Pickle spears and Broth

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Pickle spears and Broth

Postby MARIE » July 8th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Hi all!

I am on Day 5! I am waiting the full week to weigh myself...yikes--what will it say??

RE: pickle spears...jsut looking for the definitive answer; is it 2 spears a day? I have only eaten them once, but was wondering if 2 spears a day can do any harm with the sodium in them. They are so tasty!

RE: Broth/boullion: Is it unlimited? Does it need to be salt free or low salt or is the regular chicken broth ok? Again, the sodium factor and wondering about it.

Thanks all!

Marie
MARIE
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » July 8th, 2006, 8:13 pm

I don't know about pickle spears, we eat whole dills. One seving typically is two and that is one snack. Don't worry too much about salt, as you won't be taking in that much sodium from them, and sodium washes out with all of the water you should be drinking. As for broth, I don't believe it is unlimited. As with any non-pure water source for fluid, you need to limit how much you have instead of water. A good rule is no more than one cup or so of broth a day if you like broth. It does help replenish sodium, but don't overdo it.
There may be times when you get leg cramps.. good solution to that is extra potassium. Some take pills, but I know the MF fast soups have alot of potassium. It counts as your one MF snack for the day.
Good luck
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi Marie

Postby dede4wd » July 8th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Hi Marie,
Mike covered everything, but I just wanted to chime in.

The new quick start guide says 2 pickle spears per day. No, the broth is not unlimited...one cup of boullion (again according to the quick start guide). I myself am very susceptible to too much sodium and I know it when I overdo it because my ankles swell into cankles. If you're having the leg cramps, definitely get the fast soups, they have some extra potassium! Hope this helps!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby MARIE » July 8th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Thanks to both of you--good info.

DeDe, I know I should just refer to the quick start guide, but I occasionally see stuff on here that says something a little different, so I check it out.
For us newbies, you guys are the gold standard of answers! :clap:

~ Thanks again!

Marie :D
MARIE
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » July 9th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Marie, part of the variation is that a lot of people follow whatever the rules were when they started, rather than learning new rules every time the company issues a new guide. So some have two pickles, some have three snacks a day, etc.

In general, follow the guide. But if you're feeling puny the first few days, go ahead and have some extra bouillon or pickles; the sodium will actually HELP. (Unless you have high blood pressure, which would make sodium a bigger concern.)

Good luck, and let us know what the scale says when you weigh in. I'm guessing you'll be pleasantly surprised. And feel free to post any questions you have (but be prepared because sometimes responses do vary a bit).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.