I am locked out of the Christian thread

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Postby Aerie » June 28th, 2006, 5:05 am

I have no idea what Guest posted to start all of this but I will say I am not a Christian. However I have many Christian friends and in my opinion Christianity has a lot to offer. Many of Christ's teachings are something we could all benefit from. If not as a religious mantra than simply in the practice of being a decent human being.

However that being said I would not enter a Chritian thread (a place for Christians to share) and try to de-convert, or lambast those who are happy with their religion. I would expect my Christian friends to avoid entering a Muslin, or Hindu or whatever thread and try and "save" all the "lost souls" in there either.

Oh and one last thought there are plenty of poor human representatives in every faith. Don't crucify an entire religion based on a few crappy human beings.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sarya » June 28th, 2006, 6:02 am

Ok Unca said he's not locking the thread. I was going to post in the original one, but I tend to stay out of the topic of religion.

Here's what I wanted to say:

There seem to be a great many Christians on this board, and they utilize their faith in the Lord to stay strong while on this diet. I think that's great, and it works for them. I am not a Christian and consider myself spiritual. I've never once felt like I would be less welcome by my fellow MFers who are Christian. My gramma prays for me all the time. It is a part of her faith and how she walks her path in life. We each have to forge our own paths, and they will diverge and converge throughout the journey.

I've felt that this board is a welcoming place despite the many (not just religious) differences we obviously have. Diversity is a gift. It allows us insight into perspectives we may not otherwise encounter. I hope that all of us reading this thread now and in the future remember that and continue to treat each other with the respect they deserve.

--S
Sarya

Postby MusicalMomma Reloaded » June 28th, 2006, 6:23 am

Thanks for not locking this thread Unca...the previous thread was pretty tame, but I could see how you might have thought it would get out of hand.

From the previous thread...

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are all here for the common goal of weight loss.

What does Christianity have to do with dieting anyway? Why do Christians always feel the need to bring their religion into everything? Can't we all just discuss Medifast without having to know everyone's religious background?

----

I just wanted to address these question. I think the Christians on this board, me included, just felt this was a safe and supportive place to share how their faith helps them stay on track with medfast. It's very difficult for a believer in Christ to keep their faith "out" of conversations where they are sharing their struggles. See, we strive to lean on our faith in Jesus Christ to help us through difficult times. The disciplen of dieting and denying ourselves the foods we've indulged in for years and years is a VERY difficult thing for everyone. As Christians we look to Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit for strength during those times of struggle. I believe that's the reason it's so hard for us to 'not acknowledge' the One we seek our help and strength from.

I hope this helps a little. I also hope this thread lets you know that we support you in your weightloss efforts no matter what your beliefs. We're all here for a common goal and want to see you reach your goal just as much as anyone else :)

Have a great day :)
~Joyce~
Formerly known as MusicalMomma
MusicalMomma Reloaded

Postby Prancer » June 28th, 2006, 6:39 am

Joyce thanks for going back to quote that lol.

Addressing that same quote:

I didnt ask to know everyone's religion. I just asked who else here was like me. I prob wouldnt have been seen offensive is I asked "who else here is a stay at home mom" Being a Christian is part of me and I wanted to connect to others like me. As far as Christians needing to bring their religion into everything. Not all Christians do but it is part of who I am. When I started MF I brought my religion into it because I brought myself into it. Cant be me and not be a Christian, I cant be me and not be a mom, I cant be me and not be a redhead. It is who I am.
Prancer

Postby BoPeep1 » June 28th, 2006, 6:42 am

I'm not going to get into the debate about what to believe or not to believe, but I don't see any reason why Christian MF'ers can't discuss their faith and how it helps them on the plan.

For the rest of us, we can choose not to read the threads. Maybe a separate forum for Christian MF'ers?
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby SharonR » June 28th, 2006, 7:53 am

...sigh...

How about a new thread now...let's get back to the orginal idea that Jenn had in the first place.

It's sad to see everyone defending....and not just chattin...I know I joined in as well...but it's tired now....

Anyone agree?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby ascicles » June 28th, 2006, 8:25 am

I'm not a Christian. I don't really have a problem with anyone's beliefs, but I do have a problem with those who attempt to convert me or look at me differently because I don't believe the same thing as them.

I understand that spreading the word of God is part of what Christians are expected to do, but that doesn't mean that I appreciate it as a non-Christian. I feel that if someone is going to try to convince me that I should believe in God, I have every right to try to convince them that they shouldn't...and that is usually where I run into problems.

My biggest problem with the religious majority in America though, is the fact that most people who try to push Christianity on me have never actually read the Bible. I have read it numerous times, along with the text from other major religions (and many minor, cult-like ones as well). I find it insulting that someone is trying to convince me to follow something when they don't have the time to read a few hundred pages of text.

This isn't against anyone here, but I just felt that I should explain my opinion (and one that I share with many others) about the frustration with the overwhelming Christian population of America.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby TheShadow » June 28th, 2006, 10:56 am

I think the post on the original thread was certainly an appropriate post for this section of the forum. It is off-topic and that's what this group of threads is for. I think it was appropriate to ask to chat with like-minded folks. What in the world could be wrong with that? I have my own beliefs and I do not discuss them with folks unless I am asked directly. I think that people who did not want to hear Christian topics shouldn't open threads that are obviously directed at that subject. What would be the point? And I don't think anyone was asking for non-Christians to chime in.
It is, of course, a free country and they can do as they please. But I think that people should not hi-jack others threads. It was not a challenge to non-Christians, and I can't see how it could offend anyone.

And, no, I'm not Christian.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby justmyopinion » June 28th, 2006, 11:13 am

I'm slightly offended.
So maybe since religion is a part of who we are, we should have...
Forums for...
Christain Medifasters
Jewish Medifasters
Spititual but not religious Medifasters
Democratic Medifasters
Republican Medifasters
White American Medifasters
African American Medifasters
Chinese American Medifasters...etc...
My point is...we are ALL a part of something, so if that is what defines us OR is a part of who we are-we should only connect with the people that have something in common with us.
What I liked about this site is that the common INTREST/GOAl is that we are ALL losing weight. Race, religion or anything else was not a factor. I think the word is discrmination-not alienation. So, honestly, wouldn't anyone feel alienated if some of the threads mentioned above were floating through the site? If you say no, then you are kidding yourself.

I'm not blasting anyones post-just expressing my opinion like everyone else did.
I will not be back to this thread.
justmyopinion

Postby Sarya » June 28th, 2006, 11:32 am

I'm sorry Guest, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think everyone here would feel alienated by those kinds of threads.

I accept the diversity of my peers, and I am open to their desire to find other commonalities amongst us. There was a time in my life when I felt a lot of angst towards (specifically) the Roman Catholic faith and those people who practice it. This was the religion I was brought up in, but I never felt the call to believe the associated doctrine. This led me to have a lot of unresolved feelings for years because I felt pressured to be that religion. It's not the religion's fault, and it's not the fault of most of it's followers.

I belong to a non-denominational spiritual society. Many of my peers there are Christian and talk often about how they integrate their beliefs into their lives. There's nothing wrong with that. Humans thrive on community, and it is natural to want to share things that one has in common with others. Many of us who to do not prescribe to a mainstream religion are used to keeping a portion of our thoughts to ourselves, but that doesn't make it right or appropriate for everyone.

In the same way that some people here share their successes and failures; others do not.

We are all unique snowflakes yet we still try to find other snowflakes that have our characteristics. It's just how it is.

I wish that topics like this didn't always end up offending someone, but they do. I understand why. There will always be people who try to tell you you are wrong or bad because your beliefs don't match theirs. That's the thing though.. it's a belief not a fact and therefore it is subject to interpretation. Two people may witness the same scene yet what they perceive is completely different.

I dunno. I try to be as open as possible. I am not always successful, but it is my goal.
Sarya

Postby ascicles » June 28th, 2006, 11:57 am

justmyopinion wrote: So, honestly, wouldn't anyone feel alienated if some of the threads mentioned above were floating through the site? If you say no, then you are kidding yourself.

I promise you I wouldn't feel alienated by a thread that I don't fit perfectly in. It doesn't bother me and I don't see why it shouldn't.

Should I be offended in threads where women talk about gender specific issues? I don't really care about anyone elses beliefs, as long as they don't try to shove them down my throat.

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby GucciGoo » June 28th, 2006, 12:04 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I am Jewish among many, many, non-Jews on this forum. I would love to have someone to discuss things with--like whether or not lox or matzoh balls are on plan. But I really don't. I just come out and ask these questions to the general public. Whoever wants to answer me does so.

I guess I should have started with an "Are there any Other Jews" out there thread, but I did not. Why not? Because I decided to NOT exclude anyone f rom my thread. I know many people that love Jewish foods, but they are not Jewish. I did not want to make the assuption that none of you Christians have never eaten a bagel before either.

I would have felt weird posting the "Is Anyone Here Jewish" thread because I felt that would have excluded other people on this forum from coming forward, saying hello, and welcoming me to Medifast.

Talk about whatever you want here. I could care less what your religions are. However if any of you tried to convince me that I will burn in hell if I don't accept Jesus as my savior, that is exactly where I would tell you to go.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Prancer » June 28th, 2006, 12:05 pm

I dont think any one here ever said that they ONLY wanted to connect with people that are like me. Any open minded person should be able to connect with others on many different levels. Sarya said she isnt a Christian and I have enjoyed her posts and support a lot since coming here. Just because a person isnt a Christian doesnt mean I wont like them. I wouldnt care if there were other posts floating around that you mentioned because I just wouldnt read them if I dont belong.

If you read the original thread, I posted that I thought this site was great because our united goal of losing weight put us all on common ground...gave us all something in common. I apologize that I tried to seek out others I have something in common with. I dont know any other way I should have done that.

Neither threads mention Christians not being tolerant of anyone else here. Just wondering who else we have that common tie with. Would you have been upset if I asked for other MFers who were in NY or other MF who have twins. No one got upset when I asked who else here has PCOS. Being a Christian is part of who I am but isnt the only part of me.

PS...Manly... My brother says exactly the same thing. He is not a Christian and is, as you are, very well read in many religions. He has the same opinion as you.
Prancer

Postby MusicalMomma Reloaded » June 28th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I just wonder how offended people would get if there were other "lifestyle/beliefs" targeted here.

I don't recall anyone getting offended over the "in the family" thread when one of our dear members wanted medifast support from others within her lifestyle.

It seems that the "Christian Faith" is so offensive to people. I don't really understand that. I do understand how some "Christians" can be offensive, but the faith over all? I just don't get that.

I also don't understand why other's can express who they idolize, for example Arklahoma with Madonna and no one blinks an eye, but idolize Jesus and it causes a controversy like none other. (No offense Ark, I like a few Madonna tunes too, just giving an example.)

I also wouldn't open and read threads that I found offensive, like many others have stated. Can't we just let people answer the original question ("Are there any other Christian's doing medifast?") stand as is without suspecting a conspiracy theory?
~Joyce~
Formerly known as MusicalMomma
MusicalMomma Reloaded

Postby ascicles » June 28th, 2006, 12:41 pm

MusicalMomma Reloaded wrote:I also don't understand why other's can express who they idolize, for example Arklahoma with Madonna and no one blinks an eye, but idolize Jesus and it causes a controversy like none other. (No offense Ark, I like a few Madonna tunes too, just giving an example.)

There is a big difference. The main thing is that most devout Christians (from my personal experience) are quite judgemental of others who aren't a part of their faith. If you aren't a fan of Madonna, I doubt that she would be terribly upset over it.

Again, I'm not really bothered by anything relating to this matter. I grew up in an area where a large majority of the people were southern baptist. I'm used to being told that I am going to burn in hell for not being saved. Usually I can get them to shut up by quoting specific parts of the Bible that they aren't familiar with :)

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

PreviousNext

Return to What's Shakin'