Ladie please help---kinda scared here!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Ladie please help---kinda scared here!

Postby Southern Girl » January 16th, 2005, 7:55 pm

I have been on Medifast,the 5-1 program since Thanksgiving.Have lost 18 lbs,have 15 more to go.I am just worried about some menstrual problems I am having that are "new" for me. First,I was about 4 days late,very unusual.Then it was heavier than ever,now 10 days later I am still spotting.This has never happened to me before,even though I am 43,perimenopausal and have a history of severe endometriosis.Have any of yall ever had these kind of problems since starting Medifast? One of my counselors at the center told me she has had the same thing but I am still very worried.Thank you so much
Southern Girl

hi

Postby NikkiNix » January 17th, 2005, 12:47 am

Hey Southern Girl,

I think my periods have gotten a little bit better since I started Medifast but, maybe your endometriosis has something to do with it. I would get checked out by a Dr. Maybe it's just the pre-menapause or maybe it's the product I think optifast is didferent than Medifast because on MF we have 5 shakes and 1 lean green meal. It doesn't sound like your getting enough calories and that might cause your body to react that way also working out you need more calories but then again I don't know how much the optifast has in them. I would ask your Dr. to see if that's what it could be. Even though this is a medifast forum I think your welcome because if your on a journey to lose weight as we all are here you will get good support.

Good luck and let us know what the Dr. said
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby MamaD » January 17th, 2005, 7:46 am

Hey Southern
I am a southern girl too, welcome to the forum. First of all let me say that I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV...(Ya'll remember that commercial??? little early humor here.........) but......when I was YOUR age...... Oh I remember it well, that is when my endometriosis really kicked in. The symptoms you are describing is exactly what happened to me. The word "regular" flew so far out of my vocabulary that it wasn't even funny!! Aunt flo and I visited every 10 days.

I think that all the soy in MF is suppose to help all that female stuff not hurt....ya know? I am sensing that you are really nervous about this situation, and I strongly suggest that you call your doctor now. If for no other reason then to put your mind at ease. Peace of mind is worth everything. Talk to your doctor before you work yourself into a swivet and go off program. We southern girls have a tendancey to swivet everything!!!!

Okee doke, if you want to pm me we can talk more. I am sure that Nancy will be chiming in on this...and I am also almost positive that she is going to say call the doc.

27 degrees here and still shakin'
8) 8)
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » January 17th, 2005, 8:46 am

Southern Girl,
I agree with everyone here and think you should call the doctoe for an appt and see what is going on.
I have had a hysterectomy and I had your problem along with many others and it was well before my MF days,so it may just be coincidental.
I wish you well and please call the doctor and get some professional answers that will help you.
God Bless
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Hi

Postby NikkiNix » January 17th, 2005, 11:35 am

I just noticed when I post this last night I must have been half a sleep because I was reading all the new post and I mixed two of you gals up. I also was reading Dorene post, who is on optifast, and your post(Southern Girl) who is on MF and kinda mixed my response. I reread your post and noticed your not on optifast at all and I apoligize for making a huge idiot out of myself. The other ladies oviously know what they are talking about so I would listen to them. I apoligize for the mix up, and by the way only having 15 more lbs to goal is amazing. Your oviously doing something right! Keep on Shakin little women you'll be at goal in no time.

Sorry about that
Nikki
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nite Izes » January 17th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Hello Southern, since you stated that you have a history of severe endometriosis meaning you have been diagnosed with this condition, it is my personal opinion that you see your gynecologist and speak to her/him about the symptoms you are experiencing and the change in your menstrual cycle. I also recommend that you request to have a gyn ultrasound done as well. The doctor would know what is going on and knows your medical history to provided a proper assessment, diagnosis and treatment.

I know from my personal experience that for me Medifast has nothing to do with my gyn hormonal system, although the fiber contents in Medifast has helped me along with my digestive system that was quite screwed up to begin with.
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Southern Girl » January 17th, 2005, 12:49 pm

Actually I have been doing some online research and have found that it can do some crazy things with your cycle!!! I wish I knew how to post a link,(not too computer savvy) but I found a place where women were talking about this same subject and 3 women said the same thing happened to them and drs could find no reason why so they figured it was diet related.Also, found where John Hopkins said Medifsat was rich in isosoyflavins,hope I spelled that right,and it did something to do the estrogen levels to lenghthen your cycyle and help reduce your exposure to estrogen and reduce your risk of cancer.I know I just screwed all that up trying to write it/quote it,but I actually found a study on it online!
Southern Girl

Postby Nancy » January 18th, 2005, 2:32 am

Estrogen is stored in our fat and therefore, as we lose weight, the fat cells are emptied and more estrogen is released into our system - thus the warnings to take precautionary measures regarding pregnancy - women can become more fertile. Low calorie diets can also temporarily affect a woman's cycle. Pre-menstrual syndrome can be intensified initially: Look out men! Head for the garage!

My periods stopped for a while many times during my previous dieting careers only to return as soon as I re-established my foody ways...

I'd certainly suggest a check with your gyno but this is not unusual by any means.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Weight Loss