jskm

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby rodeomom » November 20th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I wanted to add my two pennies about the stay at home mom thing. It is my opinion that in many ways the whole Women's Rights movement actually contributed to the decline of our society. Don't everyone get all bent out of shape - I am just as happy as the next woman that we are supposed to be considered equal in the work place. HOWEVER, that movement IN MY OPINION actually went too far and turned women being able to work into women being forced into the work place. NO woman should EVER feel like she is less of a person because she doesn't have a job that she gets paid for outside of the home. Statistics will show over and over again that children raised by their own parent/s (ie stay at home mom vs day care) are less likely to have discipline issues and/or emotional problems.

THAT being said, I am not knocking ANY mother who chooses for whatever reason to work outside the home. I am one of those mom's. I had no choice since I was widowed at the age of 18 when I was 3 weeks pregnant.

There are many choices out there and for the most part that is a good thing. I just hate that our society today is one that encourages the feelings that Brooke expressed. Shame on "us" for allowing stay at home moms to feel like they are "less" because they don't work.
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » November 20th, 2007, 9:23 pm

No worries Brooke.

On the Dr. Laura thing... Di has that book.. but she also has a BS in Human Development so she pretty much knows it. ;)

On the Men understanding Women thing... Jo, I disagree.... we men totally DON'T get women, and we need all the help we can get (we just want everybody to think that we don't want help because we are too macho to admit that we want help :roll: )

Di forwarded a great online article to me and FORCED me to read it ;) , and it was great... really insightful, and it helps men understand the female brain (even if there is alot of scientific jargon).

If you want the URL, PM me, its pretty long to post, but the title was "
Why Men Just Don't Understand Women
Turns out, the average guy doesn't know jack about the female brain
By: Louann Brizendine, M.D. & Charles Hirshberg "

found on www dot menshealth dot com
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jskm » November 20th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Thanks again for all the support in what probably boils down to my own self esteem issues.

I think there's probably some elements of loneliness and lack of support involved too. With the holidays coming up I'm really missing having my family around. I have a big family and if I were near them would have a lot of tangible support in being a mom and I just have none of that. I'm really glad to be going home for Christmas this year--I haven't been home for the holidays since 1998. :cry: Sorry for all the whining. I'm feeling a little burned out on the military lifestyle right now. (It's been nine years; only 11 more to go.)
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby rodeomom » November 21st, 2007, 7:42 am

Mike wrote:Turns out, the average guy doesn't know jack about the female brain

DUH! :mrgreen:
rodeomom

Postby Serendipity » November 21st, 2007, 8:22 am

rodeomom wrote:
Mike wrote:Turns out, the average guy doesn't know jack about the female brain

DUH! :mrgreen:

But men don't obsess about it like we do. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby jskm » November 22nd, 2007, 12:04 pm

I haven't gotten the Dr. Laura book yet. My BX (base store) didn't have it--I thought it sounded like something they would carry too. I stopped at the library on my way out for errands yesterday but they weren't open yet and I didn't wait. I'll try again tomorrow.

My med combo is starting to fail. It's been showing signs of it for awhile, but they were mild and I stupidly didn't report them to my psychiatrist at our normal appointments because I really like this combo and didn't want to change it. For about a week it has been serious. It's probably really why I have been so down in my thinking about everything--including my posts here recently. My thinking is in a very dark place once again, this time I'm in a terrible mixed state and these are just awful. I see my psychiatrist in three weeks, I don't know if I should call him sooner. I'd like to put some distance between how bad it really is right now and when I actually see him. I don't want to go back in the hospital again, that was a horrible experience. I ended up just lying to them the whole time in there just to get out as soon as possible since they wouldn't let me see my son at all the whole time I was in there.

I haven't been compliant for a few days now. I haven't been eating off plan, rather I've only been eating 1-2 MF meals per day and nothing else. And for anyone with slow loss who's tempted to eat less, let me tell you--I'm not losing any faster, in fact I've slowed quite a lot now. I just have no appetite and I don't care.
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby bikipatra » November 22nd, 2007, 1:38 pm

I spent most of last winter in a mixed state and can really appreciate what you must be going through. I hate the old changing of the cocktail too but if it's time, it's time. I really hope you can get yourself to eat a bit more. It will only make you feel worse to starve. I hate going back in the hospital too but needed to this July. I was feeling suicidal and self-destructive Since then, when they switched my meds around my life has really changed. You most definitely should call your psychiatrist immediately. Leave a message or have him paged. It is his JOB. Keep calling.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby rodeomom » November 22nd, 2007, 8:15 pm

I agree with Biki! The longer you wait the more likely the chance of you being put back in the hospital. You are not taking good care of yourself, you need nutrition and 1 or 2 MF supplements is not enough. If not for you, do it for your family and CALL SOMEONE!! That dark place only gets darker (I know from personal experience), you cannot pull yourself out of it alone.

You have my email if you need me!!! Please do not be afraid to use it.
rodeomom

Postby Elizabeth » November 22nd, 2007, 9:19 pm

I'm sorry things aren't so good for you right now. Take care :hug:
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bikipatra » November 23rd, 2007, 4:15 am

I've been praying for you. Please let us know how things are going even if they haven't changed. I have been exactly where you are and it helps to let others support you. We can't fix you but we can listen.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby iammissruth » November 23rd, 2007, 2:07 pm

Brooke, please call your doctor. I know all about the dark place since I am currently fighting it myself. The girls are right. It's your psych's JOB to be there for you and to help you. You know where to find me if you need to talk.
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby Mike » November 23rd, 2007, 3:16 pm

I hope you did call your doctor. You can always call us as well, so please call someone. We are all here for you and want only the best for you.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jskm » November 23rd, 2007, 4:32 pm

I had decided to talk to my doctor. I didn't want to call him after hours so I was going to go by the office today and see when they could get me in. I thought for sure they'd be open (? mental patients/holiday time/lots of problems this time of year, today's not a holiday...) so I actually went to the office in person, and they were closed. I guess I'll wait till monday. I have a very small emergency reserve of zyprexa (GREAT emergency rescue drug), which I swore I'd never touch again b/c of weight gain issues, but I think I'll have to put that priority aside for now. A few days on it (till Monday) shouldn't kill me I don't think. I can't bring myself to page the doctor after hours. But I'll call the office monday morning and tell him what's going on.

I didn't want to deal with crowds, but dh made me go out today and it was a good call. We printed out some pictures of ds, he took me out to eat and I actually ate (legally of course!), I went to Old Navy and finally gave in and got some new jeans. I was expecting to be in 14s, but was surprised to need 12s instead! Dh bought me two pairs. What a great NSV.

I am better on the surface, but I know I need to see the doctor. This is just temporary. In any case, dh is aware of what's going on and is keeping a close eye on me (and my eating--so that's being monitored and kept back on track now).

Thanks for all the support here. I can't tell you how much it means to me.
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby Elizabeth » November 23rd, 2007, 5:14 pm

Sorry your doctors office was closed but it sounds like you had a good day and have a handle on things for now. I'm sure there is an emergency number if needed for the doctor, right? Take good care. God bless. :hug:
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby jskm » November 23rd, 2007, 6:15 pm

Geez, when it rains it pours!!! As if I wasn't having a bad enough week (weekend). Remember my post a week or so ago about North Carolina's mini tax audit on us??? Well today what greets me in my mail box? Something from the IRS!!!! I open it, it's just some letter about "your combat zone status from tax year 2003...bla bla bla...to give you the proper DEFERMENT we need the specific dates you were in the combat zone..."

Uh, ok, neither one of us was IN a combat zone in tax year 2003, and why would we need a DEFERMENT????? I get suspicious, can't find a copy of our return in our 2003 folder (uh-oh, here we go), so I call up the IRS automated line to request a transcript of our 2003 return and this is what I hear..." WE HAVE NO INFORMATION ON FILE FOR TAX YEAR 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WTF???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I KNOW!! I filed my GD taxes!! I got a flippin return! So I called the bank; they said if I come in the bank they can look up records that far back and track down the direct deposit for the return, so there's that. Dh is going to see his legal office on Monday. I'm just worried b/c we only got a TINY return and I'm afraid if you start adding on late filing fees we might end up OWING money by now!

But, J-SUS WHAT ELSE CAN CRAP ON ME THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal