Overcoming temptation

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Overcoming temptation

Postby caligirl » July 14th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Well, I'm still motivated. I can't believe it either!!!
I've been on Medifast for over a week, and I'm not bored. In fact, I seem to be looking forward to my one lean and green meal each day, that I'm enjoying cooking more than ever. Since I don't have a lot that I can have (no carbs - pasta, rice, bread, cheese, etc), it forces me to get creative with the meat and veggie. I'm doing a lot of shish kebobs, and such. Liking veggies a lot. :mrgreen:
Dinner is much faster as well. Doesn't take that much time to cook the basic things.
As of this morning (8th day), I've lost 10.5 pounds!
I've had an a-ha moment about temptation. It all started yesterday...I went to a birthday lunch with my department to El Torito Grill, so fattening they don't offer nutritional info for their menu items.
This is what I did...
Kept the conversation going during the yummy chips and salsa eating... Not one did I have! Had to stay strong against the warm tortillas and honey butter as well. But I was great, and strong.
Kept telling myself, "this will be over in a matter of minutes, your lunch will get here, and you'll feel stronger. If you eat that junk, you'll only feel horrible, and for much longer than this short challenge you're facing!"
It worked! :D
I ordered a steak fajita salad. Wait, don't worry. I got it plain (romaine only - no yummy tortilla strips, cheese, or pepitas and NO DRESSING for this girl). I asked that the fajitas be cooked in very little oil. I really like their roasted salsa, so I asked if they could bring me a side of that instead of the dressing.
By the the time my salad came, I'd drunk two glasses of iced tea, and was starving! Had I actually survived the chips and salsa, tortillas and butter, more tortillas, and more butter!!! :shock:
Yes, I had! And I felt STRONGER because of it, not weaker. It was quite strange for me. I would normally eat chips and salsa, AND 3 tortillas with butter before my meal would come. That's nearly all my daily calories these days. No wonder I'm fat! :?:
FYI, about the plain fajita salad... It was so good and satisfying! I was happy I'd asked for the salad plain, so I could eat the WHOLE thing. I'm much more satisfied if I can eat it all, than have the fattening extras.
But I wasn't out of the woods just yet...
Come dinner time I was quite hungry again. Unfortunately, since I'd already eaten my lean and green meal for the day all I had left to eat was soup and crackers. Not very filling. So I asked my husband to make dinner for himself and my daughter, so I wouldn't be tempted... This was going to be hard!
I had my soup and crackers, and went to elevate my foot in my room (recovering from surgery) and also to get away from food, and the smell of it! Turns out it was a good idea, I was tired, and my foot was swollen anyway.
As the night passed, I grew hungrier. :twisted: I thought of food, and what I could have, but I thought of how I handled temptation earlier in the day. I know that it will pass, and I'll be stronger for it. Not weaker. Even though I felt like it then. I picked up a magazine and gulped down 6 bottles of water!!!
I didn't eat another thing. I did it!!!
This morning I was down another pound! It paid off! :D :D :D
Maybe you've had experiences where you've beaten your own temptation. Please share them and let's motivate eachother!
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right... Henry Ford

caligirl
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » July 14th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Great job Cali,
Congrats on your loss.

Remember, if you get stuck with too many hours at the end of the day, you can always have an extra meal replacement.

Keep up the good work...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby DogMa » July 14th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Sounds like you did great. You shouldn't be so hungry, though ... are you eating all your meals? If you're starving, have an allowed snack or even another meal. And one other tip: If you know you're going out for a meal like that, try timing your meals so that you eat a Medifast meal a little beforehand, so you won't be so hungry - or so tempted.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby smartipantz » July 14th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Way to go on your day!!! Doesn't it feel good to be disciplined. As Nancy always says "NOTHING TASTES BETTER THAN THIN FEELS!!" Trust me, she is right.

The program gets easier and easier day by day. Stick with it... the rewards are the BEST!!!

Keep up the great work!!
Restarted 9/29/08
1st month = 16.7 lbs
2nd month = 9.5 lbs
3rd month = 10.8 lbs
4th month = .4 lb /
smartipantz
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby JKSRN » July 14th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Congratulations, Cali, on your terrific weight loss and for your admirable discipline and resolve in the face of temptation! Great job, Cali!
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Jan » July 14th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Hmmmm Mexican Food
My weakness!!! Sometimes I have to pretend like those places don't even exist. You did super. Give yourself a big pat on the back. :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 14th, 2006, 10:26 pm

You did SO GOOD! Mind over matter, SERIOUSLY! I'm so happy for you! It will be SO worth it!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 15th, 2006, 6:51 am

Mexican restaurants are totally my weakness. You did good!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby chelleA » July 15th, 2006, 9:23 am

Great job! I'm proud of your strength. If you can get through the chips and dip...........you can make it through ANYTHING! Keep up the good work.......you'll enjoy the benefits!
chelleA
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Return to Come on in.