Medifast Bars question

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Postby Mike » October 25th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Just an even smaller postscript... this just in... the Chocolate Divine Bar is no more (may it rest in peace) :shoot:
It, like a number of other bars, has been reformulated. It now has NO HFCS, not trans fat, and bigger chunks of nut (soy or peanut... I don't recall). If you loved the Chocolate Divine, you may or may not feel the same of the new Chocolate Bar.
Also, the Oatmeal Raisin bar has been reformulated without HFCS and is supposed to taste more like an Oatmeal Raisin cookie.
New bars come with new orders.
This information was just sent in todays TSFL e-letter.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » October 25th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Are you sure that's true? The company didn't actually say that, unless you got a different newsletter than I did. This is what the company's e-mail said (the bold is mine):

In addition to the new Beef Vegetable Stew and Vanilla Pudding that we introduced the week of October 16th, we are excited to announce that we are in the process of reformulating our bars to improve them; and the delicious new Medifast Chocolate Bar and new Oatmeal Raisin Bar are now being shipped in all orders. The Chocolate Bar is crunchy and has soy crispies in it, and the Oatmeal Raisin Bar tastes similar to an Oatmeal Raisin cookie with the delightful coating on it.

Medifast recently adjusted the recipes of the Medifast bars slightly to improve the overall taste and flavor. The recipe change has slightly affected the texture and size of the bars, so it is normal if your most recent shipment of bars looks and tastes a little different than what you've enjoyed previously. We encourage your feedback on these new bars and hope that you enjoy these great tasting, new and improved bars!

In addition, we know many of you have had questions about the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our bars. Medifast is committed to providing great tasting, healthy foods using only the highest quality ingredients. Therefore, as noted above, Medifast is currently working to reformulate its line of Medifast bars to provide a better source of carbohydrate and will be removing High Fructose Corn Syrup. While the current bars have only a very minimal amount of HFCS and no trans fat, the new bars will contain no HFCS, no trans fat, will be slightly lower in total carbohydrate and will also have more protein and fiber. These new bars will be available sometime after the first of the year.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby TonyR » October 26th, 2006, 6:36 am

"we are excited to announce that we are in the process of reformulating our bars to improve them; and the delicious new Medifast Chocolate Bar and new Oatmeal Raisin Bar are now being shipped in all orders."

That right there seems to tell me that they ARE reformulated and each new one that is will not have HFCS.
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Mike » October 26th, 2006, 7:08 am

DogMa wrote:Are you sure that's true? The company didn't actually say that, unless you got a different newsletter than I did. This is what the company's e-mail said (the bold is mine):

In addition, we know many of you have had questions about the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our bars. Medifast is committed to providing great tasting, healthy foods using only the highest quality ingredients. Therefore, as noted above, Medifast is currently working to reformulate its line of Medifast bars to provide a better source of carbohydrate and will be removing High Fructose Corn Syrup. While the current bars have only a very minimal amount of HFCS and no trans fat, the new bars will contain no HFCS, no trans fat, will be slightly lower in total carbohydrate and will also have more protein and fiber. These new bars will be available sometime after the first of the year.
[/quote]

The bold part is what I noticed. Guess it won't be until January or so.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Mike » October 26th, 2006, 7:12 am

Nancy has posted regarding the changes. Check out the thread in her thread. www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-9682.html
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby DogMa » October 26th, 2006, 8:48 am

Yeah, I posted the same thing there. From what they said, they've reformulated some of the bars but they won't be removing the HFCS until "sometime after the first of the year." So it could be anytime after that. If it takes as long as the beef stew took (they'd been promising that one for ages), it could be awhile.

No one's saying not to eat the bars. I'm just saying that just like with anything you buy at the market, read the labels and know what you're eating.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Jan » October 26th, 2006, 10:37 am

Ohhh My Gooodness,
The truth of the matter is anyone can eat anything they choose. :D And some do choose to eat other things. It is completely up to the individual. Will they be following the Medifast program ??? -- no -- it's as simple as that.
I had a very very interesting visit with a lady --( at Starbucks )-- yesterday who is into "alternative medications" and "holistic medicines" and herbs. She has done a tremendous amount of research and is currently writing a book. What was sooo interesting to me was the fact that she spent quite a bit of time "educating me" about the differences in soy and grades of soy. ( I actually knew that because of Dr. Andersens training and certificatiion) but-- it was really really neat to hear it from a source outside of the "business". She was absolutely correct soy is not soy. You can't go just by the fact that soy is listed as a protein source on the label. Your body handles different kinds of soy differently and each has a different effect. Some more significant than others. If we choose to "fool around" we can. I personally don't think it's a wonderful idea. None of us makes the perfect choice each time. I ate a piece of "bad" in the sense of toooo old meat and I think that's exactly what landed me in the hospital getting a very expensive CAT scan. Plus set my pancreas off. Certainly not worth it. As my daughter said "mom you saved $5 by eating the old meat and cost yourself $2000 with the CAT scan :x Ohhh and guess what.. the lady .. she's going to be starting our program in Novemeber. She was sooo impressed with the ingredients and the nutritional vaules. MF uses only the highest grade of Soy available. Sure it's more expensive but it really does come down to "you get what you pay for". At least in this instance.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Mike » October 26th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I really appreciate that post Jan. It really brings the whole thread together and makes the ultimate point. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby DogMa » October 26th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Not that I want the last word, but I did want to update so people are clear. This just came from TSFL:

The new Chocolate Bar and the new Oatmeal Raisin bars now shipping do NOT have HFCS (they are the NEW formulation!). The rest of our delicious bars will be available without the HFCS sometime after the first of the year.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Leah » October 26th, 2006, 2:45 pm

I would just like to say that this post has HELPED me soo much. First, I thought this was more of a forum to support those who are on the diet. And as far as I am learning, you will be eating more then just medifast foods. This is helpful, for when I run out of Medifast food and I maybe waiting for an order to come in. or when I am out, and just need something, I know where and what to buy. I have not given up on MF bars. There are a couple that I like. But, to add a variety, since this is a LIFESTYLE change, you can't just stick with the same boring tastes forever. Thank you guys again for your input!
Leah

Postby casma500 » October 26th, 2006, 5:28 pm

I just received my first order of MF last Friday and have been trying all the bars. They shipped me some Oatmeal Raisin, but alas, none of the Chocolate Divine (or whatever they are calling it now).

The funny thing is, the OR one is the one I found tasted the best! And of the four I have, it is the only one without HFCS. But the others are fine.
Here's hoping the others get even better tasting after they change them for us!
~ Be Yourself -- Everyone Else is Already Taken ~
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Yeah, No HFCS

Postby KimKim » October 26th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Hi Everybody,

Well, this is funny because I just started my journal today (and received views but no replies ;-( . . . but I had mentioned in my first posting that I didn't like that MF had HFCS in it. But as I said then and I'll say now, I have a weight problem, so I put all of my health nut concerns within that context. Do I like Splenda? No. Do I think Aspartame and Splenda and High Fructose Corn Syrup are harmful? Absolutely! Do I ingest them while on Medifast? YES. Because I clearly have had worse things, which led me to this place and I can get all health nutty again when I am closer to my weight loss goals. Until then, I am using the Splenda-sweetened syrups and packets for my oatmeal and the list goes on.

As for free speech here, I'm all for it and it's an absolute must. Medifast and Take Shape for Life suggest other food items on their sites but mostly once one gets to transition. Let's not get all Gestapo about substituting the bars. Medifast and TSFL are repeatedly asking for feedback on their products, not just for taste but for many different reasons. If we are not honest about what we like and don't like, the products will not get better.

If no one said anything about their displeasure of HFCS, Dr. Anderson and co. might not have moved faster to remove it. I eat the bars but I will eat the bars happier without the HFCS.

When I'm on maintainence, I will transition off of the bars and continue to order shakes, chai and hot cocoa because I love those. I am willing to invest the higher cost right now to stick with the whole program because it's worth it but I don't want to be paying that much for the bars and soy crisps for the rest of my life. Let's just be honest . . .

I don't see that as treason or being unsupportive. Medifast works and works well. One would be a fool to let the bars, alone, push them off of the program.

I've eaten Atkins caramel nut endulge bars but those are not to replace the MF bars, it is when I am getting ready to reach for a snickers and I want to save myself, remain in ketosis and stick with the Medifast plan and be 100% compliant the next day.

Anyway . . . I ordered the oatmeal raisin bars, chocolate divine, peanut butter and chocolate mint today, so I'll tell you what I think when I get my order in a few days.

Kim
KimKim
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Previous

Return to Weight Loss