Just ordered some samples........this is long.......

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Just ordered some samples........this is long.......

Postby Kim » September 18th, 2004, 10:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to say hello - as I've spent most of the day reading practically every post and page on this site. I've been researching Medifast and feel that it could be what I need.

I'm in the position where I am so uncomfortable with my weight - not just how it looks on me, but how I feel - that I must do something! I decided that I did not want to turn 40 and be overweight. I will turn 40 on February 14, 2005. I have been feeling pretty desperate about what I face. I have about 50 pounds to lose. I have tried WW - hated the counting, weighing of food, meetings etc.

I struggle with having a busy, stressful life - probably as most everyone does. I am married (more on my DH later..), have three kids (15, 14 & 10), work full-time where I drive 2,000 miles a month so I am sitting a lot and I am about 1/2 way through a graduate degree program. I am blessed as the kids are all healthy - are good kids, my husband and I are both employed in jobs we enjoy and we are happy. But for me, there is always this overriding sense of failure - I feel pretty successful in just about every other area of my life - except for weight and eating.

My husband was a distance runner up until about 15 years ago when he became disabled on active duty. He hasn't ever had weight issues and for a long time could not relate to my problem in this area. However, in the last year or so he has been gaining weight and feels the need to get rid of it. He can't run any longer and takes a lot of pain and other medications every day - so he is having to deal with those things.

BUT - we talked today and he is willing to do this with me. This is the first time he has offered to join me on this kind of thing and I am really proud of him and thankful. He is concerned with how the shakes and other products taste so I ordered a bunch of samples and paid for FedEx 2 day Air! I think we will have a tasting party of our own on Wednesday and if all goes well we will be on our way.

I have some questions about the program/product. I am planning to do the complete plan as I have more to lose and don't want choices. Also, since I am in the car so much I planned on using the RTD shakes during those times and the powdered ones the rest of the time. How do the shakes taste in comparison? My other question is regarding my husband. He is wanting to lose less weight than me - 20 pounds I think - and he wants to lift weights to try to build his upper body strength back up - should he do the regular 5 & 1 plan or the sports one?

Sorry this was so long - but thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. :D
Kim

Postby sudaoning » September 19th, 2004, 7:47 am

Hi Kim and Big Welcome!

Will turn 52 this week and started with a goal of around 80 lbs (still not firm on the final number). I just wanted you to know that I too drive about 2,000 miles a month. Single with 4 kids, 2 at home. VERY busy, and have not yet engaged in a regular exercise program, but the loss so far is around 30 lbs in what? about 6 weeks I think.

You will find this so convenient. There's always someplace to stop for water in case you need an emergency shake. You will find a routine that fits for you in no time and be lettin go of the extra padding.

Someone with more experience will have to answer the hubby question.

Gald to have you in the family!
It works!
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » September 19th, 2004, 7:59 am

Good Morning Kim and Husband ~

Welcome to the MakeMeThinner Forum! This is a happenin' place and I am thankful that you have been doing some research.

If you are determined to do the Complete Program, of course you know that you must be under a doctor's care for that, right?

Whenever a person makes some changes in their eating habits or their physical activity, it is important to check with their doctor. A simple change in eating habits can affect one's health and in particular, if one s taking medications, dosages are sometimes adjusted or eliminated.

I am happy to answer your questions regarding your husband. For his weight loss needs, he would be on the Five and One Program. The Men's Bio-engineered Shakes are used once he reaches his ideal weight. Then he may use the Take Shape Shakes for maintenance and/or the Men's Bio-engineered Shakes for added energy, stamina and power.

Because of the pain he has and his injury history, may I suggest a program for him? I would suggest that he use three Medifast Plus Joint Health shakes, one serving of soup or chili and one bar a day. You can get the outline for the Lean and Green for you both from my website and from Forum pages. I feel he will benefit greatly by using the Joint Health shakes and as he loses the excess weight, his joints and muscles will feel happier, too.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 19th, 2004, 8:03 am

Hi, Kim! I hope you like the taste well enough to start a "relationship" with it, 'cause if you do, I'm willing to bet that you'll be very pleased with how easy it is -- no food distractions -- and how well it works. No need for you to turn 40 overweight.

Like Sudaoing, I'm leaving your rather product-specific question to someone else -- probably will be Nancy. Nice that your husband will join you, as her husband did and lost about 60 pounds, as I recall. I also can't answer your question of RTDs compared to the shakes; although I own some RTDs, I haven't ever opened the package. When I'm home, I love the powder (I prefer Dutch Chocolate -- and Orange Pineapple on occassion) prepared in the blender, often with a sweetner packet as I really do have a sweet tooth. To me, the Dutch Chocolate can pass for regular chocolate milk that way. I kinda hate to say this, but to me, it's yummy and I look forward from one shake to the next.

Good luck to you, and nice to meet you.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Thanks

Postby Kim » September 19th, 2004, 10:18 am

Thanks for your replies. We went ahead and ordered some samples last night so we can give things a try. We didn't want to spend a lot and find out that we can't tolerate the taste. I think that I will not have a problem adjusting - but my husband (being the athlete he was for so long) has NEVER had to adjust his eating or use products like this. So I'm hopeful that he will be ok with it all.

I had thought that maybe the joint health product might be useful for him - but it's hard to say as he's had soooo many surgeries and has been on medications for so long. He has degenerative disk disease in his neck/spine and the shouler issue as well. He is sometimes lactose intolerant - but from my reading it looks like the RTD is the only product with lactose right?

As for myself I am going to make an appointment for a physical with my doctor - as I've avoided going in for a while. I was 2 years late on my women's check up --- as I've been busy and didn't want to go in. I'm not sure how my doctor will react to this idea - but I imagine he will be ok with doing the labs.

So..we are waiting for Wednesday - which is when I hope everything arrives - for a taste test date. All of my kids are out of the house on Wednesday nights for church activities. I usually go with a friend for margaritas on Wednesdays.......but this will be better! ;)
Kim

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 19th, 2004, 11:07 am

Welcome Kim! :wave:

Yuppers, gonna have to forget about Margarita nights for a while BUT it's HAPPY HOUR ALL THE TIME here! We're all high on MF! ;) Makes you feel terrific. It's gonna be great to have your husband on MF along with you. My doc had never heard of MF but was encouraging nonetheless. I've been more successful on this program than any other I've ever tried. Success to you both, happy you've found this forum, and hope to see you often! :wavie:

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Thanks

Postby Kim » September 19th, 2004, 12:50 pm

Thanks!! I am getting excited to start...
Kim

Postby susan » September 19th, 2004, 5:52 pm

Kim
I love the chicken and rice soup with a packet of mf crackers, the cho and orange pineapple shakes are really good I didn,t care for the rtd shakes I was still hungry after I drink them I like to mix the powder in 10 ouncess of water with some ice and blend them up real frothy and cold thry are really good.
susan welcome to the forum
231/177/130
I am not a quiter I will hang in there tillI get to goal with the good lords help
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby Kim » September 19th, 2004, 6:49 pm

So you can increase the volume of the powdered shakes more than the RTD? I was thinking that for convenience sake I would use the RTD in the car - but if they are easy to mix up and carry along maybe the powder will work. If I was to make a thermos up in the morning - does it keep well? My husband is a teacher so I was thinking for him a thermos would be a good way to go as well.

Thanks.
Kim

Postby Sylvia » September 19th, 2004, 7:05 pm

Kim,

Welcome!

I use both the RTD and the powdered shakes. I like the powdered ones a lot better and if you mix them in a blender and add ice you can increase the volume quite a bit. You absolutely can't beat the convenience of the rtd's though. I am out and about on the weekends and carry one or two along. Just sticking the straw in is som much easier that mixing a powdered shake. Also, you will really want to wash out your shaker immediately after finishing the shake - it gets pretty gross if you leave it sitting even a little while.

I started this in May wanting to lose about 75 pounds. It took me just about 4 months to lose 50 and I am now around 55. WHile I can't say it's been easy, it has actually been much easier than I expected it to be. If you stick to this, you too will achieve your goals and be a thin 40. I too will be turning 40 next year - in May and will also be thin.

Hope to see you back here after your tasting event!

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Good to know..

Postby Kim » September 19th, 2004, 7:24 pm

Sylvia - thanks for the info. I did HMR before and the same thing happened with the shaker or blender if you didn't wash it out right away - it was nasty. Well, it sounds like you are doing wonderfully. I hope that losing 50 between 10/04-2/14/05 is reasonable. It will be a great birthday present!! :-P
Kim

I too drive 2,000 plus mile monthly

Postby NE gal in South » September 20th, 2004, 12:58 pm

I started 14 weeks ago and have lost 62 pounds. This plan is easy for those of us who lead busy lives, all you do is shake and eat. Once a day, lunch or dinner I have a 2 cup salad with 3 ounces cooked broiled chicken, (sometimes shrimp or salmon) and 1/4 cup of cuke & cherry tomatoes, low fat or no fat dressing. I limit my bars to 1 a day every other day. On the weekend I have oatmeal in place of 9 am shake, and I have the new dehydrated chicken breast for dinner with 3 cups of cooked veg. plus a 2 cup salad. I feel like I am eating way to much food and I still show a loss the next morning or 4 to 6 ounces. I have tried the Chicken & Wild Rice Soup and love it (I find that is best cooked on the stove in a saucepan rather than boiling over in the microwave), I have also tried the prepared Chicken Salad and like that as a quick supplement to my salad when I am running late and don't have chicken cupt to put on it. My testimony is it works, and it is convenient and tasty. I wish you luck. If you stick to it you are sure to lose.
cmc
NE gal in South
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Wow

Postby Kim » September 20th, 2004, 7:25 pm

Well, it sounds like you have it down to a science - and it's working. I'm getting excited to start. Did you ever try to complete plan? I'm thinking that eating will be a trigger so I'm planning on doing the complete fast.
Kim

Postby Jeanette » September 21st, 2004, 4:41 am

HI Kim....sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. Let us know when you get your product!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

The first 4 or 5 weeks I got a Caesar Salad with

Postby NE gal in South » September 21st, 2004, 6:19 am

grilled chicken and low fat dressing at the McDonald's Drive thru window near my house on my way home from work. The gal there got to know me and offered support. She would ask me how my diet was going and how much I had lost - when I told her she was mighty surprised and happy for me. I had to do this because I knew that I would make a salad that was probably outside of the plan here and there on my own. Remember I love good food - not Mickey Dee's. The two guys in my life (BEN & JERRY and sometimes Mr. Hagen-Daz) stopped calling after the first week of hang-ups and no return calls. When I went to Dallas the first week of August I did do the full plan for 3 days to avoid temptation, 2 days I ate 1 semi-legal salad and my shakes and 1 day I ate grilled veggies and grilled chicken, small salad and my shakes. I lost only 3 pounds that week and was okay with it.
cmc
NE gal in South

Next

Return to Come on in.