Life in the slow lane

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Life in the slow lane

Postby fairladyj » February 23rd, 2007, 11:36 am

I'm trying to not get impatient - I lost 14.5 lbs in my first month which ended 2/3. Since then, I have only lost about another 4 lbs - the scale fluctuates 2 - 3 lbs/day, so I try not to freak out too much.

I put on a pair of pants yesterday that my husband bought me for my birthday in Nov. that were too small. They fit really well by the end of Jan. Put them on yesterday, and they fit well in the hips and are getting loose in the waist.

I generally need to lose about 20 lbs to go down 1 size. So - I am trying to convince myself that my body is in "adjustment" mode - not really on a plateau, even though the scale isn't really going down right now.

I have stayed close to or within the calorie/fat/carb/fiber limits, although I did need to do some substituttions when I ran out of some items - soup and bars. For instance, I subbed 1/2 can of regular chicken noodle but didn't eat most of the noodles, and subbed the Kellogg snack bars. Could this be the reason for the lag?

I am now stocked up and using 100% MF - hopefully the scale will get unstuck!
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Re: Life in the slow lane

Postby MusicalMomma » February 23rd, 2007, 11:56 am

fairladyj wrote: For instance, I subbed 1/2 can of regular chicken noodle but didn't eat most of the noodles, and subbed the Kellogg snack bars. Could this be the reason for the lag?

Oh Yeah!!! Those Kellogg snack bars are LOADED with carbs. And the chicken noodle soup isn't as nutritious as medifast...and if you ate some of the noodles...more carbs. We need to stay under 100 carbs per day to maintain ketosis...ideally betwee 80-85 carbs per day. Under 80 = starvation mode...Over 100 = No ketosis. ;)

Hang in there!! Now that you're fully stocked, I'll bet those pounds start jumping off again ;)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby GucciGoo » February 23rd, 2007, 12:05 pm

We are not allowed any noodles or cereal, so I think you overdid your carbs.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » February 23rd, 2007, 12:19 pm

One small correction. Usually starvation mode only applies to calories, not carbs. People on low-carb diets eat far less than 80 grams a day, and they're nowhere near starvation mode.

But yes, eating those off-plan foods can definitely affect your weight loss. And some people are just slower losers, too. I averaged about a pound a week even when I followed the plan to the letter.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » February 23rd, 2007, 12:50 pm

DogMa wrote:One small correction. Usually starvation mode only applies to calories, not carbs. People on low-carb diets eat far less than 80 grams a day, and they're nowhere near starvation mode.

:oops: wooooops I stand corrected ;)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » February 23rd, 2007, 12:56 pm

I had 2 jam sandwiches a few days apart and it threw me off for a long time.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

slow lane

Postby fairladyj » February 23rd, 2007, 1:18 pm

Wow - amazing
I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about nutrition (not that I always practice what I preach!). B ut this diet is totally different from anything else I've ever seen - It reminds me of the saying by Arthur C. Clarke (science fiction writer) "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic"

This system has something that makes it work that makes it seem pretty much like magic - I tend to be very cynical, and usually think that companies just try to sell you their stuff by telling you not to deviate from their plan or it won't work.

Well, this time they're right - :oops: learned my lesson :oops: - 20 lashes with a wet noodle :stickwack: (gotta do something with them if I can't eat them!). I told myself I was gonna make this work no matter what, since I am really cheap, and hate to waste money. Thanks for the help.
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » February 23rd, 2007, 1:58 pm

I know what you mean. I've always been pretty skeptical about the whole magical ratio and nutritional content (especially since the ratio of protein to carbs tends to vary quite a bit from product to product), but the proof, as they say, is in the Medifast pudding.

Slow or fast, you WILL lose if you stick with the program.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby horsey girl » February 24th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Yup, The extra carbs gotcha. Most of the snack and protein bars are not acceptable. They are loaded with carbs. If you are caught out I have found some Atkins bars that work in a pinch. They are a little higher in fat though so reserve for emergencies. The fat won't throw you out of ketosis but it won't help your weight loss. I havent found a soup yet that would work and as some one pointed out you are missing out on the nutrition anyway. This diet isn't just low calorie, but as you found it's also carefully balanced. I can relate about the jam sandwiches, Biki. I went to the Outback two weeks ago for a birthday dinner and gained three pounds! :shock: It has taken two weeks to get things back on track and just back to where I was! :x It wasn't the dinner that got me. It was that chocolate brownie. :mrgreen: Even though I shared it with two other people. :( Jennifer, at least you had some left over noodles for the lashing! ;)
Ad Astra per Aspera
horsey girl
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Return to The Weight Room