New Guy

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Sugar Free Red Bull - magic potion or Toxic Demon Sludge?

Postby allium » April 17th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Howdy, new guy here. I'm on day five and although there are no hunger problems, I'm feeling a little tired. I assume that's the metabolism change talking. I've always been a fan of Sugar Free Red Bull - 10 calories and 3 g carbs per can. Having one (no more than one a day, and not every day at that) seems to pick me up. So before I get too deep into it:

1) Will this screw up the 2-3 week transition period?
2) Will it cause any electrolytes in my body to spontaneously abandon ship?
allium

Postby Jan » April 17th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Hmmmm,
I'm not so sure about the Red Bull. Generally when you're feeling a bit tired it's a salt thing. Have a cup of regular old chicken bouillon or beef bouillon. It will replace some needed salts -- get the electrolyte balance back and generally make you feel more energetic. :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby falisamarie » April 17th, 2006, 2:26 pm

I would be sure to read the nutritional info and see how many carbs are in it and also check the ingredients for sucrose of glucose as these are sugars just not prosessed ones.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » April 17th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Dear Allium ~

Welcome to you! Day 5 already - good for you.

There are many energy products available and one can spend a lot of time trying to determine which way to go. Most energy drinks add a lot of caffeine and sugar. Even though the Red Bull you cite is sugar-free, it does contain carbs and it is best not to add additional carbs to the meal plan. It can affect weight loss.

Before I unloaded my lardage, I used to be so weary that I could hardly remain upright in my office chair. I felt like I needed a seatbelt to keep me from slipping under my desk. I laughed when I saw George Costanza on Seinfeld make a little sleeping compartment under his desk for his post lunch snore. I could so relate to that!

Most people find their energy level increasing during the first week as they go through detox from processed food.

Jan's right - usually it is a loss of sodium that can leave us feeling worn out. If your physician has not limited your sodium intake, use bouillon or the regular broth to give you a boost.

We always welcome inquiries and enjoy hearing from newbies. BTW, alliums are beautiful flowers.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Drama Queen » April 17th, 2006, 4:07 pm

I think Nancy answered your question quite well. I just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum. We love having the guys join us. Although, we do get a little jealous of how much faster you men seem to drop the weight. Keep us posted on your progress!!
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 17th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Wow, this is really starting to become a boy's club ... :lol: That's okay cuz we love you guys. Welcome to the group!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby wildtrk » April 17th, 2006, 5:18 pm

From one newb to another....welcome. Day 4 here.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby mamabear » April 17th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Welcome!!! :D
mamabear
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » April 17th, 2006, 9:48 pm

allium ~

:oops: Sorry, I forgot to address your question about the electrolytes abandoning ship...

I don't think you need to worry about pirates attacking your bodyship, hoisting the kicking and screaming electrolytes and carrying them off to some wayward island but I heard a doctor address the issue of the importance of water at a health conference I attended.

He said that caffeine is dehydrating and we need to add a glass of water for every cup of coffee or caffeinated tea product we drink.

He said that drinking chilled water burns more calories than drinking room temp water. Our body has to work harder to deal with the cold water.

I suppose every one is :runner: :puma: running for the freezer now to grab a 10 pound bag of ice to chill their water and hooking up to a thermo-caloric measuring device to see if a gazillionith of a calorie is burned up as they :buddies: guzzle a gallon of 33 degree water...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Ice Water

Postby allium » April 18th, 2006, 3:02 am

Thanks for the advice and support. Now that I think about it, I seem to start the day tired and cranky and mellow out as time passes. I'll try and have my first Medifast meals earlier.

As for the effect of ice water, one "large calorie" (aka the kind on food labels) is equal to 4180 joules (the base metric unit of energy).

The specific heat capacity of water (the amount of energy it can absorb) is around 4.2 joules/gram-degree Celsius - this changes depending on pressure and temperature conditions, but it's 3:00 AM and I don't care. 16 ounces of water takes up about 400 cubic centimeters of space (and therefore weighs about 400 grams). The difference between the temperature of ice water and human body temperature is around 37 degrees Celsius.

Therefore, it takes (4.2*400*37) = around 62000 joules, or around 15 calories, to heat up that big glass of ice water after you drink it. It's not infinitesimal, but I wouldn't throw out that old fridge in order to buy a new one with an icemaker. Unless your pet gerbil's into snowboarding or something.
allium

Postby lauradr » April 18th, 2006, 4:43 am

Allium , Welcome to the team :D :D
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Lauren » April 18th, 2006, 6:44 am

Allium-

My pet gerbil's into snowboarding...what's it to ya?

:-)

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the totally bizarre science class - perhaps more than we need to know, but hey, always up for learning something new. What's funny is that you said it would take about 15 calories to "warm up" the water in our body, and on this LIMITED calorie diet, that actually did make me happy!

God that's sad...

Let us know if you need any help.

Ciao!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » April 18th, 2006, 8:02 am

<----------- out to buy mittens for my gerbil.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Lauren » April 18th, 2006, 8:18 am

Ha!
Lauren

Postby ascicles » April 18th, 2006, 8:36 am

I almost always drink room temperature water. I find that I have a harder time handling ice cold water, while I can chug warmer water without a problem. I haven't really noticed any problems in my weightloss, so I'm not too concerned about it right now...but maybe I'll try the occasional icewater in the future.

Also, welcome to the board. Three aren't many guys here, but we have a select few. Just watch out, the ladies on here will refer to you as female quite often. I've learned to deal with it, and I am able to gain a bit of revenge when I am able to continue losing weight while they are stalled during their "time of the month"!

Also, be careful about certain ladies trying to call you Daddy.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Next

Return to Come on in.