meds changing

Questions/Comments about Diabetes Products.

meds changing

Postby JanTx » December 1st, 2004, 7:59 am

I just started MF Sunday so I'm not sure how to adjust my medications yet. I'm testing 3 times a day - and more - to try to figure it out. I haven't stopped any oral meds - Actos and Prandin - but I've been cutting back on my insulin according to what my glucose level is when it's time for a shot.

The biggest change I've found is my level is much more constant - 105 - 124. Usually a day can see me go from 47 - 290!

Here's the question: Last night my reading was 164. Why? I'm on the modified 5+1 plan. For supper I had a lean (95%) hamburger patty and vegetables - a frozen combo that listed 50 calories and 7 carbs perserving. There were 2.5 servings in the box and I shared with my husband - taking 1/3 of the total on my plate. I had a bar at 2:30, my last shake at 8:30.

Any ideas? Anyone else get a reading like that? It's not excessively high, but higher than I'd like it to be.
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"
(See? I'm NOT overweight, just undertall! So I need to be ... 7'2"?)

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Unca_Tim » December 1st, 2004, 8:48 am

What kind of veggies did you have?
Starchy veggies such as potatoes and corn can turn directly to sugar, and I just heard last nite on PBS (Diet Wars) that potatoes can spike your blood sugar more than straight refined sugar.
UT
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby JanTx » December 1st, 2004, 8:59 am

The potato thing is very true! A brownie doesn't spike it quite as much. A french fry is like glucose in an IV.

It was peppers, zucchini, mushrooms - in a "Tuscan" sauce. There were some carrots in there, but I left them for my husband. That may not be the MF version of "Lean and Green" so I'll stick to simpler veggies. Perhas it was the sauce? I thought the carb serving was reasonable - 14 carbs is considered one carb serving - raises the glucose level about 10 points - and this was 7.
11/28/2004

50 years old, 4'11"
(See? I'm NOT overweight, just undertall! So I need to be ... 7'2"?)

182/177/124
JanTx

Postby Nancy » December 1st, 2004, 4:18 pm

JanTx ~

re:
That may not be the MF version of "Lean and Green" so I'll stick to simpler veggies

no Tuscan sauces...sorry! :|

For your Info, here's the skinny on the

~ Medifast Recommended Lean and Green Meal ~

Lean Meat Intake ~
Women – 4-5 ounces Lean Meat
Men – 6-7 ounces Lean Meat

1. Weigh meat after removing any fat and bones, and AFTER cooking
2. Bake, broil or roast meat on a rack, or poach, or stir-fry in a non-stick pan with cooking spray.
3. Remove all visible fat before and after cooking; remove skin from poultry and fish before eating.

Green Salad or Vegetable Intake Serving a serving = ½ CUP

Option 1 You may have a green salad consisting of 1-2 cups of salad greens, any kind and up to ½ serving of chopped raw vegetables (this equates to ¼ cup of chopped veggies)

Salad Dressing: 1-2 Tablespoons of Low-fat or Non-fat dressing. Read the labels. Not all Low-fat or Non-fat dressings are low in calories or carbs. Many non-fat products use corn syrup as a thickener and they are loaded with carbs…high fructose = stored fat

OR

Option 2: Up to 3 servings of cooked vegetables (this equates to 1 ½ cups of cooked vegetables)

One serving of vegetables is ½ cup cooked or 1 cup raw vegetables~
:hmmm: Choose from these veggies ~

Asparagus
Beans (green, waxed yellow or Italian)
Beets
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots (they are a bit carby)
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant (Mrsshrinkinglady, I researched it and it IS legal! BTW, spray a pan with PAM™ and ‘fry’ it. It’s good with fresh oregano…)
Greens (collard, turnip)
Lettuce (Romaine, iceberg, bib, red-leaf)
Mushrooms
Okra
Onions
Peppers
Radishes
Snow Peas
Spinach
Summer squash (yellow crookneck)
Tomato
Turnips
Zucchini

Each item should have about 2 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbohydrates and total approx. 25 calories.

1. Steam, microwave or boil vegetables and sprinkle with herbs or spices

2. Use seasonings and condiments to add flavor and variety to your meal. Herbs, spices, horseradish, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, bouillon, or fat free broth.

Fluid Intake: Drink a daily minimum of 64 ounces of water. :water:

:secret: Remember, the skinny way is to obey the Medirules. When ya mess with Medifast, ya don't get skinny or healthy, safe and fast...

:leopard:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Diabetes