Looks like Medifast is going to have to wait a while :(

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Looks like Medifast is going to have to wait a while :(

Postby Finally_Losing » July 18th, 2006, 4:53 am

I'm so upset, for several reasons. I found out this morning that my mother in law, who has kept my son since he was 6 weeks old, will no longer be able to keep him. She wants to have him a few days a week but that's all. Around here there are no part time day cares so he will have to go into one full time. I'm upset with her because this is out of the blue. I'm upset because this will mean ALOT of change for my son and for us. Financially this will be a huge blow, day care is around $500 a month, assuming it hasn't gone up in the last few years. So Medifast will have to go on the backburner. I'm very upset about that. I love this program and have done well, 18 lbs as of today!!! That is fantastic compared to my other programs! But as all of you know, it costs money and that is something we aren't going to have. I will finish the foods I have, about another weeks worth and then I will have to go off plan. Thank you all for your unwavering support and answering all of my questions and I hope to make it back at some point.

Very Sadly,
Amy
Finally_Losing
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Prancer » July 18th, 2006, 5:20 am

Oh Amy that stinks. I hope you find something reasonable for your son.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby LiLYipper » July 18th, 2006, 6:00 am

I'm really sorry to hear that Amy. I'm sure you exhaused every avenue...But just in case you havent, around here there are several home day cares that take part timers. Perhaps check the classified section of the news paper. Of course it's still going to cost money, maybe it won't be such a big hit. Either way, keep working at good nutrition. You're worth it :)
LiLYipper
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby supermom » July 18th, 2006, 8:46 am

Oh Amy--That really does stink! And, honestly, I know exactly how you feel! I have a 10 month old baby that is not able to go to daycare for health reasons. My other two kids can go, just not the baby. My husband's step mom was supposed to start keeping him next month when I go back to school for my last semester. She called me over the weekend and said she just doesn't really want to tie herself down with it. Plus, the doesn't like the idea that she can't smoke around him. So, I am here trying to find someone whom I can trust and AFFORD to keep him. My childcare costs will go down a little as my oldest is going to start kindergarten and kindergarten is all day here now. They have an after school program that is 25 per week that includes a snack and help with any homework, and play time. My 4 year old will go to pre K half a day, then the after school program for him is 40 per week. But the baby, I don't know what I will do with him. Maybe I could just take him to class with me. Do you think anyone would notice??
supermom

Postby alpha femme » July 18th, 2006, 10:37 am

sorry you have to put mf on hold for a while.
i know a friend of mine was looking for daycare around here and let me know that the cheapest she could find was $300 a week-- as long as the kid was potty trained. when i heard that, i just about died. i had no idea child care was so expensive. i feel you.

take care.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Serendipity » July 18th, 2006, 11:01 am

I'm so sorry you are having this delemma.

Wow, at those prices, you almost have to consider staying home....what with the additional gas cost, additional car, additional clothes needed to work, etc., etc., etc. I'm sure your kiddies would choose that route, lol. There's no place like home for a kid.

But.....have you tried looking into a private home for you kids? My DIL works part time and has a wonderful babysitter.....kinda like a grandma type who just loves to watch Jake, and showers him with attention. She does periodocally announce that she's going away for 2 weeks and can't watch him....but for the most part, it works out great. Just a thought.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Finally_Losing » July 18th, 2006, 11:04 am

A little good news...I've been busy today and at lunch went and visited a few day care centers, that amazingly have openings. I feel good about one of them. The first center will do part time, however, I wasn't comfortable there. There was something about it that made me uneasy. The second center I liked ALOT. The people were very friendly, the atmosphere is very child centered (which is as it should be). They also split the kids up by ages more than other centers. They have a young 2 and older 2 and a young 3 and older 3, I really like that. They have a learning cirriculum, not just a day care, they teach manners and I was very comfortable there. I'm trying to get a hold of my boss to let him know I'm leaving a bit early to take my son to the daycare and see how he likes it. It will be almost $600 a month <insert gasp here>, crap that's a lot of money BUT this is the most precious thing in my life, I don't want him somewhere just because it's cheap. DH agrees so I'm signing him up.....Wish me luck!

Amy
Finally_Losing

Postby supermom » July 18th, 2006, 12:23 pm

I am glad you found somewhere to take your child. Daycare is a VERY personal thing. When I was looking, I just went to all of them, unannounced, and when I found one that didn't make me sick to my stomach, that is the one I chose!! I don't know where you are, but here in Texas, we can log onto the department of child welfare and look into the childcare agencies, and registered family homes. There, you can view if the place or home has been in violation of any rules/regulations, has had any restrictions placed on their license, how their health inspection reports have gone, etc. You can also see how long they have had a license, and who ACTUALLY owns the place. That might help you feel a little better. I don't worry about paperwork errors like missing shot records, etc. But when they have missing background checks, or safety hazzards, I go back to the center a ask to see how said deficiencies have been addressed. It is your child. It is your job to see to it that the people caring for him in your absence are fit to do so, and that the atmosphere is safe and hazzard free. I don't really care if the people at the daycare think I am a busy body, or I am "too hard" on them. I want my child safe. Anyway, just a thought!
supermom

Postby DogMa » July 18th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Sorry this is happening to you, Amy, although I'm glad it looks like you found a good place for your son.

As for Medifast, it'll be here when your situation changes. In the meantime, maybe you could try to incorporate the lessons of the program into your life - eat small, low-fat, lower-carb meals throughout the day.

Good luck to you!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Finally_Losing » July 21st, 2006, 5:17 am

I've gotten a repreive (sp?)...I've got at least 1 more month to stay. My husband doesn't want me to quit since I'm doing so well....soooo, I placed an order. We'll see what happens but at least for right now, I'm still in the game :)

Amy
Finally_Losing

Postby TheShadow » July 21st, 2006, 7:26 am

Do you normally go out to lunch at work? I find that MF is actually not much more than I was spending before on a Subway sandwich meal and a couple of sodas from the vending machine every day. Seriously I was spending at least 6.95 to 7.50 for lunch every day and a dollar or two in sodas/ vending snacks. That's like 8.50 per day. I spend about $10 a day on MF so I'm really not spending more than 1 or 2 dollars a day more than I was before. My health and my future is worth more than 60 bucks a month. I would look at all your other expenditures and look for other things that can be cut out, what financial folks call the "Starbucks factor". People spend $100 month on things like a $3 coffee every day or cigarettes with out even realizing how much it comes to on a monthly basis. I would cut out almost anything before I would cut out this diet. Maybe you could save money on gas or something by carpooling with a co-worker or something like that. I bet if you and hubby put your heads together you can find a few other ways to shave the budget.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Finally_Losing » July 21st, 2006, 10:41 am

The budget is under close scrutiny....As with any family there are always things that can be cut out. I don't drink coffee or smoke, bring all of my food from home,etc. Gas, is outrageous and we cut down on driving whenever we can. Thankfully our car is very good on gas. We live in the country, carpooling isn't an option for either of us. You are right, MF is not that much more and probably closer to being cheaper...but I have to pay for the MF all at once where as the other is spread throughout the month.......I'm thankful to have the time I have left, I'll do it until I can't anymore. :)

Amy
Finally_Losing

Return to The Weight Room