Memorial Day Weekend Tips

Meet Terry and Nancy.

Memorial Day Weekend Tips

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 8:46 pm

Howdy, Everybuddy and Everybuddyettes ~

It's nearly Memorial Day and that means the unofficial start of summer barbecues and family get-togethers are about to begin. :shock:

Sort of a sweet 'n sour time of the year...sweet being outside, hanging out with friends but sour because warmer weather means we'll want to shed some layers of our clothing and we may hafta reveal our chubby thighs in public. :oops:

Holiday tips…

If you are going to a Memorial Day function…know in advance that your weight can fluctuate even when you are program-complaint because of the change in your daily routine, the stress, travel conditions such as sitting in a car or airplane can make us withhold water. Be sure to keep up with our water intake.

After an event, to prevent discouragement and depression, do not weigh for several days…sometimes the stress of the event or lack of sleep can cause the scale to make a temporary northern slide.

Avoid alcohol as it has many calories - empty calories – it is sugar and carbs, no protein. It is not one of the ‘5’ for folks on the 5 & 1 Plan. In moderation, we can have it once we get to weight management but not now.

When we have alcohol, we let our guard down and suddenly can find our hand in the breadbasket heading for our mouth…

How to deal with those social ‘adult’ situations: when others are drinking alcohol and you wish to avoid it without wimping out…wash out a beer bottle, fill it with some Club soda and walk around w/ it in your hand and sip away – be giddy and silly over the fact that you are getting thinner while others will have a headache and weigh more the next day.

If you are exercising, stick with your daily plan when you go out of town - do your sit-ups, ask friends to take a walk with you, go for a bike ride, etc.

Eat a shake before you go to the special eating event – many times when we have friends over, we are busy getting the house cleaned up, the meal prepared ‘just so’ and we fail to eat our Medimeals on time – that sets us up for a possible foody failure. When going to a friend’s house for supper or meeting people at a restaurant there is typically a lag-time before the actual meal arrives. Having a 90-100 calorie low fat shake just before you enter the residence or restaurant will give you the energy you need for the social encounter and prevent us from porking-out on a basket of deep-friend onion rings.

Watch portion sizes: serving spoons are usually gargantuan or hugo-mundo… use a smaller plate, it is better to err on a smaller serving size than to take too much food.

I always had a hard time knowing how much food was ‘enough.’ If I had a large plate, my food covered the entire surface area and was piled deep. I wanted to get my money’s worth. Wanted to prevent those kidlets in China from starving…Once we have a gob of food on a large plate, it is hard to push some of it aside and leave it there; most people are geared to eat it all. Start off with a small amount of food on a small plate.

By all means, avoid the ‘tater salad and pass on the pasta salad…

Preparation is the key – have your packets ready and handy at all times. Keep a bottle of water in your hand.

Volunteer to take a veggie tray to the barbecue so there will be at least something ‘legal’ for you to eat.

Avoid the bowls of nuts, chips ‘n dips, etc. When others eat chips and salsa, have some celery or veggies with a small amount of salsa.

Visualize smaller jeans…
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 22nd, 2006, 9:44 pm

GREAT POST NANCY!

I forgot all the hidden scary things that come with this time of the year!

Thanks for the tips!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Denise » May 22nd, 2006, 10:23 pm

I will not eat hotdogs
I will not eat hotdogs
I will not eat hotdogs
I will not eat hotdogs
I will not eat hotdogs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » May 22nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

Hah! I like 'em, too. I just think about what they are made of and that prevents me from grabbing and snarfing one down...snouts and pig lips....
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Denise » May 22nd, 2006, 10:41 pm

Thanks Nancy! I will no longer be tempted by the Dogs! You have cured my cravings for life! :shock:
Denise
Preferred member

Postby Ketann » May 23rd, 2006, 3:58 am

They were selling hot dogs and soda at the grocery store the other day. It was a fund raiser for the less fortunate. I gave them a $10 dollar bill, but said no thanks to the dogs. I like helping people, but I'm no good to anybody if I'm sick.

Hugs,

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 23rd, 2006, 4:35 am

Thanks Nancy for always looking out for us!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby FORMOMMY » May 23rd, 2006, 6:07 am

Thanks Nancy - some great tips for a successful LOSER - hee hee
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby electra000 » May 23rd, 2006, 8:57 am

You could pretend that you are having a Bloody Mary !

Medifasters Cocktail

1 pouch Medifast creamy tomato soup
Pepper
1 Celery Stalk
Celery Salt
Worcestershire
Squeeze Lemon
Tabasco
Horseradish

Mix tomato soup as directed. Add pepper, celery salt, worcestershire, lemon juice, horseradish, and tabasco to taste. You can make it as spicy as you like it. Mix well then refrigerate to chill for 10 minutes. Pour over ice. Add celery stalk and enjoy !
electra000
Preferred member

Postby Denise » May 23rd, 2006, 9:57 am

Great Idea! I will have to try that! :)
Denise
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » May 23rd, 2006, 3:56 pm

Awesome!

Holy moly! :dooh: I never thought about adding 'horseyradish' and I LOVE that stuff! Thanks, Cheffette Electra! :chef:

I make just about this same concoction (up until now I left out the horseradish) with a squeeze of lime juice, chopped up a stalk of celery and nuked it and ate it with the Medifast Garden Veggie Crackers.

Worcestershire sauce is also good in the Minestrone soup...

Ketann, good for you for generously sharing your $ to help the needy and :clap: for keeping your lips sealed!

Our Safeway store always has a card table set up with Root Beer Floats, Strawberry Shortcake, a slice of pizza, etc. for sale for a $1.

I use the other door now to avoid the :twisted: temptation but it is nearer the bakery and deli sections so I make a sharp left upon making the entrance and head for the back of the store to the produce and fish market!

:scratchhead: Do ya ever get a bit cheesed with the way we are constantly :lightening: bombarded with grub?

I do not want to come face-to-face with tasty fatty foods all the time!

I discovered a new travel route to keep me from :drive: driving past the DQ (In my mind, I tell myself DQ stands for the Disgusting Queen-size Department), no longer does my route take me past the bakery where I used to donut dine in the parking lot and then ditch the empty bag in the trash bin...I stay in the far opposite lane from the Taco Smell driveway and keep my windows rolled up when I drive by Burglar King so the smell of broiled cow and deep fried artery-clogging sticks cannot waft into my nasies creating a desire to dine!

It's a :twisted: jungle out there, Folks!

We are :weightlift: stronger than French Fries! We are :whip: stronger than snouts and lips in a bun!

We are losers! :mrgreen:

Be strong! We are MakeMeThinner and Healtheir Peeps! :bouncieball:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby jump4joy » May 24th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the GREAT tips, Nancy! I'll admit that hotdogs have been a weakness of mine.....I'll just keep thinking "pig snouts and lips on a bun, pig snouts and lips on a bun, pig snouts and lips on a bun... :pigsfly: hee-hee! Oh! How I have a WEAKNESS for seasoned, processed meat....hotdogs, sausages, bratwurst, and the like! Thanks for giving me a tool to create an AVERSION to these!

There are MANY foodie dangers out there. :twisted: My religion prohibits alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, and tea. I wish it would prohit all junk and fast food, too! Maybe those foods could fall under the category of "gluttony". ;) It's very interesting to me to see what you wrote about putting Club Soda in a beer bottle.....in my Mormon culture, if I showed up with a beer bottle at a function it would be shockingly SCANDALOUS! :shock: We live in our own little sub-culture. :lol: So it's facinating to me to hear how people deal with the social drinking scene. Many of those tips can still apply to my own M-Fasting tho'.

Love, love, LOVE your posts Nancy! You always know how to say just the right and timely thing! 8)
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to A Message from your Hosts