Newbie in Southern California here

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Newbie in Southern California here

Postby LoriHatesOkra » April 25th, 2007, 7:29 am

Just a warning... I like to talk... a LOT! lol

Hi guys! I've been lurking for a few days and decided I needed to join. I had a very bad diet day yesterday and just wanted to quit. I've been on the diet for just over a month now and have come to realize there are very few of the supplements that I can stomach. The more I eat those few the more I'm getting burnt out on them. I think I just needed a pity party yesterday because I woke up feeling fine this morning. :dunno:

Anyway, a little more about me. My name is Lori (sorta obvious ;) ) I'm 26 and as of last month I'm engaged to the love of my life, Jack. We've been dating for 6 years so it's about time! No, I'm not doing the diet just for my wedding. I think that's the stupidest question and people keep asking me. I think next time someone asks I'm going to answer like this "Yes, I'm doing the diet just for my wedding and I'm hoping to gain the weight back as soon as possible after it" lol. I'm doing it for my life, for my health and happiness and yes, looking hot on my wedding day is an added bonus.

I am attending the TSFL meetings every Thursday but I missed the last 2 meetings due to illness. I've also been off the exercise wagon due to my illness as well. I wound up with a lovely upper respiratory infection and am having a hard time breathing so until that goes away it's strictly diet and no exercise. :( I'm hoping to give the ol' treadmill another shot on Monday and see how it goes. So far in the first month I'm down about 23 pounds and have another 100 to go. I've been trying to take weekly pictures and yesterday I compared my 1 month to my day 1 photo and WOW! What a difference! It's so encouraging to see yourself just melting away.

A questions for you guys:

What do you do when you feel like you've just had it with the food?

A little background on how my diet started. My doctor put me on the full fast (5 supplements - shakes only) and within 4 days I was puking from the shakes. I was to the point that I would rather have starved then drank another shake. The nutritionist thinks I just couldn't handle the sweeteners in them. I don't know. Luckily my mom who says she's doing the 5&1 (and doesn't realize fast food doesn't count as a lng lol) had soups and what not and sent me some food. It was like heaven to get something of substance and I've since stopped drinking the shakes all together. I slowly started getting burnt out on some of the soups since that was all I was eating and am now eating the oatmeal 2 times a day, usually 1 bar and a stew. I've also gotten to the point where I am eating a lng meal every day instead of my 5th supplement. The doctor had told me that if I "absolutely felt like I needed it" I could replace a supplement with the lng. Well, it's become a daily thing. It's not that I need it, it's that I don't want to eat any more supplements and that seems to be the only thing that saves me every day. I guess in a way that means I do need it.

Ok, that's enough rambling. Thanks for having me here!
LoriHatesOkra
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » April 25th, 2007, 8:02 am

Hi Lori and welcome,
:wave:

Go over to the "Lean Cuisine" forum and dig around for some recipes that might make the program more palatable for you.
I'm sure others will chime in here with some more ideas.

Have you tried the Okra diet yet?
:mrgreen:

Glad you found us.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Mike » April 25th, 2007, 9:27 am

First off....welcome.
Second.... I keep wondering myself..... the standard for the full fast is 6 products. I'm wondering if the doctors who are using the program understand this?
Third, you aren't the first person I have heard of that can't handle the shakes. Perhaps you might check the product list and find things that sound better to you. There is a big variety of products that aren't shakes. Maybe try a ready to drink and see if it works better for you. If not, put together a package of things that might work better for you (scrambled eggs, oatmeal, pudding, soups, bars, etc.)
Last, we are all here to support you, so use us. Good luck, and happy wedding.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby j0j0ruca » April 25th, 2007, 9:56 am

Hiya! We are about the same age (I'll be 30 the end of this year) and I'm in Southern CA too - inbetween Riverside and Orange County.

Welcome!
Start date: 2-05-07

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
j0j0ruca
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 25th, 2007, 10:14 am

Welcome Lori~

You have wonderful reasons for wanting to lose the weight. You should start and journal and write those down to remind yourself why you are doing this.

As for the supplements.....I have found only a few I like as well. I love the eggs. :hatch: I also like the oatmeal, pudding, bars and RTD shakes.

As Unca said, check out the Lean Cuisine thread. I really like the pancakes and the cookies that you can make out of the oatmeal. There's also a great recipe for a chocolate dessert made with oatmeal and pudding that is wonderful.

I'm glad you decided to join us.......I look forward to getting to know you better.

Donica
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Pashta » April 25th, 2007, 11:10 am

Hi, Lori! We could always use another talker around here, hehe! :mrgreen:
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby LoriHatesOkra » April 25th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies and welcomes!

I have to say OMG! You guys are geniouses with these recipes! There are so many things I want to try now! :D :D :D

I don't know where he got the 5 suppplements idea from and the more I talk to him and the nutritionist the more I realize they really don't know much about the program itself. I've been doing only 5 supp's or 4&1 since I started and it seems to be working for me, I'm not hungry and it works out perfectly time wise.

I came home for lunch and was going to eat my stew as usual but it's hot and none of the soups sounded good so I ate oatmeal cookies. I baked 3 batches of them last night and ate one batch and ziplocked the other 2... it worked out perfectly to have them on hand. I really can't wait to make some of these other recipes you guys have come up with. I really think this is going to help me greatly. I'm too damn stubborn to give up! lol
LoriHatesOkra
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby TonyR » April 25th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Welcome, and yeah some of the recipes are slammin!! If you can find the mexican chicken one that is excellent! Good luck to you!
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby pinkbugs471 » April 25th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Nice to meet you. :wave: welcome to the family.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Pashta » April 25th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Be careful with those cookies, they need to be refrigerated unless you would like some extra "green" with your meal... LOL.. :eck:
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Tawanda » April 25th, 2007, 2:52 pm

Pashta, lol!! Yep, I read that about the cookies, too. Refrigerate the extras or they get hairy.

Welcome to the forums! This is the best site with lots of support and encouragement. I've copied a lot of the recipes here and there are also tons of great recipes at the mymedifast dot com site that shouldn't be missed, too.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby lifelovinaries » April 25th, 2007, 4:57 pm

We welcome you and all of your words. You will find that we are a wonderful family, full of support. There are PLENTY of recipes (as everyone has said). I haven't tried any of them because it seems like I just don't have the time...but then again, i enjoy the shakes so I am also not forced to make the time. We do what we have to do and desperate times call for desperate measures. Even if you can stomach 1 shake a day, it at least gives you a break from the oatmeals/stews. After a while on the program, our tastes change, so don't give up on the products.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.