Nova

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Serendipity » July 20th, 2006, 5:29 am

Yep, I couldn't believe how he cracked. So sad. I was especially rooting for him because he was from my home state of PA. I guess anything can happen, but it's going to be hard for him to come back.

That Rassmussen (sp?) was amazing, though.

I find myself rooting for everyone on this tour....it's wierd, but I'm happy for all the winners and I'm even happy for Perrara....I guess it's just such a hard battle, that I feel that whoever comes out on top deserves to be applauded!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Nova » July 20th, 2006, 11:12 am

Wasn't the look on Rasmussen's face incredible when he crossed the line and won the stage? He looked like he was ready to cry with happiness and faint from exhaustion at the same time.

I'm rooting for lots of guys too, but it's nice when you can root for the home town guy, even if your home town is America. Heck, just to ride in the TDF is amazing. Any type of elite athelete is amazing, and to watch these guys ride their bikes up mountains like the Alps, doing a marathon every day for three weeks is absolutely stunning. Plus the French scenery is gorgeous.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nova » July 20th, 2006, 7:19 pm

There's nothing better for the soul than shopping for new clothes and fitting into something smaller and something sexy. I fit into 12s! Apparently, low riders are back in style. at least at Old Navy. I've always wanted to wear a pair of camo pants, and they had some there. They actually looked pretty good. until I sat down. Then I had some serious butt crack showing, so back on the hangar they went. But it still felt good.

Hubby's been saying that I need more shirts that reveal more cleavage, so I found a great one today. Even was brave enough to wear it out tonight.

I am so craving chili cheese fries tonight. I want salt and grease! I don't even crave sweets much anymore; I think that's because so much MF food is sweet. I wonder if that craving will ever go away. People talk about losing their cravings or stopping thinking about food. I don't think I'm that lucky.

Watching the Tour de France on DVR, so I haven't reached the end of it, but wow! Floyd recovered in a huge way! Go Floyd!
244/171

Nova

Postby Serendipity » July 21st, 2006, 4:48 am

All I can say is WOW!!! Floyd Landis could win the Tour de France! Talk about determined......unbelievable!
jo
Serendipity

Postby Nova » July 23rd, 2006, 8:12 pm

Floyd Landis wins the Tour de France!!! It wouldn't have been nearly as amazing or interesting if he hadn't cracked, and then he had the most amazing comeback I've ever seen in any sports anywhere.

Aw, it's so cute watching the riders bring their babies up on stage with them. Especially when they're dressed in little polka dot outfits to match what their daddy is wearing.

Yesterday we met some new people. May not sound like much, but neither me nor my husband are very outgoing and make friends quickly, so since moving to texas, it's been hard to meet people with the same hobbies we have. So we met some gamers yesterday. I had high hopes, but low expectations. I freely admit I'm a yuppie, and even though I'm a gamer, I'm not the stereotypical gamer who games in a dingy basement in my mom's house, even though I'm over 30.

Well, that's who we met yesterday. I was forewarned that Eric didn't work. He stays at home to take care of his mom, who has Parkinson's disease. We drove up to their house, and I stepped on a big old palmetto bug on the front door step. I knocked really loud and no answer. I could hear the tv on loudly, so I knocked again. I heard someone say coming, but nothing could have prepared me for the door opening and seeing an 80-something frail old woman, thin as a stick and shaking like a leaf, sitting awkwardly on the floor where she had obviously dragged herself from the couch to open the door. Oh cr**. What do you say or do in a situation like that? "Um...hello. We're here to meet Eric."

I couldn't understand much of what she said. Her voice shook almost as much as her hands. Sheesh, do I offer to help her back to the couch? I'm looking around for her son, and some guy wanders out, says "Strangers." and then he just leaves again. What the hell kind of people are these? Finally Eric comes out and shows us to the gaming room, but I'm seriously freaked out at this point.

We stick around for 3 hours or so, and they turn out to be really nice guys, but they are definitely the stereotypical gamer guys. I'm not sure I want to go back, even though they're nice, so now I feel all guilty. But the house smelled icky, the gaming room really didn't have much in the way of air conditioning, so we were sweltering, and they play games I'm not much interested in. Ugh.

So when we left, I started thinking about the gaming group I left behind in Virginia, and then I got all homesick again. It's been 11 months since I moved to Texas and I -still- don't feel like I belong here. I feel like I can go shopping back in Williamsburg, or go over to my friends' house and play with their cats and hang out to watch a movie. Something's not right here. *sigh*

So I decided that I'm going to tell them at work that I need a break. I need some time to visit my friends and family, and my HS reunion is coming up. It's a good time to go, and since they idiot contract board manager decided that our first draft is due Aug 11, there's no need for me to stay in town at the end of August anymore. Then I think we're gonna try to see the shuttle launch in December. It'll be interesting.
244/171

Nova

Postby DogMa » July 23rd, 2006, 9:10 pm

I'm so sorry, but the trip "home" will probably do you good. My experience here has been very different; I felt at home immediately (but maybe because I didn't live in my last home very long and hadn't put down any roots).

Do you guys have other interests that you might share with more normal people? (Not that you're not normal; I mean the weird gamers).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nova » July 24th, 2006, 2:34 pm

I know what you mean, DogMa. :) Yeah, I like to do jewelry making and quilting, and hubby likes computers and computer games and we both like SF movies and tv shows. We'll keep looking. I know you can't just go out looking for a new BFF in the mall; these things take time and good luck. I think I'll try to take more leisure learning classes, and check out the local paper more for happenings.
244/171

Nova

Postby Serendipity » July 24th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Nova, I quilt, too! And I must say some of my best friends are quilters. Have you thought of maybe taking a quilting class at a local shop. Even though I would consider myself and intermediate quilter, I still take a class every now and then just for the social factor.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Nova » July 24th, 2006, 7:22 pm

I'd think about taking a class sometime. There's only so much time and money that I have. :) Right now, I'm taking a wire wrapping class from the lapidary place. I also want to take a silver smithing class eventually. But yeah, I need to scope out some quilting places.

Evidently I need to pay more attention to the tropics. I just watched the tropical update, and hey, there's a tropical system south of us and moving up tomorrow. Luckily, it's very small and disorganized. Only a rainmaker, but yeah. I need to pay more attention to the weather.

Hubby took me out for dinner tonight, and we went to a new Mexican place that just opened up. I was worried when I looked through the menu because they didn't have any salads or any vegetables on the menu. I asked the server if I could get fajita chicken with extra veggies, and I got a great meal. Maybe a little too much oil in it, but otherwise a great L&G.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » July 25th, 2006, 6:57 pm

For the first time in months, actually, I think the first time ever on MF, I forgot to eat. Not once, but twice in two days. Last night, I was running late on my meals, so my last one was supposed to be around 11 pm. I thought, no problem, I'll have my pudding and go to bed. I got distracted playing a game, and suddenly it was 12:30. I was too tired to eat, so I thought missing one meal won't hurt me, and it won't happen again.

Today, I got so busy working on contract stuff, I forgot to eat my afternoon meal and went 4 hours. I've gone 4 hours before, but I've always been starving when I do. I had to convince myself to make a shake and drink it. I don't know what's changed, except that I haven't exercised at all in the last 2 weeks. I've been active and trying to walk around the office and at home a lot, but I haven't done any hard cardio or weights. It's an interesting data point.

I went shopping at Marshall's for the first time this evening. I needed a simple black tshirt, and that's a cool store. I think I'll be going back there.
244/171

Nova

Postby Unca_Tim » July 26th, 2006, 12:24 am

You're in that Medi-Zone baby....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nova » July 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm

It just feels so wrong to be in the 'zone' when I'm not exercising. I feel like I'm teaching myself bad habits for when I get to transition.

I'm applying for a new job tomorrow. I found out about it today. It was one I wanted to apply for a couple months ago, but I missed the announcement. Turns out, the woman they offered it to, turned them down. So they're readvertising, and this time, I'm getting my resume in. Got it entered, and tomorrow I'll do the final proof before I submit it. The job's in Florida and it's a promotion, so I'm stoked. We'll see.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » July 29th, 2006, 8:34 am

So the saga of Floyd continues. In my heart, I don't think he doped, but it's going to be impossible for him to prove. Even if he is cleared, he'll always have that cloud hanging over him. That's so sad.

On a happier note, I convinced a woman at work to start MF. She was impressed with how much weight I'd lost, and I told her about the MF program. She said I must have been sent by God because she was just about to talk to her doctor about getting lap band surgery. I'm glad she's trying MF before surgery. Any surgery is scary. There's a guy I work with who's doing it too, but he's not sticking to the program very well. I'm about to tell him he should stop wasting his money and sell me the rest of his meals and just go to the gym more. He's only got 30 pounds to lose, and I don't think he's gone more than 2-3 days without some sort of cheat or break.

Bought tickets to go home in September. Sure hope they approve my leave request, since I've already bought the non-refundable tickets.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » August 1st, 2006, 2:30 pm

Been too busy to post much. We now have overtime available to us, should we need it. We will. I'm shocked that they actually authorized overtime instead of comp time. Was really grumpy last night at my boss because of the whole vacation issue. WHen I got home, I had a new video game to try. It basically involved racing at high speeds and crashing other cars on purpose. Great way to blow off steam.

Bought my plane tickets this weekend, and ended up pissing off my boss because he hadn't approved everything yet, even though according to the schedule, all our work will be done and in review by then. But he can take off whenever he wants. :x He's denying all leave until Labor Day, at least. But I should still be able to take my trip, and if they do cancel it, I can refund the tickets, sorta. Not a big deal.

It's hot here in Houston, but I think it's actually 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the country. That's wierd. I just expect it to be hot, so I'm not bothered at all.

Counted up how much I'd spent on new clothes last month, andit was too much! Have to hold back on buying new clothes, but that's gonna be hard. I'm losing at a good clip right now. I've only got 2 size 12 skirts and one pair of shorts. So I'll need a few pants, at the least. Plus something nice to wear when I go home.

Not exercising and losing weight at a great clip. That's so wierd, but for now, I'm not gonna fight it. I don't have a lot of time to devote to exercising, and I'm trying to do little things like park farther away or go for an evening 'constitutional'.

My new eating plan seems to be helping too. Instead of forcing myself to wait 3 hours, I only make myself wait 2 hours at a minimum. If I'm hungry, I eat. If it means I eat 6 supplements I day, I don't worry about it, but so far, it hasn't happened. Instead, I actually forgot once or twice, to eat my last supplement. I think I just have to group them closer together in the middle of the day.

I know 3 people at work doing medifast, and of them, 2 can't seem to stay on the program. One is changing jobs, and the other stopped so she could go to Vegas for a week. Got me to thinking. I made a committment to see this thing through until the end, and because of that, I've changed my schedule to accomodate losing weight for this year. We're -not- going to Vegas, and even though I'm applying for a new job, I'm not skipping or cheating or anything. I guess it doesn't really matter how easy or hard a program is. Almost any program will help you lose weight if you stick to it. Maybe it's just a matter of being in the right frame of mind. I know lots of people who've lost 40-80 pounds by diet and exercise, but I didn't. I know people who lost by WW, but that's not for me. I'm not so sure that it's Medifast, although I like the food and the program is easy for me, as it's the fact that I was ready to make a change. Medifast is just the path I'm using.
244/171

Nova

Postby Nova » August 1st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Oh yeah. I was running a search agent for certain jobs, and one came up, but it was for environmental restoration. A woman I used to work with, Donna, does that, and I know she was half looking for a new job, so I sent her the link. In return, she calls me back the next day and points out another job that I had been looking for. They posted it with such a non-descript title that I passed right over it. So I applied for a new job this past Friday. I was so nervous when I hit submit. I really want that job. It's a promotion and a move to Florida. My family goes to Florida fairly often for vacations, so that would be great. Here's hoping I get to the interview stage at least!
244/171

Nova

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal