LADIES ONLY !!!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

LADIES ONLY !!!

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2005, 9:46 pm

I just began the medifast program a few days ago and it has caused a yeast infection. Now, I'm really prone to them so I wasn't tooooo surprised, but I was a little. There must be some serious hormonal changes going on with this program. Has anyone else had this experience?

Postby Nancy » August 29th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Not that I know of...been doing this for three years, yeast-free. Sorry...others?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby LuzInIt » August 30th, 2005, 7:33 am

Hi Guest. Prior to Medifasting, I was plagued by ongoing yeast infections due to obesity and diabetes -apparently they are quite common among us. I am happy to report that since beginning my weight loss journey, first on Atkins and since March on Medifast, I haven't had a single occurrence. Perhaps you are experiencing a residual infection from prior to beginning the plan; they certainly can be a result of excessive sugar in the system. If so, you should be free and clear soon. Best Wishes to you.
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby jentuke » August 30th, 2005, 9:02 am

Oooo! I hate those!

I'm not a scientist, but here is some sciencey stuff. One of the triggers of yeast infections is hormones. People that are prone to them often get them around their period. A major ingredient in these supplements is Soy. Soy is a natural estrogen source. As such, the soy might have triggered an infection. Hopefully, with the reduction of sugars and your body acclimating to the products, you'll see a reduction in infections.
jentuke
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » August 30th, 2005, 9:25 am

Hiya! Sorry to hear about your infection :(

From what I've read, going on MF releases estrogen stored in fat cells. (Fat cells looove to hoard estrogen, and other things floating around in the body at times.) Because the fat cells get such a push, there can be a flush of hormones... and maybe stored sugar too?

I also think that once your body gets used to MF, you should be in the clear! :) I noticed when I was on it before (Oct. '04-Dec. '04), I had many good effects from it - heartburn gone, arthritis much less painful, slept better, cholesterol plummeted, and even cuts and scrapes healed up quicker.

It's really impressive what proper nutrition can do for your body. I think too not burdening the body with tons of "bad foods" helps too! Takes a lot of energy to digest that stuff ;)

Please keep us informed of how you do! :pet:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Slimsoon » August 30th, 2005, 10:33 pm

For the yeast infection go the health food store and ask for a probiotic. They should be in the refrigerated section. This will balance out the good bacteria in your system .
Anitibiotics can give you a yeast infection . I have gotten one from taking an antibiotic for a ear infection .The probiotic worked better than Diflucan. If you are prone to getting them you can take the probiotic everyday before you devolpe an infection.
Too much sugar, yeasty foods ( alchohol & breads) , Caffiene are some ot the other things that can cause a yeast infection .
Slimsoon

Postby DogMa » September 14th, 2005, 12:34 pm

I also have to wonder if it was "brewing" before you started the Medifast. Just because you got an infection a few days after starting doesn't mean the Medifast CAUSED the infection.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2006, 10:13 am

I just started the medifast program about 6 days ago, and I experienced this same problem. So I came to the forum to search and see if anyone else has had this happen. I am so glad that I am not the only one. I AM prone to them, but I only get then when something important happens, like i take an antibiotic, or start a new birth control. So I know it wasn't "brewing", before I started. It must be the estrogen flux. I think i'll try that probiotic thing. This forum is so helpful :)

Postby aphrael » March 2nd, 2006, 10:43 am

You could also add a daily acidophilus vitimin. That should help keep things more in line. This was recomened to me by my OB before I even started Medifast since I was getting them frequently.

Good luck, I know how misserable those are...
Aphrael

Due Nov. 16th
aphrael
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » March 3rd, 2006, 12:26 am

:hugblue: So sorry that happened to you - you're too nice for that to bug you right now.

Hope it clears up soon!

:bow: Thank you, MakeMeThinner Friends for helping our Guest.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss