LilMsTexas' Surgery Saga

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

LilMsTexas' Surgery Saga

Postby LilMsTexas » June 28th, 2005, 4:29 am

Well folks.........I really feel like I'm on the last leg of this surgery journey......or at least the PRE-surgery part. Yesterday was my pre-op appt with the PS (plastic surgeon). It was in fact a total waste of my time. She absolutely said nothing to me that she had not said to me during my very first visit. If I had not shown up with a list of questions we would have had no conversation. :shock: I know surgeons are short on conversation and more on action.......but I expected her to have a packet of information with at least FAQs and instructions for after care.......nada......zippo.......zilch!

Q: What should I bring to the hospital?
A: nothing......I will provide the binding garment.

Now does that mean really bring NOTHING? No clean panties or clothes or ANYTHING?? She didn't even tell me I need to buy some cheapo panties to deal with the drains and bleeding that are coming.

Q: Will I have a catheter?
A: yes and you will have it until the next morning.

Excellent answer. NOBODY wants to get up to pee the night after that kind of surgery.....especially since my DH can't stay with me.

Q: How many drains and when do they come out?
A: 2 and the following Thursday.
Q: When can I shower?
A: Not until the following Thursday after the drains come out :shock: EWW

Q: Can I have the anesthesiologist do my IV?
A: Yes......I can see you have no veins.
Q: Can I have some valium for my nerves due to the issue of my IV?
A: yes....I'll write you a script (while she looked at me funny)

Q: Do I need ice packs or anything special to take care of myself at home?
A: No :shock:
Q: Is there anything to do to care for my scar?
A: No
Q: Should I use any special cleanser such as Hibi-cleanse the day of surgery? (My best friend who is a nurse said yes)
A: No

Q: Do I need to take my acrylic nails off?
A: Yes
(Now what if I hadn't asked this question?)

Q: Is there a parking garage nearby that I am allowed to use when we come back to get my drains out so I don't have to use the Metro that is 6 blocks away?
A: Yes there is one in this building and one across the street.
(shocked again she didn't tell me this)

I'm really shocked at this answer. I'm really shocked at this point that I am having to ASK all of these questions and that NONE of this was routine for her to just TELL ME.

Now ladies and gentlemen I am assuming at this point that the nurses at the hospital are going to tell me how to take care of myself at home.......and the doctor who discharges me (which won't be her..she has something to do with her mother that day) will give me instructions......but doesn't she realize I am a planner and organizer and this last minute crappola doesn't float very well with me??

Oh Oh...here's a big question.......
Q: How much weight will this take off?
A: About TWO POUNDS!! :shock:

What the heck?? Is she serious?? She's talking about taking off the rest of my stomach and she thinks it's about TWO FREAKING POUNDS!! Is she nuts?? My scales say I have 15lbs to go to goal and there is NO WAY that this big blob on the front of me is just 2 freaking lbs!! Needless to say we'll have to wait and see how that develops.

She didn't talk to me about swelling and what to expect or any expectations whatsoever. She did tell me that she is going to tie my stomach muscles down as tight as possible without it compromising my recovery. She said the surgery will not affect my back at all, and I was wishing that it would. I have these two little poochey things at my waste :? She just acted like I was going to look "GREAT" and my belly button would be fine and that was about all she thought I needed to know I guess.

So..........mother-in-law shows up Saturday night......going to King's Dominion on Sunday.....4th of July cookout with neighbors on Monday....take my son to church camp earlier that day.......work on Tuesday and Wednesday......pick up my son from camp on thursday......pack the "nothing" I'll take to the hospital......go to D.C. to spend the night Thursday night (leaving my baby for the night for the first time in 16 months)....be at the hospital 5:45 a.m. Friday morning.....surgery at 7:45......discharged by 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning and back home :shock:

I may think of more as time goes on but for now this is all I know. I will be showing my DH and MIL how to post here for after surgery so you'll all know I WOKE UP :shock: I'm worried about that by the way.

Better get to work. 9 folks to see at the jail today and that won't be pretty. Continue to pray that I won't injure any WHINEY probationers or my CHILDREN or my DH over the next two weeks......it's iffy folks ;) LILMSTEXAS is STRESSED OUT TO THE MAX...WARNING...WARNING>>>

Have an awesome 4th of July weekend everybody. Make a promise to yourself that you will not be the one coming on here Tuesday to complain and freak out over cheating on MONDAY :shock: The 4th of July is INDEPENDENCE DAY!! Let's all celebrate our INDEPENDENCE from FOOD and POOR HEALTH and FLAB!!

CHEERS everybody!!
Christi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mytime » June 28th, 2005, 5:12 am

Christi- don't know if you will have a chance to read this before you go but I just wanted to write something as you always have something nice to say to everyone else. I hope and know it will go very well. You are very prepared and ready to do this. Your husband and children will be fine and love you a lot. Regardless of what you weigh after you are going to be even more beautifull ! Remember there will be swelling and from what little I have seen on TV it might actually take sometime 6 weeks or so for your body to recover. In the mean time just like on MF you will feel stronger and look better everyday. I will be watching to see how it goes and thinking of you. Happy 4th and be well, Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby KeleeGrl » June 28th, 2005, 5:35 am

Christi--I'm so sorry you didn't have a better experience at the doctors yesterday, especially because you are so excited about having your surgery..... some doctors need to take classes on bedside manners! This sort of thing happened to me when I had to get my shoulder operated on and I ended up going home in tears and my husband didn't know what the heck was wrong with me when I got home!...it was only my shoulder! Hang in there and we will all be thinking about you.....your going to be even more beautiful!
Kelli
Re-re-restarted MF: 3/10/08

KeleeGrl
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Re: LilMsTexas' Surgery Saga

Postby DonicaB » June 28th, 2005, 6:03 am

LilMsTexas wrote:Oh Oh...here's a big question.......
Q: How much weight will this take off?
A: About TWO POUNDS!! :shock:

What the heck?? Is she serious?? She's talking about taking off the rest of my stomach and she thinks it's about TWO FREAKING POUNDS!! Is she nuts?? My scales say I have 15lbs to go to goal and there is NO WAY that this big blob on the front of me is just 2 freaking lbs!! Needless to say we'll have to wait and see how that develops.

I agree, Christi, 2# sounds very low. Of course, I have never seen the "Big Blob" as you call it.

Don't worry about how much weight it will take off.......just think about how good you are going to look.

As far as surgeons are concerned........they usually don't give any information that is not pryed out of them. Most need to go to some sort of "How to treat patients like real people" class.

I'm sure you are getting a little nervous about all of this.........which is causing some frustration........but telling you to try not to think about it is useless so...............just think about all the sexy little clothes you will soon be wearing.......shirts tucked in and all.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby bk » June 28th, 2005, 6:36 am

Christi - good luck!!! I hope you're snooping around some plastic surgery boards, because i know FOR SURE that many people use scar tape (they sell it at the drug store) to care for their post-op scars. goodness knows all the other tips & tricks. i can't wait for your new tummy-less self!!!!!!!! so excited!!!!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby want2Bthin » June 28th, 2005, 6:49 am

Christi-

You just gotta love the way some docs & surgeons are so evasive. :roll: I think they forget that we are not docs ourselves & sometimes need guidance. I am positive you will have great nurses in recovery & they will get you all set for home & your recovery time! :D

I am getting so excited for you. I will not only pray for a safe & speedy recovery but I will also ask for the "big blob" to way more then 2 pounds! :mrgreen:

Don't worry too much. You will be so happy with your new sexy stomach & everything will be worth it!

Angelia :D
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby shortgirl » June 28th, 2005, 7:28 am

HI good luck with the surgery and do do do use the special cleanser before the surgery. I just saw that on a TV program that everyone going in for surgery shoud do that. Listen to the nurse. Sometimes they know more about stuff than the doctors I think. I know you are going to get thru this with flying colors and look wonderful in the end. Judy from Iowa
shortgirl
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » June 28th, 2005, 8:45 am

Hi Christi,
With all our good thoughts heading your way, there's no need to worry...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby 24KaratGold » June 28th, 2005, 9:29 am

Christi, I am so excited for you, and I can't wait to hear your post-surgery analysis! I admit that I've been wondering about doing this when I get to goal, but I'm also quite a bit older than you and it might not really be worth it. Still....

I'd be curious to know if the recovery is about the same as from a C-section; I've heard that it is. But the best part is how good you will look AND that it will, please God, end that skin problem you've been having for so long.

Our prayers are with you, hon.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby tink » June 28th, 2005, 10:16 am

Christi - It sounds like you really did your homework and managed to get some questions answered despite your Doctor. I have had two c-sections and a hysterectomy all in the same incision. I have been told that your procedure will feel very much like these surgeries. I didn't have to do anything special to care for my incision it just healed on its own. I just watched it closely for any signs of infection but had no problems with any of mine. I have several friends one of which just had the tummy tuck and I told her that using her knees to get in and out of bed is the easiest way. You will be sore that is for sure but nothing you can't handle. I would always stand facing the side of the bed and put on knee up then the other and turn on my knees then slide carefully on my bootie! I also have a serious problem with getting IV's put in or giving/getting blood. I have rolling veins they just don't stay still. I learned years ago from a RN when I was having my son to always ask for a "butterfly" when they take blood you will be amazed at how much easier it it. A "butterfly" is just a tiny needle attached to a little plastic gizmo that goes on the big needle and is so much easier for them to hit a vein. I also found out you can ask them to numb your arm with a novacaine type spray that really helps.
Please don't worry you will be fine trust me .. I am amazed at how the scare heals and gets smaller and smaller with time. I have had 3 incisions all in the same spot and you can barely tell now. I am so happy that you are getting this wonderful opportunity to do something for yourself to feel better physically and mentally. I am sure I will need some morale support when I get ready to have my breast lift done. My hubby promised after I hit goal weight to do that for me!

Lots of Hugs and Prayers ......... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Kellie
"Just keep shaking shaking shaking"
tink
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby doglover » June 28th, 2005, 7:48 pm

Christi - you are amazing! I had a rather serious surgery in 1999 and one aspect that I assumed on I found out I was totally wrong as they were WHEELING ME THRU THE DOORS! I was amazed that my doc had not felt the need to share this info! Anyway....I can't believe it is almost here. I am going to learn all I can thru you and know you will do so well!

You go girl!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » June 29th, 2005, 7:05 pm

Dear Christi, Our own Lil’ Mis Texas ~

Our prayers are with you this evening as you embark on your tummy adventure! I am sorry your doctor was evasive and the replies and answers were so minimal…the recovery nurses will be wonderful and they should be able to help you a lot.

Our daughter just had a C section on the 19th and her recovery is going very well. Her stitches were all internal and she has paper tape in vertical strips along the incision. She took narcotic pain meds for three days while in the hospital, one more day at home and then just uses Tylenol plus Ibuprofen. Doglover’s idea for scooching under the sheets is great! Very soon that Monster Belly will be gone and a smooth tighter tum-tum will be in its place.

We love you to pieces, Lil’ Mis! Give me a call when and if you are able, let’s chat and giggle a bit!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby fatBgone » June 29th, 2005, 8:11 pm

Christi,
So sorry about your ordeal at the Dr appt. It's sure a good thing you knew what questions to ask - I don't know that I would have been that prepared.

I really think (hope) that your recovey nurses will be top notch & I'm pretty sure they will. It's usually the nurses who do all the work and keep the patients happy, but the doctors get all the $$. (hehe...nothing against doctors though...)

I had to have my gallbladder removed a few years ago and the first doctor that I went to that diagnosed it was horrible!! There was NO way I was going to let him do anything to me - and it was all because of his "bedside" manners - or should I say "lack of". Anyway, I called and called for 2 days until I found an office that I felt like I "clicked" with and it was the best thing I could have done. My baby was only 2 months old and I really wanted to have the surgery as an outpatient deal so I could come home and be with my baby & that first doctor would not even consider it...."It is a one night stay - at least" was his response. Well, the doctor that did the surgery wouldn't promise that I could go home the same day, but told me that as long as there were no complications and I came out of recovery well, then he would release me. I did get to go home the same day and even though I wasn't up and moving around - at least I got to come home and hold my newborn son and know that he was happy to be back in my arms. I just couldn't imagine being apart from him when he was that little.

Well - enough of that ramblin story....I know you'll be fine though! You've got the best spirit and you're obviously a strong woman. And I also think you'll lose more than 2 pounds....I can't imagine that at all!! She probably just goes with a really low number so that you will be glad with whatever you lose and not get your hopes up and be disappointed if it's anything less. But, whatever the number is, just remember that you'll be free of those infections and you'll lose lots of inches!!

Take care and I'll be saying a prayer for you & your family as you go through this. I'm sure it's stressful, but it'll all be over before you know it!! It just seems like a couple of days ago that you got your approval for the surgery and it's already here!!

Make sure and have Darren call Nancy and then she can post here on the board for all of us - as we'll be anxiously waiting to hear how you're doing!!

Lisa

Oh & PS - enjoy the 4th of July....try & relax!!
Lisa
fatBgone
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to Come on in.