I'm kinda confused...

Add your favorite recipes.

I'm kinda confused...

Postby ChubNoMo » June 14th, 2006, 12:20 am

I've been reading recipes tonite, and I don't quite understand how to count foods containing FF cheese, meat or chicken and eggs together. I wasn't even aware we could mix it up like that. How do you know how much you're eating of each? I've been eating VERY boring Lean and Green for some time now, meaning grilled chicken or meat with either steamed veggie or salad. I need some variety!

Thanks!

Karin :)

Start: 3/6/06
ChubNoMo
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby Serendipity » June 14th, 2006, 4:19 am

Karin,

I, for one, don't want to fuss with all the figuring. It's much easier for me to just eat it plain than to try to figure out if I'm straying off plan. I don't like wondering if I've got the right amount of my lean or green. I like to see that number on my food scale and I like to see the veggies in the measuring cup. I've been on the program for 8 months and I'm still not bored. I use chicken, beef, shrimp, fresh fish, useing spices and low calorie or no calorie sauces for variety.

Personally, for me, this program works so well because it is so simple. Thank goodness we don't have to count points or look up substitutions on a chart....yuck! Just gimmie my grilled chicken and I'm a happy girl.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Sarya » June 14th, 2006, 5:23 am

I just calculate the differences when I put two things together. Although I'll tell you that generally speaking I only combine meat and cheese :D I've never added egg as well. That might mess me up.

For instance: a cheeseburger. you only get 5oz of red meat so I'd do something like 4oz hamburger and 1oz cheese.

I imagine if I was combining a bunch of proteins into one I'd have to weigh it afterwards to decide on a serving. So if it was mostly chicken I'd go with 7oz of the finished product; mostly red meat would be 5oz.

--S
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby falisamarie » June 14th, 2006, 5:26 am

I agree with Jo 100% I just keep it simple. All those foods will be there when I get to maintenance so I can wait it out.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby ascicles » June 14th, 2006, 7:17 am

Honestly, I just try to get it close. I don't worry about being exact with my measurements.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby just_julie » June 14th, 2006, 7:55 am

I don't think the cheese measures ounce for ounce with our lean proteins. I go by percentages. For example, if we're allowed 7 oz of chicken OR up to a cup of cheese, I could have half of each (3.5 oz of chicken + up to a 1/2 cup of cheese.) Or figure 3/4 serving of one + 1/4 serving of the other. Does that make sense?

It is also important to remember that the calories for your L & G should equal 300. When I have cheese alone, I have 3 oz of Cabot 50% Light as that equals 210 calories. I have just enough calories left for my veggies/salad.
just_julie

Started March 4th (aka my day to go forward)

just_julie

Postby supermom » June 14th, 2006, 8:14 am

I don't often eat a L&G, as I usually do the full plan. HOWEVER, when I do have a meal, I usually fix a mixture of something, as my family likes that a little better. Like the Chicken Marco Polo. It has chicken, ham, cheese and brocoli. A 6 or 6 1/2 ounce raw chicken breast usually cooks down to about 5 ounces. Then I figure some ham, a slice of cheese makes up the remainder of protein. It is not exact, but I think it is okay. At least it keeps me from wanting something that is definitely NOT okay. Other times, I do like Julie. I would have 1/2 of each allowed portion. Does that make sense??
supermom

Postby ChubNoMo » June 14th, 2006, 8:36 am

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this :D Jo and Lisa, you're so right about the being simple. I tend to forget that's one of the reasons I LIKE this plan so much. I've been the "points" route for many many years and it gets to be so confusing and all I think about is FOOD! :lol: I guess just knowing I could mix it up a bit if I wanted to is a good thing, and now I understand how I can.

Another thing, I always weigh my meat/fish, but I have never measured veggies or salad. Sometimes I even have both at the same time. Does it really make that much difference? I don't think I even realized the L&G was to total 300 cal. (geeze haven't I been listening?? :roll: )

Karin

Start: 3/6/06
ChubNoMo
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby supermom » June 14th, 2006, 8:45 am

I wasn't measuring my veggies either. Then one night I decided to measure 2 cups of salad. BOY!!! That is a lot of salad. (Keep in mind that I don't particulary like lettuce) I quickly found new ways to cook veggies that are allowed and learn to like them. There was NO WAY in you know where that I could eat that much lettuce every day.
supermom

Postby Jan » June 14th, 2006, 8:55 am

Oh My Goooodness,
It looks to me that the "lean cuisine" section is "off and running" Right down the slippery slope!!! :cry: I know some of you are very very excellent when it comes to the kitchen. :D Me...hmmm But, here's the problem, the more we "fool around" with ingredients the more likely we are to cause a problem for ourselves. Once we're on maintenance we have more opportunity for now....
It is a very very slippery slope when we start putting various ingredients together. Soon we are way over our alloted amount for carbs, fats and sometimes even protein. I noticed that someone had used chicken thighs and added cheese. Chicken thighs themselves are high in fat. Higher than many cuts of beef then adding cheese ...... please keep in mind what we are trying to accomplish with this program. It is the safest and quickest way to part with the pounds. But please follow it very very compliantly... simple is best.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine