MyFriendTT (AKA Theresa)

1 Thread per registered User.

MyFriendTT (AKA Theresa)

Postby MyFriendTT » June 18th, 2006, 1:05 pm

WOW! How cool to be able to have your own journal to post whenever you want. I’ve been keeping a written journal since I was 15, so I have about 38 books filled. I still love to write by hand, but this might be a fun way to get some of my MF thoughts in every once in a while. I’ve never posted to a forum before so this should be interesting.

A little bit about me: Female, 38, 5’2”, 167, hoping to get down to 110-120 (that may seem a little tough, but I’m in the entertainment business and you are better off being really heavy or really skinny and there’s no in-between). No medications or health issues, not married, no kids. I live in Los Angeles. And I have a weekend boyfriend who lives an hour and a half away.

I’ve been really good on my Solution plan with my emotional eating and since my drive to overeat has virtually turned off, I just wanted to get rid of the weight quickly. Three other women who have done the Solution have been on MF and had success so I thought it would be a breeze for me.

So far, its been really tough and has upped my need for more emotional skills. I’ve been tired and hungry ever since I started on June 3rd, 2006. Tired and hungry = depressed, because I don’t have the energy to do what I enjoy or what I need to do.

I was doing the full fast the first 8 days and did six meal replacements, one snack, one pickle and 100 oz of water a day. And I had done a week of Atkins to get into ketosis so I thought it would be easy once I got my MF. But those first 8 days I was just tired and hungry and I called my HA and she said just to stick with it.

After a few more days of “just sticking with it” and only losing one pound for the entire week, I called the Medifast nurse on Monday the 12th and she asked me what I was eating. I told her that I was doing the full fast and following the Quick Start Guide 100%. So she quickly calculated my carbs:

Shake 13
Shake 13
Bar 22
Oatmeal 16
Chili 16
Crackers 12
Shake 13

Total 105!!!

And if you subtract the fiber, that should be 85 NET carbs, but she said I needed to count ACTUAL carbs!!!

I was well over her recommendation of 80-85 carbs, which, by the way, is nowhere mentioned in the Quick Start Guide, though after searching this board I have seen it mentioned (It REALLY needs to go into a sticky in the newbie or FAQ’s section!). She also said that since my mother was a Type II diabetic, I might be “carb-sensitive” and probably need to give up eating the bars or snacks on this plan, especially since I don’t need to lose 100 pounds or more and to switch to one L&G since that would be one meal of only 10 carbs or less. I have to switch to the 5 & 1 to eat LESS carbs!

So, I’ve had to RE-START the program, and monitor my carbs LIKE A HAWK, starting on Monday the 12th.

Well, the last several RESTART days have been the worst nightmare of EXHAUSTION and STARVATION. And even though the ketostix say “trace”, I’m still REALLY tired and pretty hungry. My new plan is this:

Shake 13
Shake 13
Shake 13
L&G 10 (or less)
Chili/oatmeal 16
Shake 13

Total 78

So, now its Sunday and I’ve been between 80-85 carbs all week, but I am STILL hungry and STILL tired and I’ve only lost 2 pounds for my first “under 85 carbs” week. The ketostix show a trace or small amount each day so I’m in ketosis, but struggling.

I don’t know how I will keep this up if I continue to be so tired and hungry. Its just too depressing to be so exhausted. I don’t even have the energy to see my boyfriend so I told him not to come over this weekend.

Someone mentioned that the diabetic products and teas have fewer carbs so I ordered them for my next batch of MF.

I also started my TOTM today so that could be why I’m tired and haven’t lost a ton of weight this week. Not sure. That’s never been a big factor for me before.

I did notice that I haven’t been eating my MF at the same time every day – I’ve been spacing them out correctly, but the times have been different every day because of my schedule. So, starting today, I’m going to eat at exactly the same time every day and see if that makes a difference.

I’m also going to try the MyMedifast tool. I e-mailed MF to see if I can get a link to it.

I’m really missing exercise. I’ve always been an avid exerciser and I’ve been doing Power of 10 weight training twice a week for a year and a half plus walking 30 mins a day. I tried a light weight workout a week or so ago and was just too exhausted and had an extra shake, which I think took me out of ketosis. And I can only walk really slowly for 30 mins or less right now. Yesterday I hiked for 40 mins and was exhausted and spent for the rest of the day.

So, for the rest of June – no weights, and walking only 10-20 mins lightly daily. When I get some energy back, I’ll add more.

To remind myself of new plan:

1) 3 shakes, 2 low-carb meal replacements, one L&G (less than 10 carbs) 80-85 carbs, 800-850 cals, plus 100 oz of water.

2) Eat at the same time every day.

3) Get MyMedifast tool going to track it all.

4) Low to no exercise for the remainder of June.

5) Keep up with my solution work and speak to the nurse again on Monday for more suggestions.

Okay.

And today, I’m grateful for getting below 170. I’m grateful that I’m down 5 pounds since the end of May. I’m so happy to have finally broken the 170 curse!! I’m happy that I have next week off to relax and take care of my body while it is adjusting. I feel secure that this will work for me. I feel secure that I will reach my ideal weight by my birthday – November 27th. I feel proud of myself for working so hard on my solution that I could do a program like MF. I feel proud of myself for sticking with it even though it’s been harder for me than for most people.

I intend to have a relaxing and above the line day.

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
MyFriendTT
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby TheShadow » June 19th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Hang in there! I know this is your journal to write in but you sounded so frustrated I just want to say that I know you will lose, it's just the old TOM. When that's over you will get a good surprise. Come in here and vent, but don't go off plan. You're going to be even more beautiful than you already are.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby MyFriendTT » June 19th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Thanks, Shadow, for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate it! :D

Last night I took a Pepcid for the first time and that seemed to help that gnawing, hungry feeling and I took another one this morning first thing. I'm going to try that for a week or so because the extra stomach acid might be what's going on with me.

Also, I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm 164 so I actually lost another pound! Yeah! Since my usual weigh-in is on Monday, I'm down 3 pounds for my first week, but I'm going to move my weigh-ins to Sunday so I can be 'part of the gang', so this pound will count in next week's weigh-in. And my size 14 pants are getting big! There is NO WAY I will go off plan! I went through my old journal from back in 1991 when I was on Clini-fast for a few months and it was SOOO interesting.

First, I struggled with the same hunger issues I have now, but then after the first week, the doctor told us to get regular exercise and not only did it slow my weight loss down, it made me more tired! And I couldn't stick to the plan because of my emotional eating and gained it back quickly. Also, the only choices were chocolate, vanilla and chicken soup back then! Man, how times have changed!

Now, that I've got the emotional eating "licked" and I have the support and knowledge from the Medifast staff and forum (esp. about the exercise, evenly spacing out shakes and dealing with hunger), I feel pretty secure that this is going to work, even if it takes me longer than some people.

All for now.

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby MyFriendTT » June 20th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Woke up this morning with a little more energy than yesterday, but exhausted by the afternoon. I'm still dealing with a lot of hunger so I'm hoping that the Pepcid will help.

I've had to drink coffee to get enough energy to do anything around the house for the last 2 weeks. That's a bummer because I had given it up completely over a month ago and didn't want to get into the habit again. Well, once the fat-burning energy kicks in, I should be able to kick it again.

Also, historically, I start to get energy back once I pass the 160 lb mark and that is only 4 lbs away. If I'm lucky, I'll be seeing 160 sometime in the next week and a half.

I really hate it that being tired makes me so dang depressed. Ugh! I also hate it that it takes me longer to get into the fat-burning stage than most people. This happened when I was on Atkins over 10 years ago - I was tired for 3 weeks and couldn't take it anymore and finally ate some carbs and was back to 'normal'. Well, this time I need to stick it out no matter what and no matter how long it takes to get that energy back with the decreased hunger.

And, today I'm grateful for my BF.
I'm grateful for this support forum.

I'm happy that I've lost 10 pounds since I came back from my sister's graduation.
I'm happy that I've lost 5 pounds since June 1st.
I'm happy that my body is starting to get used to this.

I feel secure that the hard part is almost over.
I feel secure that I can do this for the long haul.
I feel secure that I am going to stick to the plan and not deviate even a little.

I'm proud of myself for taking on this challenge.
I'm proud of myself for loving myself just the way I am and being ok with all the changes as well.
I'm proud of myself for doing all the personal growth work that allows me to do this program without hesitating.

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby jump4joy » June 20th, 2006, 8:25 pm

You should be proud of yourself! You sound so determined and I can see you are a problem-solver. Good for you for hanging tough these last few hard weeks!

I used to be an avid exerciser too, and I really miss my running and strength-training. I get too fatigued also, so I've had to give up the weights for now, and just do an easy 30 min. walk on the treadmill. Three years ago, I'd lost 63 lbs. on Medifast and was only about 10 lbs. from my goal weight when I thought it was time to add in some weight-lifting, and my hair started falling out in handfuls. I guess my system was too much on the edge. I gained it all back mostly because I hadn't learned how to deal with my emotional eating, but I've been working on that. I've decided not to add in the weights until I get to goal this time....don't want to slow things down. I think Medifast is a great plan, though. I've found the right diet for me, now I just gotta do it till I get it right.

You have an unusual and amazing confidence, TT! I know you'll be an outstanding success.

Joy
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy

Postby Lizabette » June 23rd, 2006, 8:34 pm

WOW, TT, and WELCOME!

What a time you have been having...but hey, you are handling things just fine. You are quite an experienced journalist---which reminds me, I haven't done anything in mine today.

Hope that everything goes well with you in your MF journey, and my, what a journey it is for all of us!

But what great rewards are in store for us as we complete our trip to 'thinsville'. :drive: And say, I'll stop for you if you have a little trouble along the way.

Keep up the good work, honey, I like your style!

:heart:

Lizabette
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby MyFriendTT » June 23rd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Joy and Lizabette -- thank you so much for the encouragement. I REALLY need it right now.

Yesterday, I actually had energy again for the first time in weeks so I went to the beach and walked along the ocean (slowly) for two hours. Then I slept like a rock!

And when I woke up today I still had some energy and was really excited to get stuff done. I went to my doctor's office first for some blood tests. We tested cholesterol, potassium, iron and for Epstein-Barr, because I've been so fatigued lately. I'll get the results, along with a thyroid ultrasound I did, next week when I see her. I'm especially hoping for good news with my cholesterol. In Dec. it was 218 and I promised her I'd do everything in my power to bring it down naturally because I didn't want to take any meds. I've lost about 10 lbs since then and made sure that hydrogenated oil is nowhere in my diet (except for the occasional MF bar) so I'm hoping for good news.

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby MyFriendTT » June 23rd, 2006, 9:02 pm

Today I took a nice 40 min. walk around Silver Lake, got some L&G groceries and came home. Then, I crashed. I obviously did too much yesterday because today I've been STARVING AND EXHAUSTED again. Well, its not like the hunger has EVER gone away, but I had more energy yesterday than I had in a while. Anyway, I took a three hour nap! And I haven't been able to do much else.

I got an e-mail from my HA yesterday about my concerns with the program. She spoke to Nancy who recommended bouillion a couple of times a day for the hunger, plus the Pepcid. I haven't been having bouillion because most are made with MSG and the fast soups have 4 carbs. She also said I might need an appetite suppressant if the Pepcid doesn't help. So, I'll try the bouillion (some non-MSG brand) and fast soups and talk to my doc about appetite suppression.

No real noticeable difference with the Pepcid, so starting tomorrow I'm going to double the dose.

I think my main problem is candida. I had a couple of colonics last year and the woman said that since I was so hungry in between sessions, that I was dealing with candida. I had an idea that she might be right because I had dealt with it before and gone on a yeast-starving diet which helped for a while.

I did a lot of research and I found some supplements to help and have been taking them for over 6 months, but haven't really noticed any difference. I'm worried that all the sugar in the MF is making it worse, as I don't normally have things with corn syrup. I wrote to the supplement people and they told me to up the dose for a month, so I'll try that.

My main concern is that I start acting classes again in a few days and if I'm exhausted, I'll suck big time and not get into the advanced class that I really want to be in! :( I guess I'll be drinking coffee for a while.

Well, that's it for me today.
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby DogMa » June 23rd, 2006, 10:01 pm

BTW, TT, I noticed today that the cream of broccoli soup has only 10 grams carb per packet. So that's a better choice for you, too. And no sugar or HFCS, as far as I know (I didn't actually check that, but it would be weird to have anything sweet in it).

I hope things get better for you soon!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby jump4joy » June 24th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Hi TT!

When I was on MF in 2001, my Dr. had me on a double dose of Pepcid for my hunger-pangs too. It helped. But then I had to move to a prescripion for Prilosec because it turned into acid reflux. Thank goodness it's now over-the-counter.

I was thinking about you and hoping you are feeling better today.

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy

Postby MyFriendTT » June 24th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Hi Robin and Joy, thanks for the extra tips and the support. Honestly, it means sooo much to me that people are responding to me on this board!!

I started doubling the Pepcid dose today so we'll see how that goes. I'm supposed to see my doc this coming Thurs so I'm going to mention taking something prescription if I haven't seen a noticeable difference by then.

Joy, did you have to take something for acid reflux BECAUSE you took the pepcid? Or was it something else that caused it? I used to suffer from acid reflux years ago, but it went away when I gave up all hydrogenated oil and really acidic things. I also use a product to make my water more pH balanced and that helps with not getting sick too.

Also, I appreciate the note about the Cr of Broccoli soup, Robin. I got a box with my first month's supply and noticed that it had fewer carbs, so I eat that on a day that I want to have a bar (I'm only have a bar every 5 days and with lower carb items). And I just got my package of all new stuff, including all the diabetic shakes, yesterday, so I'm interested to see how that affects my weight.

Still plugging along...

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby MyFriendTT » June 24th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Meanwhile, I slept pretty well last night and had a decent amount of energy so far today -- definitely better than yesterday. I had a little bit of coffee about an hour ago so I would have enough energy for an audition I have a little bit later. And I'm going to take a nice stroll around the lake or a nice neighborhood today.

I bought some Stevia Spoonable, that was recommended from a friend because it has no calories and no carbs, which is better than Splenda. So I tried 1/4 tsp in my coffee. WOW. It was too sweet!! What a surprise! And it didn't have that bitter aftertaste that I've noticed with other Stevia products. I'm so happy to have found an alternative to artificial sweeteners with NO carbs!

I've been a little bit depressed in general lately and have been wondering why I haven't been my optimistic self lately. First, the lack of energy has been getting to me, but today I noticed that I was sad in my commercial class and I think that this is part of it. My teacher is always talking about students he has that have booked commercials and made tons of money and how he booked tons when he was going out and made bank.

Meanwhile, he thinks I'm the best in the class (and frankly, I agree).. but that's because I've been auditioning for commercials steadily for the past two years!! But I haven't booked anything!

I've been feeling like "when will it be my turn?" "Why haven't I booked?" "There are all these people I've met who are NOT that talented and they've booked, why not me?" and that gets me down.

I can't blame it on the weight because I go out on auditions at this weight and see tons of other people at auditions that are heavier than I am, though I notice thinner people in commercials more often than not.

So, I just need to keep plugging away like I am with MF. As long as I stay positive, proactive and keep visualizing success, it HAS to happen for me. Plus, there's probably a lesson in patience here somewhere that I'm learning.

So, for anyone reading this, help me out by visualizing massive success for me -- then when I book something, it will be a collaborative victory!!! :)

Ok, all for now.
TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby Lizabette » June 24th, 2006, 4:28 pm

TT,

Sounds like you are doing some 'positive' thinking about your auditions.

You have whetted my interest about what kind of auditions you are doing. Will we see you some day on TV?
Hey, we can say we 'knew you when'...

I am trusting that your doctor can help with your energy situation. We want you to feel optimistic and energetic as you should be.

How tall are you, baby, with your goal of 110. We wouldn't want you to blow away in a strong wind.

We'll help you visualize and pray for you that your auditions will be hugely successful.

You are doing fine, girl.

Lizabette
Lizabette

Postby MyFriendTT » June 24th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Hey Lizabette! Thanks for the inspiring words!

And, I'm 5'2"... on a good day when my hair is BIG! I've been 110 before and its a good weight for me, but it depends on how much muscle I have. So, I set the goal for 110, but I might be a super-svelte 125 if I'm lifting a lot of weight and I'd be perfectly happy with that. And I come from solid peasant stock so no need to worry about me blowing away -- even when I'm slim, I can still arm wrestle, and beat, most of 'em!

And -- as far as acting goes -- I act in anything I can get my hands on. I was on Off-Broadway over 10 years ago and did a few HBO specials, but recently, however, I haven't been in anything worth bragging about. I've done some independent films that no one will ever get to see (no distribution) and some background work (which means I'm basically a walking prop that gets $54 a day and a free lunch). So, believe me, when I book a national commercial or a few lines on LOST, I will tell everyone!!!!

So, everyone keep me in your prayers and visualize big success for me. Heck, I'd go on record in People magazine that I did Medifast and it worked for me!

TT
Started 6/3/06
168/156/118

[/url]
MyFriendTT

Postby Lizabette » June 24th, 2006, 7:34 pm

YOU'RE WONDERFUL, TT!

And I'm proud to know you. And I know you're beautiful, too.

Have you posted any 'before' pictures? I'd love to see you on your avatar.

You have the determination it takes to do and be anything you set your mind to, and that is not just a trite statement. It is absolutely true!

Count me in your cheering section for a successful acting career! :cheerleader:

You must keep us updated on your auditions, etc.

Lizabette
Lizabette

Next

Return to My Journal