I am locked out of the Christian thread

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Sarya » June 28th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Hey BeachBaby! I'm actually sort of surprised I haven't seen a "is anyone Jewish?" thread.. more because of the kosher thing than the bagel and lox thing :) (mmm I love bagel and lox. argh)

Anyway it's late in the day, and my head hurts from work driving me crazy. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore! I never bring up the things that make me different because they don't really have any effect on my weightloss efforts. Maybe the part about being a massive wow addict does...

nevermind my braind is fried. But I think we should start a discussion in another thread about interesting less-common food choices and whether or not we think we can alter them to be compliant.

I like all of you. So far I think you're pretty swell. I also have to say kudos to everyone participating in this thread for doing their best not to be mean or hurtful to others as often happens in discussion like this.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby jump4joy » June 28th, 2006, 1:14 pm

Gina and Vicky expressed my feelings exactly.

I posted this before I saw pages 2 & 3. I think that there have been some very good points made here. It's so important to try to find our commonalities and show RESPECT for everyone's beliefs. I'm a Mormon, and I had some evangelical christian neighbors tell my husband and I in a very matter-of-fact way that WE were going to Hell because we didn't believe in the *right* Christ. We didn't get mad at them, but respectfully excused ourselves. I wasn't really offended, just puzzled (and a little amused, I gotta admit!). I always do my best to be understanding and respectful of others. Do unto others.....

Joy
Last edited by jump4joy on June 28th, 2006, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby SharonR » June 28th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Sarya wrote: I also have to say kudos to everyone participating in this thread for doing their best not to be mean or hurtful to others as often happens in discussion like this.

Uhh yeah....how long can that go on.... :roll:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 28th, 2006, 3:11 pm

OK, I was just going to stay out of this, but I may as well weigh in, too. It's no secret that I'm Jewish, given my posts on lox and Passover and Yom Kippur fasting.

I agree with a lot of the generalities about Christians (but only as generalities), because I've certainly encountered enough of that in my life, including friends - or maybe I should say former friends - who felt the need to tell me that I was damned and going to hell because of my beliefs. HOWEVER, I haven't encountered any of that from ANYone on this forum.

I read past all the references to Christ in people's sigs, and ignore any threads that deal with trusting in Jesus and whatever else. Same as I tend to ignore the ones about kids, since I don't have any, or get-togethers in Arizona, since I don't live there. Would I be offended by threads asking about other moms or stay-at-home moms or African-Americans or any of that? Nope. Heck, if I thought there were more copy editors on the board, I'd start a thread to meet them. And if anyone starts a Jewish thread, I'd be happy to post there. I don't know that we'd have much to talk about, except around the holidays, though (do you eat the matzo during the Seder or not?).

Honestly, I'd rather there BE a separate place for all the talk of Christianity, so people could discuss it all they want and I could just bypass it. :)
Last edited by DogMa on June 29th, 2006, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby alpha femme » June 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm

well, robin, i'm gonna leave the religious thing alone, because i think that no matter how well-meaning people are... politics and religion should be left out of the cocktail party.

but! i'm finishing my MA in English, and i wouldn't mind finding out how to get into copy editing. :D
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Elke » June 28th, 2006, 5:04 pm

I am also gonna stay out of this. Just respect eachother and life will be good.
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Prancer » June 28th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Elke wrote:I am also gonna stay out of this. Just respect eachother and life will be good.

that is a fantastic bottom line.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Sad

Postby Ginabobina1969 » June 28th, 2006, 6:10 pm

All of THIS...because one Christian person, simply reached out to a few others.

:(

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby GucciGoo » June 28th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Obviously Unca wanted the conversation ended for a reason... but it just continued here anyway :oops:
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 29th, 2006, 8:37 am

MusicalMomma Reloaded wrote:I also don't understand why other's can express who they idolize, for example Arklahoma with Madonna and no one blinks an eye, but idolize Jesus and it causes a controversy like none other. (No offense Ark, I like a few Madonna tunes too, just giving an example.)

No offense taken, Joyce.

I must have missed the original thread entirely b/c I'm not totally getting the gist of this thread; however, I do want to say that I appreciate divergent opinions and am greatful that this thread is not being closed.
Arklahoma

Postby Arklahoma » June 29th, 2006, 8:42 am

csula2004 wrote:... politics and religion should be left out of the cocktail party.

Am I too late to get a cosmopolitan? :lol:
Arklahoma

Postby SharonR » June 29th, 2006, 9:00 am

LOL Ark....I'm thinkin' we need some popcorn too!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby GucciGoo » June 29th, 2006, 9:15 am

I like the mini-hotdogs.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 29th, 2006, 9:27 am

Geez ~ Did I miss the mini-hotdogs, too???
Arklahoma

Postby SharonR » June 29th, 2006, 9:32 am

I'm thinking....mixed nuts....mmmm....

SharonR
Preferred member

PreviousNext

Return to What's Shakin'