NEW diabetic bars - I'm mad at Medifast!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

NEW diabetic bars - I'm mad at Medifast!

Postby guest » June 19th, 2006, 3:34 am

I've been on Medifast since January, lost a little over 60 pounds so far, on the 5-1 plan, with no falling off the wagon. I just received a new shipment of the Diabetic Bars (I'm not diabetic, just use those because supposedly less sugar and carbs). I use the bars when I'm at work 1-2 a day.

Has anyone notice they've reformulated the diabetic bars? They are much sweeter and less substantial, more like candy than a meal replacement bar. I'm very upset since I just spend over 300 dollars, thinking I was getting the same product as before. I doubt these will keep me full for as long a period of time.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Are there other product reformulations in the works? Why doesn't the website put a warning when they change the product "NEW FORMULA" or something, to give us loyal customers a heads up, so we'll know to sample first?

Postby Aerie » June 19th, 2006, 4:29 am

Could you return them to MF or exchange them in the Swap and Shop section?
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » June 19th, 2006, 11:16 am

Dear Guest ~

First, may I say that I am so sorry that you are not happy about your Diabetic Bars. Your post takes me by surprise, as I was not aware of any formulation changes or introductions of new products at this time.

I called Health Advisor Services to inquire about it and was told there have been no changes in the formulations – in the packaging of some items but in the product formulations.

Like you, we have other clients that are not diabetic but prefer to use the diabetic bars for their lower sugars and carb content. Medifast endeavors to provide low glycemic, low fat (with adequate protein) and low calorie foods. In order for a food item to be deemed approved for diabetics and keep the seal of approval by the GRI (Glycemic Research Institute) it must not overly increase our insulin or glucose levels or cause reactive hypoglycemia - it must be 5 or less than 5 grams of sugar per serving.

To remedy this situation, you may call the Customer Care Center at TSFL at 1-800-572-4417 with your Customer ID number and request an exchange of product. They will replace them. I wonder if some of the regular line (non-diabetic) bars were sent in error. If you have a Health Advisor, I’m confident your HA would be most happy to take care of this for you.

I am sorry that this happened to you - BTW, Congrats on your weight loss! It must feel great to walk around with 60 Pounds gone!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2006, 11:28 am

i guess i can call - the bars are now in blue boxes (like the regular bars), instead of yellow. They do say "diabetic" on the label of the individual bars, so I don't think it's a mistake - just a new formula.

Old: 140 cal; 4.5 fat (2.4 sat fat); potassium 310; carbs 22; fiber 4; sugars 1; protein 10g

New: 140 cal; 5 g fat (3 sat fat); potassium 320; carbs 22; fiber 4g; sugars 0; protein 11g

I guess it's good that there is now 1 more g of protein and no sugar, but they seem less substantial (although it says one packetis 43g, on each of the two boxes).

Anyway, I was just cranky when I woke up and saw that, after buying 20 boxes at once. And, yes, it is nice to be losing the weight - it's been uneven, but it has averaged to 10 pounds per month and it's steadily coming off, thank goodness!

Postby the » June 19th, 2006, 11:33 am

(The new diabetic bars in peanut butter are actually in a green box - and it says for diabetics on the box and each of the bars)

(It's not blue - I mistakenly wrote that in my last post.)
the

Postby Ketann » June 19th, 2006, 12:20 pm

I actually like the diabetic bars. I only have them a few times a week, however I think they taste good, and are satisfying. I will either have one in the afternoon on the go, or in the evening with some herbal tea. I have a special fancy plate I use that is the right size (I know :roll:) and cut the bar into eight pieces. I imagine myself eating bon bons, lol. They may not be the best or most satisfying supplement, but they are nice for when I want something a little sweet or want something less filling. I am an actual diabetic and am glad for them. That's my 2 cents. Good luck with your continuing weight loss. :)

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby ktrout » June 19th, 2006, 5:20 pm

They also changed the regular s'mores bars to a new type. They're less dense and more like a rice crispy treat than the harder granola bar type that they were. i bought a whole case, I'm bummed but I'll eat them over time.
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby jump4joy » June 19th, 2006, 6:34 pm

ktrout wrote:They also changed the regular s'mores bars to a new type. They're less dense and more like a rice crispy treat than the harder granola bar type that they were. i bought a whole case, I'm bummed but I'll eat them over time.

I didn't like the old S'mores BECAUSE of their dryness and density. The new ones sound good to me. I didn't plan on ordering them again, but the new change in texture you mention sounds GOOD to me. I think I'll get a sample in my next order. Different strokes.....

Joy
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » June 19th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Hmmm...guess I might need some Medimemory here because I just recalled a little tidbit as I write this...just a thought here - When I was in Baltimore in April, I noticed that more bar flavors were being manufactured in the plant than I have ever noticed before. Initially some of the bars were manufactured off-site due to the machinery needed for the bar dippage. Previously the yogurt-coated ones were manufactured off-site and so were the granolas...perhaps now that all the bars are made at the Owings Mills, MD site of Jason Pharmaceuticals Plant/Medifast Diet/Take Shape For Life, there have been some slight reformulations or changes in the texture.

I just know that when I called and spoke to someone in Health Advisor Services this afternoon, I was told there was not a recent change in the recipe but then again, my husband and I haven't had any bars lately other than what’s in our standard BeSlim™ Club order which is Caramel Nut for Terry and two boxes of Fruit & Nut for me. I don't eat them very often because I have a bar problem. :oops: I like those bars so much that I could easily scarf more than one a day...I do what it takes to keep me maintenance-weight honest and I want to keep wearing my leather pants and spandex shirts!

I do my best to pass on information to you, our dear MakeMeThinner Readers just as soon as it is released to me. I know the company has slowly been switching over the packaging of products and since they want everything to be healthy and tasty, they are constantly working on improving everything to keep us thinny and vigorous!

If TSFL clients or Medifast Diet people receive products that are not acceptable, we can return them within 30 days of purchase for exchange or a refund. Check out the details on the form included with every order.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby jump4joy » June 20th, 2006, 10:54 am

Nancy wrote:Hmmm...guess I might need some Medimemory here because I just recalled a little tidbit as I write this...just a thought here - When I was in Baltimore in April, I noticed that more bar flavors were being manufactured in the plant than I have ever noticed before. Initially some of the bars were manufactured off-site due to the machinery needed for the bar dippage. Previously the yogurt-coated ones were manufactured off-site and so were the granolas...perhaps now that all the bars are made at the Owings Mills, MD site of Jason Pharmaceuticals Plant/Medifast Diet/Take Shape For Life, there have been some slight reformulations or changes in the texture.

ahhhhhhhhh......this would explain why the F&N bars have tasted better to me. They are now more moist and chewy....a much better texture! The off-site plant didn't make them as tasty as the MF plant does, IMO.

Joy :rose:
jump4joy

Postby jump4joy » June 20th, 2006, 11:00 am

Nancy wrote:Hmmm...guess I might need some Medimemory here because I just recalled a little tidbit as I write this...just a thought here - When I was in Baltimore in April, I noticed that more bar flavors were being manufactured in the plant than I have ever noticed before. Initially some of the bars were manufactured off-site due to the machinery needed for the bar dippage. Previously the yogurt-coated ones were manufactured off-site and so were the granolas...perhaps now that all the bars are made at the Owings Mills, MD site of Jason Pharmaceuticals Plant/Medifast Diet/Take Shape For Life, there have been some slight reformulations or changes in the texture.

ahhhhhhhhh......this would explain why the F&N bars have tasted better to me. They are now more moist and chewy....a much better texture! The off-site plant didn't make them as tasty as the MF plant does, IMO.

Joy :rose:
jump4joy

Postby jump4joy » June 20th, 2006, 11:22 am

Sorry, I don't know why this posted three times. I tried to delete the extras, but it wouldn't let me!

Joy
jump4joy

Return to Weight Loss