LIZABETTE

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Lizabette » July 10th, 2006, 11:35 am

JULY 10, 2006

LORI and ELKE. Looks like we will have to update our shoe wardrobe also. Goody, losing weight is another excuse to buy some more shoes!

REDLETTER DAY! DH and I went to the YMCA today to sign up for some pool and exercise classes. I inquired about the swim suits and the lady said “About a 12 or 14?”
Well that’s the first NSV of the day. Especially since the last one I bought there a few years ago was a size 20!!!!

I took the size 14 to the locker room and tried it on.
It is sapphire blue (not black)—a good quality form fitting Lycra that fit like a glove. Okay, I asked another lady who was also trying one on and asked her if she thought it looked allright. “Oh, yes”, she said, “You’re so tiny!” Oh my stars, I haven’t been called tiny in my past memory. Second NSV of the day!

I bought the suit—and it should do me fine even after I reach goal. DH has been calling me ‘tiny’ since I told him about it. Third NSV!
But NO, I absolutely will not model it for an ‘after’ picture!

I posted my 50# weight loss picture in STUDIO today. Plenty of NSV’s there. Thank you all so much! Why is it we can’t see as dramatic a change in ourselves as others seem to. But I really do feel the change in my body, mind and spirit…and that is very dramatic.

Things have been going well foodwise. When we eat out on Sunday after church, it is a challenge to measure the food correctly with my eyes. I could have eaten too much cajun fish and baked chicken on the buffett, so I was up a few ounces today---but still over 50 pounds.Could be just my body being stingy in giving up too many pounds. ! Also, my water, etc. schedule is usually off on Sunday. I won’t post my food menu for yesterday.

I have been so pleased having my only daughter (Daja) becoming an excited Mfer. I’ve been giving what advice and help I can, but she is jumping in and working on it as she does with most things that she tries. I’m very proud of her. Her job and other issues keep her very busy. Thank you all for making her so welcome and being so supportive of her as you have for me and others.

Some pretty exciting things are coming up in the next month or so that I will be writing about in a later journal. Today has been a great day for me and I am expecting it will be for all of you too.

Lizabette :heart:

Next mini-goal: 140#
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lizabette » July 11th, 2006, 6:34 am

JULY 11, 2006

Today, I am revisiting my very first post on the MMT Forum. Why? Because I am coming within such a short distance of reaching my goal.
I wanted to see exactly what I had written.
But more importantly to stress to myself and others that "All things are possible to him/her that believeth!"
Here it is with minor editing:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:37 pm Post subject: "Enough already!"

Hi, children. I can say that, because at 76 years young, I am probably the oldest woman on this board.
In October this year, my husband Bill, and I will be celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary.

I have just come on board with MakeMeThinner Forum and I love how it is such fun and so inspiring.
I’m starting on this new adventure with you all at this time of my life, because I could see the ugly handwriting on the wall---
--- that I was going up, up and up on the scale to almost 200 in my great retirement years.
I have fought to stay under that for several years yo-yoing back and forth.
Finally, I determined, “Enough, already!” That’s when I discovered Medifast and ordered my month’s variety pack plus one week free.
Then I found this site and have been devouring all the information that I been able to absorb.
I’ve already ordered my 2nd month from MakeMeThinner just so I will not run out!

I’m on Day 18 on MF, starting at 195, almost 5’2”, and weighed 182.5 on my last weigh-in. (12.5 pounds)
I’d like to answer the Sunday Roll Call to give my present weight. My long-term goal is 135.

It was my privilege to talk personally to Nancy and I was so impressed with her caring and sincerity in wanting to help guide me through to my goal.
I am sold and I am committed!

We are having a family reunion coming up in June of relatives I haven’t seen in years.
My challenge is to be somewhere near goal at that time.

My husband teasingly says to me occasionally, “Where is that 16 year old bride I married?”
Yes, I was slim and pretty then. So on our sixtieth anniversary in October, I want him to see her again!
And I plan to live out 10-15 more years, healthy and thin. (Note: I have now revised that upward!)

Youth is a wonderful gift…it is sad for anyone to squander all those wonderful years living less happy and healthy than what we could be.
Thank you all for being there for each of us on this exciting journey.

NOTE: Those who welcomed and encouraged me on this first post were:
JAN, UNCA, LISA (100#), ROBIN (60#), LJM (80#) NICKI (100#) LORIO (70#) SUEinSLO & BETZ!
Now how is that for success?

Lizabette

Postby Lizabette » July 12th, 2006, 8:56 am

My husband teasingly says to me occasionally, “Where is that 16 year old bride I married?”
Yes, I was slim and pretty then. So on our sixtieth anniversary in October, I want him to see her again!

JULY 12, 2006

Today is my six month anniversary on Medifast! Has it been that long...when it seems like such a short time to me?
Never have I been on a "diet" for that long without stopping and starting and quitting and starting and ...on and on!
Getting close to goal and then getting scared or over confident (WHY?) and then resuming my bad eating habits with utter abandon!

Thinking about DH's and my 'Sixtieth Wedding Anniversary coming up October 6.
DH and I both attended a small church Bible School in Madera, California where we met.
He joined the Navy while still there and came back just to graduate from HS and we got engaged,...
...such as it was in those days!

Short time later, this giggly 16 year old, (not yet dry behind the ears) and this lanky, handsome 18 year old sailor
were married in Bremerton, Washington where he was stationed onboard ship as a pharmacist mate.

A very long story short...(I wrote about some of it in previous post, so not to be boring).
We spent over 50 years in the ministry, as missionaries, church adminstration, traveling worldwide, etc. etc.
We had an adventurous, exciting life, including extortion/death threats while serving in Philippines.

Retiring from Oklahoma City to Hot Springs, Arkansas over 12 years ago.
And where 6 months ago I started another great adventure on Medifast to get that girl back!

Oh, this is getting too long...But just to say that the quote at the beginning of this post is happening.
Well, at least it is for DH and ME!
Last edited by Lizabette on July 12th, 2006, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lizabette

Postby loriannk » July 12th, 2006, 10:02 am

Image 6 months and over 50 lbs gone! WOW!!

I just love reading your journal. You are such a positive person. I celebrate my 12 year anniversary on Oct 8th. October is such a beautiful month to get married.

Thanks for sharing.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lizabette » July 13th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Thank you LORI, for the sweet words. Our anniversary is only 2 days and 48 years apart. YIKES!
Am I looking at a new avatar? So gorgeous! My daughter, Debra (Dlynn-A) was so impressed with your STUDIO pictures,
she had to show them to her housemate! You have done so good!!

JULY 13, 2006.

I never thought I would get to the place where I would ever say, “Well, I don’t want to get too scrawny!”
I had told DH I was down 52.6 pounds this morning, and he asked how much more I wanted to lose.
And I said it and really meant it!
I think I am about to the place where I know how thin feels! Nothing feels as good………

Another NSV or two today. At the Y, I talked to a woman I was in pool aerobics with a few years back.
At first she didn’t recognize me, and asked my name.
Then she told me how great I looked. Another exerciser also said some nice things about me.
Nice when people notice. Best of all is to feel so good about myself,
that I’m not hiding under water or behind a towel.

My products came today, and oh, that UPS man made my day.
I was running so low that I ended up eating chocolate pudding for breakfast! Not too bad, though. I actually liked it.
But tonight for my evening snack, I will either have oatmeal or make oatmeal cookies.
I think the oatmeal, Maple & Brown Sugar, and I will take my time savoring it.
Like a dessert! Yum!

In the morning I have a choice of a hot drink, cocoa, cappuccino, chai latte.
I always make it hot, and then add about a cup of coffee and maybe a S/F flavored syrup. Let’s see, I think cappuccino.
And then, Apple Cinnamon oatmeal at mid morning.
I didn’t realized how much I missed the foods until I didn't have any.

I mentioned previously that several special events are coming up in the next two months.
I am so relieved and happy that I will feel and look good for those events.
And to think if I hadn’t found MF six months ago, what would I be feeling about those things now?

More about that later...
:heart:
Lizabette

Postby Lizabette » July 15th, 2006, 5:16 pm

JULY 15, 2005

Oh, today was such a good day. On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I have the water aerobics class.
Let me tell you, these limbs have gotten a good workout this week.
I have breakfast (oatmeal) before I go and take along a shake to drink just before my class.
Today, I added some cold diet Root Beer to a Vanilla shake, and had a Root Beer Float sitting beside the pool.

J.C. Penny was having an unbelievable sale. (70% off) I got some of the nicest tops and slacks.
First time I have really shopped since I started Medifast.
The neatest part was I went directly to the 12 & 14’s and the 12’s fit better. Maybe not for too long, but hey, that’s okay.
The inches are coming off even faster than the pounds, it seems.

So after shopping ‘til I dropped, I went to the lobby of the mall with my water and munched on my Chocolate Divine bar.
I just sat there and enjoyed it, while watching others with their burgers, pizza and fries.
What do you know... I did not once want to go grab it off their plates.

Well, yesterday, I didn’t post. We rushed DH to the Emergency because he was feeling a pain in his chest and arm.
We spent hours there while lot of tests and x-rays, were being done. But good news!
Not his heart or anything bad. We’ll watch it closely.
Thank the Lord. But how wise it was to be sure.
It brought home to us how tenuous life is.
And how that any moment in time an accident or sickness can come and take us from this life---our loved ones and everyone we hold dear.

DH was giving the medics a hard time as usual, and then got around to saying that we were going to have our sixtieth anniversary in October.
A nurse working on him quipped, “She’s a Saint!”.
Yay! So now I’m a Saint!
But, not to give me my credit due, he told her she just didn’t know how badly I beat him!

Life is so good and we are so blessed!
Every day, we can give back a little bit of what we have received.

Lizabette

Postby Arklahoma » July 16th, 2006, 7:15 am

Lizabette ~ I am so thrilled to see you and your husband taking your health seriously. Going to the doc at the first sign of something being "different" is the best way to handle things and usually most people don't do this. Your story reminded me of a patient story a few weeks ago that I want to share with you and anyone else reading this blog:

The facility that I am affiliated with accepts medi-flighted patients from all over the world so it's very typical to care for patients from FL to WY. I was at work the other night and I was up for first re-admit (meaning the first patient that came through the ED or medi-flighted in was mine). I got the call from a small rural hospital in WV regarding a patient that was coughing up blood. Now normally this could be handled by a surgeon in their area but this patient had previous esophageal cancer so his esophagus had been removed and his stomach was pulled up into his chest. For a surgeon to go in and stop the bleeding, they would have to go through his rib cage which they are not able to do at this rural facility. Hmmm ~ I do work in CardioThoracic ICU for a reason. To make a very long and complicated story short, this gentleman had been coughing up blood for three days. He says it was in small amounts so he wasn't concerned, but this night he started vomiting huge amts of blood and the wife called 911. He was at the hospital for a couple of hours while they prepped him for transfer to us and it also gave me time to book the OR, get the surgeon and anesthesiologist, etc. The patient was in the air and the family jumped in the car to travel to us and then the unthinkable happened. The patient bled out in the helicopter and didn't make it.

I honestly can't stop thinking about this patient that I never had the chance to care for. I wish more people took small changes more seriously. For what it's worth ... I'm so proud of you and your husband for taking this seriously. Many people die every day because they think it's indigestion or it'll go away in a minute. Life is so transient for some and we never know when it's gonna be our turn.

HUGS to you and your DH!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lizabette » July 16th, 2006, 7:00 pm

I honestly can't stop thinking about this patient that I never had the chance to care for. I wish more people took small changes more seriously. For what it's worth ... I'm so proud of you and your husband for taking this seriously. Many people die every day because they think it's indigestion or it'll go away in a minute. Life is so transient for some and we never know when it's gonna be our turn. HUGS to you and your DH!!!~Arklahoma, RN, BS~

THANK YOU SO MUCH, DEAR ARK!

Your sad story reminds us that we should never take our health for granted.
If it helps one person to really take these things more seriously, then it will be worth everything!
We're thankful that DH has had no further incidents,
but you can be sure that if there is, we will take action immediately!

I appreciate you so much and I know that you want to help everyone who needs it.
You have been a great inspiration to me.

Thank you again for sharing...

Lizabette

Postby Lizabette » July 18th, 2006, 9:10 pm

JULY 18, 2006

Oh, I am trying to get caught up on reading the posts and am so behind on my own journal.
How did I get so far behind?
Some of the NEWBIES posts are so exciting! They have an adventurous weight loss journey ahead of them, and I,
I am coming down near the end of the weight loss phase of mine!
Makes me feel so oldish!

I hasten to add that my weight/health journey will really never end. I know in my heart and mind that it is a lifetime trip.
That is what I am trying to learn now, even as I have a short way to go before goal.

Right now, it is a great relief to be in control of my eating,
even while observing others who seemingly can eat anything and everything in sight!
We eat out several times a week and, miraculously, it does not bother me in the least.
The time might come when that changes, but right now I feel I am in control of my situation.

I realize that if I do not take the first bite of food off program, there is no problem.
There are choices and there are choices! It is up to me.
I have been inspired by posts from JO (Serendipity) and numerous others who do not sway or waver from their goal.
They are so focused on the prize of a trim and healthy body.
It’s the miracle we are all striving for.

Isn’t it amazing that a word or statement by someone will sink deep, and help harden our resolve to continue on…
we’ve all read many such statements on this board.

I often wonder, what would I be doing, and where would I be if I had not somehow found the means to do what I never dreamed I could---
after so many, many attempts and failures at trying.
It seems now that I appreciate how vital it is not to allow my hard won victories to be swept away by neglect or overconfidence,
as I admit I have in years past. I am thankful for that.

Today was my water aerobics day at the Y, while proudly wearing my new sapphire swim suit.
Once again planning my day, with my oatmeal breakfast, a shake by the pool,
and a bar in my purse, in case of an emergency.
I am learning that this is what I will need to do after I reach goal and move into transition and maintenance.

My trusty chicken/noodle soup awaited me when I got back home for lunch. Then in mid afternoon came my dreamy chocolate bar.
L & G was easy. One of DH’s favorites is waffle, bacon & eggs for dinner.
I had an already roasted store-bought chicken with green beans (added mushrooms, onion flakes, seasonings,)
What do I do when I get so full that I can’t eat the whole amount of chicken (7 ounces) and cup and half of veggies.
Is that okay, anyone? My stomach is shrinking inside as well as outside.

But that didn’t keep me from later having my almost daily little cup of S/F Jello with a tad of whipped topping.
My last meal of the day was oatmeal again! Oatmeal is a comfort food for me. I think it helps me sleep!

I did some altering of some clothes to give me a few more things to wear while I am transitioning into smaller sizes.

So that was pretty much my day. Each day reveals a little more about how I will live and plan my life.
Oh, it will be so different for almost everybody else on this journey with me.
But for me, it is nice. At this time.
Lizabette

Postby Lizabette » July 21st, 2006, 3:07 pm

JULY 21, 2006

So much has been said lately about transitioning and maintaining our weight loss since some of us are on the verge of reaching goal.
So I have been reading, reading and more reading about the process.

Most information says that the last 10 pounds may be the hardest and the slowest to lose,
And I tend to believe it.
One solution is to make small goals, which are easier to reach,
and more encouraging when eventually it does come off!

Also, the water aerobics I am doing three times a week may cause a slower weight loss pace.
But good thing is, it does help with the inches, which is better!

As most everybody knows I am in the ‘experienced’ bracket,
and my MF plan is a little different in that it allows a few more things that my co-Mfers do not receive.
Makes me feel ‘special’!

(Actually, Nancy did advise me to go to that plan in the beginning.)
However, for so long I did not take advantage of that and simply did the regular 5&1 the same as everybody else.
Now I am adding back some of the foods that I am supposed to have because of my ‘experience’!
Might as well go ahead and say it…I will be 77 on my birthday in December.
I think that is actually is going to make it a little easier to do the transition phase,
Since the plan looks a whole lot like it.
Except the trade-off is that it is causing me to lose more slowly.

With DH and my 60th Wedding Anniversary coming up in October,
I am thinking that we need to have a picture made for those newspaper pictures and articles that most people do.
I think it also will be nice to send with our Christmas cards this year.
So gotta put that on my To Do list.
And of course, I will post it on my favorite place, the MF Forum!

BTW, DH got all his reports from his lab tests and stress tests, and everything is in normal range!
Except for his Diabetes, which he keeps pretty much in check, he is in grand health! Thankful for that!

Strange that diabetes afflicted him while we were serving as missionaries in the Philippines.
His tests were fine before we left and were bad when we got back.
We’re thinking that happened because while he was working and traveling on the island of Mindanao building churches, etc.
He had little to drink out in the barrios, but lots of sugary cokes! With no ice!
And there was lots of stress, dealing with rebel situations during the time of the Marcos regime in power then.
At home of course, we boiled the water and took great care of sanitizing our foods.
Finally we did have to come home early because of the extortion/death threats.
A blessing in disguise, really, in hindsight!

We do take things for granted here in our country, don’t we?
Much of the world is not so fortunate and blessed as we are.

Good for us to remember.
Lizabette

Postby Lizabette » July 22nd, 2006, 7:51 am

JULY 22, 2006

A balmy Saturday morning here in beautiful, wooded Hot Springs, Arkansas today.
It has been very hot here, lately.
We got some rain last night with some lightning and thunder. I really love that.
To hear the rain on our roof is so soothing and calming.
So maybe the heat wave is broken, we wish!

I feel great today, with quite a bit to do to get ready for some company coming any day now...
some old High School chums we have kept in touch with through the years.
They have a lovely motor home, which they park in one of our RV spots with hook-ups on our property.
Such fun eating with them (Whoa, watch it there!) and playing card games and Mexican Train.
We have not seen them since last year and they will be shocked! SHOCKED! at the dramatic change in me!
Can’t wait for that!

Today I was at 141.5 pounds, a 53.5-pound loss. Whoopee. Slow but sure is the name of the game.
Reading up on maintenance, I have come up with my long-term goal.
(That, dear sisters and brothers, means for the rest of my life!)
I know that before long I will be in the 130’s. Does that not sound fantastic and unreal?
So what is my long-term goal?
When I do finally reach my goal of 135, and even lower than that which is likely…
I never want to go out of the 130’s ever again!
I will of course weigh probably every day. If it looks like I will go over that line into the 140’s,
that is when I take drastic measures to high tail it back to mid-130’s again.

In “Thin for Life” by Anne M. Fletcher, the authorities say that those who successfully maintain continue doing what they did to lose the weight,
(i.e. eating healthy and exercise) with the exception of adding a few healthy foods.
And, BIG AND, even having occasional favorite foods, desserts, things in moderation that we have given up during the losing phase.

Hey, I can look forward to Marie Calendar's Lemon Meringue Pie, which is my absolute favorite dessert in the entire universe!
(It’s already in our freezer!)
Not the whole thing, you understand, as has been my usual custom in the past, but a small piece to sloooooowly savor and enjoy.

Oh please, this is not to make anybody’s mouth water like mine is.
It will still be there when I get to a certain goal.
Just wanted you to know that we do have things to look forward to, as if you didn’t already know!

But again, transition and maintenance is basically doing most of the same things that it takes to lose the weight in the first place.
That is a given!
(This piece of knowlege is for me to remember!)

This is getting too long. I have a tendency for long-winded blogs.
But those with a short attention span will not read it through,so I’m going to stop right here!
Oh, well, the thing is, this is really meant for me anyway...
But I do love it when somebody responds!

Please have a glorious day, as I expect to.:heart:
Lizabette

Postby SharonR » July 22nd, 2006, 8:05 am

Oh Lizabeth I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine what it's like to be so close to your goal. You're friends are going to be WOWED over you for sure! Be prepared to model for them, practice your catwalk...hehe.

Have fun playing Mexican train, love that game. My family, extended family are all game players, that's what every holiday or family function is centered around....well that and FOOD! yikes...

Have a wonderful time and bring on the pudding when they are eating icecream! :mrgreen:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Lizabette » July 22nd, 2006, 11:14 am

Thanks, SHARON!

It is wonderful that goal is so near! And it will be for you soon!
Young as you are, you have your whole life ahead of you to be in good health and happiness.

Fortunately our friends are very health conscious, and like to exercise,
so that will make it so much easier for us.
And we will fill our time with fun and games

You know what they usually do? When they go to eating places,
many times they will order one meal (which is usually big) and two soft drinks and share the meal.
Saves money and calories and they stay in good shape!
Not such a bad idea it seems to me!

Keep us the good work, SHARON!

Mini-goal: 140 and onward to Goal!
Lizabette

Postby smartipantz » July 23rd, 2006, 10:54 pm

OK, I admit that I haven't had the time to read people's journals but after your comment that you had included some maintenance information in your blogs, I had to come look. I was on my way to bed, decided to read your journal........... and 45 minutes later, here I am. It was like reading a good book.... one you can't put down because it's so darn good!!! I'm so glad I did it and just what I needed!!

And I'm totally embarrassed that I hadn't read this journal because you had a post about the saying I posted in the forum :oops: I'm so sorry!!

OK, peeps!!!! I have to ask you a question......... don't you just want to give this lady a big hug??? :hug: Isn't she the best??? Lizabette, you are an amazing woman - inside and out - we are all so lucky to have you in our lives, even if we haven't met. You are definitely our angel!!! :angel:

Oh yes, before I forget, YES my shoe size has gone down (from a 7-1/2 to a 7) and my bra as well (from a C to a B.... I like to call them double B's cuz it sounds bigger). :laughlaugh:

I'm honored to be transitioning into maintenance with such a wonderful person!! :whoohoo: lucky me!!!

You are the bestest!!

Smarti
Restarted 9/29/08
1st month = 16.7 lbs
2nd month = 9.5 lbs
3rd month = 10.8 lbs
4th month = .4 lb /
smartipantz
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Lizabette » July 24th, 2006, 7:36 pm

smartipantz wrote:I'm honored to be transitioning into maintenance with such a wonderful person!! lucky me!!! You are the bestest!!Smarti

JULY 24, 2006

SMARTI,
What a great compliment that you enjoyed my 'blogs' enough to read it through and even lose some precious sleep.
It is I who am honored to transition into maintenance with you and others that are so near goal.

Oh, this morning I was down another pound (minus one ounce) at a wonderful 54.4# loss! (140.6#)

I was especially pleased because I tried something yesterday that I had not done in six months on Medifast.
Anne Fletcher, author of the book "Thin for Life" said that an indulgence that is planned is not a slip!
She said that "lapses are single events of 'slipping', doing something unplanned which is not ideal for weight control."
I felt since I was so near transition that it would be okay to put that to the test.

Sooooo, I planned an off program treat, and adjusted it into my program,
making a 'trade-off' as she called it, planning how I could make up the difference in calories, etc.
It was something I gave a lot of thought to before I did it. In the past, I gave no thought of planning for a treat and would just dive in and eat it!
Not only that but also eating an extra dessert and other treats that were within reach.
I knew that this would not cause me to lapse, because I had planned it from beginning to end!
I was in complete control of the situation!

Medifast is wonderfully designed so that each individual works it in her/his own way.
This is not something I would have done earlier in my program, and is definitely not a recommendation to others!
Transition and maintenance is as serious as losing the weight in the first place. I know I will be able to handle it now!

I am learning as I go. :heart:

Almost to my mini-goal of 140 and then on to Goal!
Lizabette

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal