Plateau; fun&excitement (sarcasm)

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Plateau; fun&excitement (sarcasm)

Postby Hyperion » December 12th, 2005, 6:26 am

Hi all,

I sent a PM to mytime about this, but then I thought I might also want to get the advice from all of you.

This is about plateau. I think I'm in one right now (1 lb lost in 6 days), and I suspect A LOT the bars + 0-calories water.

I ate them 4 days in a row, because I had parties and I had to go out, so this was an easy option. I also had non-regular days (sleeping for 5 hours, then next day sleeping for 9-10 hours). I wondered if these could be the cause?

Mytime said bars were a no for her because she had the impression it slowed down her loss. I also have this impression. Can anyone relate with personnal opinion?

Oh, and Mytime also mentioned about plateau at 30 and 70 pounds lost. Can I get advice from Nancy, and personnal experience from anyone else?

I'm currently trying to stay motivated, but balance stalling is not helping :shock:
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lauren » December 12th, 2005, 7:16 am

Morning, Hype-

Glad to hear your party on Friday worked out well! I guess there was a whole lot of worry for not too big a problem, eh? I think this "plateau" situation is the same, you're worrying too early in the game. While you can certainly try to reduce your number of bars, I think your body is just moving differently. Usually I've experience plateaus to be a much longer problem, not normally detectable within just a few days. Do NOT start stressing. Do NOT start eating because "what's the point?" Do NOT start to sabotage yourself. Perhaps trick your body a bit, like, tonight, eat your last meal a little earlier, and then just have water before bed. I find that I am much lower on the scale in the morning when my last MF at night was early. This could be water weight, this could be your body just reconfiguring after several weeks of SIGNIFICANT weight loss, it could be anything. But you KNOW that you are doing everything right, so there's not a darn thing to be worried about.

Hype, just like you, every day of this diet I have gotten on the scale and it has been lower than the day before. But just a couple days ago it was 1/2 pound higher. For a brief moment I panicked. But then I had a talk with myself (yes, I did!), and I reviewed what I had eaten and the truth is that I am doing everything right (as you are), and SCIENCE dictates that if you expend more than you take in (calories out vs calories in) you WILL lose weight. If for some reason you don't this week, it's just water or muscles regrouping.

The only time a diet fails is when we fail the diet.

You have not, and it will not.

Just smile, and relax in the knowledge that you are doing an awesome job, and your efforts will be rewarded with more weight loss to come!
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 12th, 2005, 8:54 am

Hype, If you enjoy the bars, you don't have to give them up. I look forward to one each day and I have averaged 4 pounds/week on this diet. I have also had a few plateaus. One lasted for 14 days! But, the weight came off and when I look at the big picture, I am so glad I didn't panic.

You are losing faster than me, so just be patient. Your body is adjusting and will soon release the weight, probably in a chunk......literally!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Hyperion » December 12th, 2005, 8:57 am

Thanks Serendipity!

One lasted 14 days? Looking at your numbers, it must mean that when your body finished readapting, you lost a big chunk in a short amount of time?

Is that right? Is it too indiscrete to ask for a number so I can hope? :-P :-P :-P
264/150
Began: 2005-11-03
Finished: Never

Went to 150, then began gym to build some muscle; currently 173.8! (Need to cut some fat)

<b>Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.</b>
Hyperion

Postby ljm498 » December 12th, 2005, 10:49 am

Hi Hype! I, too, am one of the unfortunate ones that cannot have bars often or I will plateau. BUT, I do utilize them when I can't be home or making a shake or whatever is inconvenient. I find that if I have them only once or twice a week I don't have too much of a problem. Just if I have one every day. Glad to hear your parties went well. Sounds like you're doing great! Keep up the great work!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » December 12th, 2005, 1:54 pm

You might read this thread about plateaus. They happen to everybody, sometimes without rhyme or reason, I think.

I've lost 90 pounds on MF this year (and have been maintaining that loss for the last couple of months now), and I have had a bar nearly every single day this year.

Sometimes I think the body just wants some rest and time to readjust before it continues losing weight.

Good luck to you.

Edited to add: Hey Lynne, look at you! Well gee, we have to look harder, 'cause there's not anywhere near as much of you as there used to be! Your numbers look great -- congratulations. Have you posted pics??
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby ljm498 » December 12th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Thanks 24K! Yup, feeling good! I don't have any recents pics posted yet. I'm waiting until I hit the magic number 125. Only 13 lbs to go! Wahooo!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498

Postby Serendipity » December 12th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Hype, Since you asked so nicely, I'm happy to tell you. :lol: And since I keep track on FitDay, I have the exact numbers......

The first day of my 3rd week I had a 2.5 pound loss and then didn't lose again until the last day of my 4th week when I lost 3.5 in one chunk (I guess maybe that's 13 days, sorry for the exageration, but it seemed like a lifetime, lol)

As long as I am averaging 2.5-3 pounds a week, I won't be giving up those tasty bars. Right now, it's over 4/wk.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby LuzInIt » December 12th, 2005, 7:06 pm

Hi Hype. I've lost 115 pounds this year (since March), and I've experienced three significant plateaus; mine lasted a lot longer than 2 weeks. I've just come through one that kept me in the 230's for nearly 2 full months. But I know I can trust this program and I didn't panic or quit. I just kept doing my Medifast program. I could have given up during any of those times and then where would I be... certainly not 115 pounds thinner and losing again. So I would tell you to relax, do the program, and if possible stay off the scale. I personally found that impossible to do; but in hindsight, I know I could have saved myself a lot of stress if I had heeded the wise counsel of those who have walked this path before me, and just put the dang thing away for a month. You are doing great - keep shaking and enjoy your journey to slimdom. I sincerely doubt the bars are hurting your weight loss at all.
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt

Postby Nancy » December 17th, 2005, 12:33 am

Hype, in my opinion, you are not overdoing it with a bar a day. Plateaus are part of life - whether you are on a weight loss program or not.

Before you began Medifasting, had you weighed and charted your numbers daily, I suspect you would observe some ups and downs and some weeks of remaining virtually the same weight.

It's the nature of the body to need time to readjust, to repair and to regroup. It is easy to become so focused on the number and equate it as an indicator of our program compliance or value as a person. It is merely a number at that particular moment in time. If you are eating all your meals on time, drinking a swimming pool's worth of water a day and getting adequate rest, the flab will float off. Eventually. You mentioned that your sleep time was reduced somewhat this last week - that can certainly affect weight loss. Grab your blankie and catch a few Zzzz. Relax and dream of thinny days ahead - you're not in a race, Hype. You'll cross the finish line. Eventually. If you don't give up. See you at the goal line!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room