom.

How often do I weigh myself! Once a month....usually the 1st of the month, but NEVER during my period. So....if I have my period on the 1st, I wait 'til it's over and THEN weigh myself.

Why only once-a-month weigh-ins? Because weighing myself too often and being a slave to the numbers is part of my disease, my craziness with food. Getting on the scale too often is disasterous for me.

Do you exercise? Yes. 30 minutes of brisk walking followed by 30 minutes of yoga, every day. Exercise is important to my overall feeling of being "on track".....but I have to be careful not to OVER exercise, since that has also been a part of my crazy, unhealthy past.

I have been living this way for 3 months now, and I FEEL GREAT 8) 8) 8)

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you have reached your goals since I last checked in.....and for those who are still "in process"......keep up the good work!

This is a lifelong journey, and it will teach us SO MUCH about ourselves if we are open and willing to learn.

Love, blessings, and hugs to all.....

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sylvia » January 24th, 2005, 8:11 pm

Lois,

So wonderful to hear from you! Even better to know how well you're doing. I'm so proud of you for continuing to lose weight even after transition. I kind of thought I'd maintain for a few months and then maybe lose a final 10 or so pounds by traditional dieting. So far I haven't been able to do that. I'm now planning to go back on MF for a few weeks to drop those last few pounds and more importantly regain that feeling of being in control I seem to have misplaced a bit.

I also applaud your ability to eat such a healthy diet. My diet is not unhealthy but too many refined carbs are creeping their way in. Of more significance to my own food issues is the fact that I am continuing to eat when I'm not hungry. That is the one thing I really need to work through - I feel like if I can lick that problem, I will have conquered my food issues once and for all. Until then, I am a work in progress, albeit a much thinner and healthier one!

Please continue to check in every once in a while and let us know how you're doing!

Sylvia
Sylvia

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » January 25th, 2005, 7:18 am

Lois!

So happy to see you again! I have often thought of you, and wondered how you are. I'm staying with MF for 2 - 3 of my meals throughout the day too. I just love the taste and ease of not having to prepare or plan those meals. The one thing I discovered through MF is that my body loves soy products. I tried some soy crisps the other day at the health food store. It's the equivalent of potato chips. Delicious! I'll try the soy ice cream soon I think too. I'm loving fruits and vegetables so much more now than I ever have. Balsamic vinegar is my favorite side kick now too. Congratulations on your new lifestyle.

Missed ya,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Unca_Tim » January 25th, 2005, 8:17 am

Hi all you Maintainers,
It's an honor to post on the same page with you.

Just wanted to mention something about soy products. Nancy will probably chime in here, if she comes across this post.

There's a cheese product out there that we came across at a women's conference we attended a while back. It was demonstrated in a variety of ways and tasted and acted just like regular cheese. It was soy-based and a great alternative for lactose intolerant people. They had quite the variety including pepper jack and jalepeno that were really tastey.

I'll corral Nance and get the name, if anyone's interested.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Sylvia » January 25th, 2005, 8:35 am

Tim - it would be great to know the name of the soy cheese.

Camille - I am addicted to the soy crisps and my kids love them too - so much better for all of us than any of the normal snacking alternatives!
Sylvia

Postby TamiL » January 25th, 2005, 10:55 am

Lois
So good to hear from you :D
Glad to hear you have maintained your loss and are doing so well!!
Dont be a stranger here...we could all use your words of wisdom from time to time!! :-P

Tami :mrgreen:
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » January 26th, 2005, 1:04 am

:boing: Hoo Boy! I am stoked to hear from you and about your continued success, Lois. I think of you often.

While Medifasting for weight loss, transition and maintenance many of us dig deep and we learn about what works for us food-wise, what doesn't, what triggers us to get out of control and then how to avoid pushing those 'hot buttons.'

It is a blessing to know that you are making your way through life so positively - it brings hope to those who come after you.

Like Mike, Camille, Sylvia and me, you have made exercise a part of your lifestyle. Making permanent changes in our eating habits, in our approach to food, positive thinking and the way we deal with life's issues all go together to form the new and improved versions of ourselves!

re: the soy cheese I buy a cheese alternative, Lisanatti Soy-Sation brand.

It truly tastes great, it shreds like "regular animal" cheese and it melts easily. Honest!

It's found in the refrigerated section of some organic grocery stores and at some nutrition centers.

The Lisanatti Soy-Sation is lactose-free, it has no cholesterol (this is good for folks who are heart-health conscious) and it has no preservatives. It is made with certified organic soybeans and expeller-pressed canola oil.

My taste buds just LOVE the Pepper Jack! It is very flavorful and quite spicy. The Garlic & Herb is great sprinkled on the MF Minestrone Soup. The Cheddar (and the Pepper Jack!) is good on the MF Homestyle Chili. There is even a Mozzarella Soy-Sation cheese.

It is manufactured here in the northwest, in Clackamas, OR - a suburb of Portland, OR.

:coach: Newbies to the Medifast weight loss programs, soy cheese and regular cheese are NOT a part of the 5 and 1 Program but rather for maintenance. See what good things you have to look forward to?! :thumbsup:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 26th, 2005, 8:43 am

I just did a little search, and it appears Soy-Sation doesn't have a website. Here's their contact info, if anyone is interested.

Soy-Sation
Lisanatti
P. S. Lisac & Associates, Inc.
9001 Southeast Lawnfield Road
Clackamas, OR 97015
503-652-1988

customerservice @lisanatticheese.com

Leave the space out of the email to contact them.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Lois » January 26th, 2005, 1:23 pm

Hello, all!

Nancy, thanks for your words of support. It is hard to believe that last January I weighed 230 pounds and was desperate and depressed about my weight and my life.

For me, losing weight and learning to keep it off is, indeed, an adventure...and a lifelong committment to myself AND the people who love me ;)

Staying away from the "trigger foods" that lead to binging (for me) gets easier over time. I don't "miss" those foods any more, because of what they do to me emotionally, physically, and spiritually! It would be like "missing" poison!

I love hearing from all of you, my dear friends ;) I promise I'll come around from time to time with more "postcards" 8) from my new and wonderful "planet".

love and hugs,

Lois :mrgreen:
Lois

Postby 24KaratGold » January 26th, 2005, 1:27 pm

Lois, you predated me here, but I've read some of your old threads and followed your journey. Thanks for coming back to share with those of us just starting out on this path. I hope that next January I am saying the same thing that you are saying this January about the positive changes in my weight and in my life.

All the best to you there on Thin Planet!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Return to Maintenance