Mavesse

1 Thread per registered User.

Mavesse

Postby Mavesse » April 29th, 2007, 10:24 pm

What a trip!

That's the best way I can think of to sum up my first ten days on Medifast. There are so many surprising experiences already packed into this journey I find myself on

First, I thought I was all alone. I'm used to sharing all my weight struggles with a wonderful group of women at Weight Watchers, but with a net gain of ten pounds over two years :lol: , I had to admit that I likely wasn't going to be successful counting points. In desperation, I ordered a month's worth of Medifast. I had initially planned to follow the program with my mom, who is also in pretty serious trouble with her weight, but she promptly quit and gave me all her food.

But then I found the journals in this forum...and they're incredible. What an amazingly wise, kind-hearted bunch of people you have gathered here! Sometimes I feel a little creepy, reading such intimate thoughts from people who don't know me, but I also noticed that many share their issues with food and their weight, in part at least, to help others like me ;) I'm very definitely not alone.

Second, I never imagined I would stick with Medifast this long...Ten days in and I've already lost eight pounds :mrgreen: Losing weight is far and away the hardest thing I have ever done. I feel like I've done some pretty hard stuff... I used to welcome challenges, but this obesity thing has had me flummoxed.

For this reason, I fully expected I would be done with the program by now, and annoyed with myself for spending so much money on food I can't bear to eat. But here I am, hanging in :shock:

In fact, I have only had one day when my tummy was rolling, and I questioned my own judgement for beginning this program in the first palce. I was tearful and afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep going. I think I know what I did wrong, though. I had spent hours online searching out Medifast recipes. I tried a few that were pretty awful through the course of the day, and basically, it's that unhealthy obsession with food that got me into this mess in the first place.

But I made it through. My cravings have subsided. And right now, I feel like I can hang in for a good long while yet. The beauty of Medifast is the chance to not think about food. It's like a holiday for my mind!

One point I'm really struggling with, though, is I can't seem to visualize myself thin. You know how all the motivational speakers say you have to envision yourself in the future you wish for, down to the littlest details...well I can't. I have packed around what basically amounts to a fifth grader worth of extra weight (I teach school :nutz: ) for so long I guess I can't imagine life without it.

Even now, when I keep seeing new numbers on the scale, I wonder if it is just a fluke; if it will be back again tomorrow. I get scared that I have already reached my limit, and I worry that from here on, my body won't be letting any more fat go.

Of course, I can work on this. Looking at journals and before and after pictures will help the idea sink in, and I plan to set aside time each day where I try to paint a picture in my mind's eye of me thin and healthy...Imagine that!

Soooooooo....I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams, everyone.
Mavesse
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 30th, 2007, 1:37 am

I am so glad you found this forum and congrats on the 8 pound loss. Awesome! From my experience, seeing myself change and imaging what I can be has been a process not an event. So I know what you want is a picture or idea right now like you said the motivational speakers say, but you have already changed so much (8 pounds!) in 10 days. What I do know for sure is that I never had "to envision (my)self in the future I wish for, down to the littlest details" to get fatter and fatter. With time, enough calories and lack of action it happened. I believe if you just keep taking right action, one supplement at a time, you will be just fine. Look over at the studio pics too. Do you think those people had any IDEA how fantastic they would look thinner? So don't short change yourself, just let it happen. As for motivational speakers, you have a whole board of new friends who want to help you every step of the way!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Pashta » April 30th, 2007, 6:45 am

Great loss so far! You seem to have a good attitude, you can make it. :D
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 30th, 2007, 9:18 am

Hi Mavesse~ I'm glad you decided to start a journal. You are definitely not alone in this journey. I think that's one thing I really loved about this forum when I first started was the fact that I finally found a group of people who got it. People who understood what I was going through. I didn't make it to goal then and actually strayed for quite a while, but finally found my way back in January of this year. And I was not disappointed, because the forum was still filled with encouragers who understand.

You're doing great, Mavesse. 8# already is awesome. :yes:

Donica
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Mavesse » April 30th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Thanks so much, pashta, bikipatra and DonicaB for stopping by with kind words.

Medifast is having a big impact on my social life. Here around home, I'm lucky enough to have an awesome group of girlfriends to spend time with, but lately I've been a little grumbly about the way food plays such a large part in everything we do.

I used to love my book club, for example, and usually someone would bake and we would have tea. But for the last few months it has been brunch--and a really fancy one at that.

I was too nervous to go last Sunday, being so new to Medifast and all. And I had even read the book :(

"Girls Night In," where we sometimes play board games and drink tea and have snacks on Saturday nights, has also evolved into a pot-luck buffet and is becoming pretty decandent, too.

So for a change of pace, we all signed up for golf lessons that began this week. It was kind of fun. And now we have plans to visit the driving range again this weekend. Not very strenuous exercise, I know, but it's fresh air and giggling at ourselves and using my poor old body to try something new, so I think it's good for me.

A goal for this week: I need to stop weighing myself every day. I hadn't lost anything since last Friday, and then today, I was up a pound. I have been compliant, so I'm praying that it's just a blip. Unfortunately, my old demons that say this is how I'll look and feel forever just love an opportunity like this to mess with my mind. It was hard to keep my chin up today, but I hung on.

I think this is the longest I've stuck to any weight loss program in many, many years :mrgreen:
Mavesse

Postby bikipatra » May 1st, 2007, 1:42 am

I am so glad you are sticking with the program. How often you weigh is definitely a personal choice. I am glad you can still have your social life with your friends and not have it be so food-oriented! That's great!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby pinkbugs471 » May 1st, 2007, 4:26 am

Being compliant and ignoring the scale is the best thing you can do. I have had times that even though I have been 100% I hop on the scale and have gained as much as 3#. It will go away. Just do not stray off plan.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mavesse » May 1st, 2007, 7:25 am

Ooooh....that scale! So of course I was back on it again this morning and thank goodness, I lost that myterious extra pound plus one.

You're right, pinkbugs. I need stay off :oops: A three pound gain when you're trying so hard must feel awful...I think it would be enough to make me quit.

I'm off to school :mrgreen:
Mavesse

Postby holberry » May 1st, 2007, 9:23 am

Mavesse, it's hard to keep of that dang scale.
As long as you stick to it , it will move, it will move, a new mantra :)
eat well,
holberrry
holberry
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » May 1st, 2007, 9:48 am

I'm a total hypocrite. I strongly suggest for others to stay off that scale daily if it causes the slightest discomfort. But you will find me there every morning with bells on and some panties to see if the magic happens. And you know sometimes it does. It feels great to realize you lost 2.5 pounds in one night. Then a pound the next night. You don't get those daily bits of joy if you stay off the scale. I have slowly learned to deal with the gains. I weighed 170.5 last Saturday and by Sunday weighed 172. I would have loved to post the low number but what it continues to teach me is that even with perfect compliance the scale is out of my control but can still bring me joy.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby BiggerInTexas » May 1st, 2007, 9:51 am

Welcome to the program! Golf lessons were a great idea! I really miss food in a social sense, too. Whenever we get together with friends, we always end up BBQ'ing and I miss that. I've been limiting get-togethers, too, but I'm slowly realizing that as long as I don't miss a supplement, I'm usually able to resist snacking! Congrats on your losses so far! :woohoo:
BiggerInTexas
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Serendipity » May 1st, 2007, 10:04 am

I agree with biki. Getting on that scale every day helped to condition me to accept the fluctuations. They really and truly are a part of the process! Now, during maintenance, I'm so used to it that I don't freak out when I see a pound or 2.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby KellyC » May 1st, 2007, 10:52 am

It really is different for everyone.. maybe when I lose half the weight I need to, I'll start weighing more often.. but for now, I'm psyched to see huge losses in a week. :)

Let us know how the golf lessons go!
KellyC
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mavesse » May 2nd, 2007, 7:17 am

All right...I was on that darn scale again this morning, but guess what? I'm down another pound for a grand total of 10 in my first two weeks! :tears:

...That smiley is tears of joy, right?

Medifast is the smartest thing I ever did. And one of the kindest things I have ever done for myself.

But no more weighing until Sunday :angel:
Mavesse

Postby DonicaB » May 2nd, 2007, 8:55 am

Mavesse~ I just learned how to swing a golf club two years ago. I really enjoy it, though, I've only been a few times. We have a couple of tournaments at school every year. My team won this past year. I had a blast.

Let us know how you like the golfing. I think you and your friends will enjoy it.

Donica
DonicaB
Preferred member

Next

Return to My Journal