JLaman79

1 Thread per registered User.

JLaman79

Postby jlaman79 » December 6th, 2006, 4:19 am

Well, I'm still surfing around this new (to me) forum, and decided this would be the place to tell you about myself and my MF journey so far.

I am 27 years old, a wife and mother of 2. My daughter just turned 7 and my baby boy is 18 months.

I've been overweight/obese since I was a teenager. As a child I was very active and athletic, I began to get pudgy in Jr. High and depression and stress caused my eating to go way over the line. I ate myself up to a size 22 by my senior year of high school beginning my first diet at Weight Watchers when I was 17.

I lost a little and gained a little and began Atkins when I was 22 years old. I got down to a comfortable size 18, and then went back to all of my old ways.

By the time I married and had my second child I weighed 272 pounds. I was worried about becoming pregnant again and decided to use the depo shot. I tried to do Atkins again beginning in Jan. of 06 but with the shot, was unable to lose any weight. Giving up once again, I was up to 285 by the time I discovered Medifast and rallied for one more try.

I was extremely depressed with my body, my lack of physical strength, my family history of diabetes and heart disease and knew that if something didn't change I would be a very sick and miserable person.

I looked into all the popular diet plans, surfed the net, read everything there was to read and decided to go with MF and natural family planning.

My first day was May the 24 and my life has changed. The first few weeks were very hard. Giving up the comfort of eating to feel better and snacking out of cravings and habits were really rough.

I've lost a total of 47 pounds. I'm in a tightish 18 once again. The difference this time is that I can stick with MF. Even when I went through a difficult financial period and had to go it alone for a month, I kept to the MF principals and was able to lose a few pounds on my own.

I'm excited with the changes that I can already see and I'm excited to see the changes that will come.

I look forward to living a more active lifestyle and being a better example to my kids.

I sometimes long for a good binge but my common sense and drive to succeed kick in, and though I've gone off plan for a meal or two, I've not had a major binge or break down.

I'm proud of myself for being able to see this through. I want to lose all this fat for once and for all, and enjoy the rest of my life with out constantly dealling with my weight.

I want to be a healthy and sexy wife for my husband who has always supported me and loved me and thought I was beautiful and sexy even at my highest weight. He told me when I began this journey that I had to do this for me and that he would love me no matter what. He's stood by me and it feels good to know that he's so proud of me.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 6th, 2006, 4:22 am

Welcome!

WOW! You've done a WONDERFUL job so far! I'm so happy for you! You must be so proud! It's nice to meetcha!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Karli » December 6th, 2006, 4:32 am

Oh my, JLA. I nearly cried reading your post ! I actually got chills from the inspiration. You have so much insight regarding who you are and how you want to expressed who you are in your daily life. That in itself is commendable. To have been able to make the decision you have made and to stick with it shows tremedous strength and courage. Thanks so much for sharing.

Karli
Karli

Postby jlaman79 » December 6th, 2006, 7:54 am

Hey Karli- Thanks for your words. I'm learning so much about myself and learning that I'm not alone. I've been the one bingeing and hiding the big mac wrappers, I've been the one sneaking quietly through the kitchen at night to snag a debbie cake and not wanting my hubby to see. All that time I thought I was the only one. I was embarrased to even admit that I had an eating problem, since I've been on MF it's all coming together. I understand much more about why I do the things I do.

DEDE- I've read some of your posts and your just amazing! I'm glad I get to know all of you. This seems like an exciting energizing time for us all.

I have to go out of town tomorrow afternoon for two nights and three days. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Every year our company holds this All Staff Convention. All the meals are catered group affairs and we're in meetings endlessly through out the day. They have a staff mixer with drinks and then a formal banquet.

I'm trying to be prepared with the easiest MF meals, bars, MF brownies, and so forth, and I'm fully prepared to have many dressing free salads til I get back. The part I'm really worried about is the drinking. I used to drink with my friends or my hubby on occasion and it's been a while since I've indulged. Last year everyone was drinking in the evenings, at the party, at the banquet. I'm trying to make up my mind if I will totally abstain. On one hand I've had a great MF week so far, and I feel like if I do well at this conference I'm going to have a great loss for the week. On the other hand I don't get to see my friends very often and it might be fun to have a drink with the girls.

I guess I'll have to make up my mind. I like to have a plan to stick to while I'm there.
I hate going away over night. I'm a big sissy and I miss my hubby like crazy and I worry about my kids. The last time I went away over night I literally called home and cried to my hubby because I missed him so much. At least this time I'll be rooming with my Best Friend.

Ok, enough rambling.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 6th, 2006, 9:01 am

You'll do GREAT! Just make the best choices you can! Just make up your mind! I travel CONSTANTLY and I tell you it's not hard to do MF on the road. I do use the RTD's, because they're so easy, but shakes, cookies, brownies and bars are too! You could come out of this trip in the 50# club, THINK ABOUT THAT!

As for the drinking...personally I just get diet coke with lime in a rocks glass, that way people don't say "DeDe's drinking water, not vodka?" That way they just don't ask! What you do is up to you. Personally, I'm not indulging at ANY of these holiday gatherings because getting to goal is WAY more important than anything on their plates...

Plus these gatherings are for the company (and this for the information), not the food! I'm just glad to see everyone!

You'll be great! Post from the road if you need us! Jumping down off my soapbox now!

DeDe
Last edited by dede4wd on December 6th, 2006, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dede4wd

Postby PJinCali » December 6th, 2006, 10:02 am

Welcome! :wave:

:goteam::goteam:
:goteam::goteam:

PJ
20#5-21 - 120# forecast 3-3
40#7-09 - 130# forecast 4-2
60#8-31 - 140# forecast 5-2
80#10-22- 150# forecast 6-2
100#12-30 – 160# forecast 7-2
110# forecast 1-29
PJinCali
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby casma500 » December 6th, 2006, 12:28 pm

WOW!!! You have done awesome!!!! Your pix are incredible too!

Sounds like you are trying to plan ahead for what you are going to do, and that alone is 90% of getting through those times, IMHO -- good job!!!!

Brownies???? where in the world are the MF brownies???? i have never heard of them, but they are my alltime fav "sweet"!!! is this something you make?? Guess I will do a search -- sounds yummy!!! :) you've got me going now.... :)
~ Be Yourself -- Everyone Else is Already Taken ~
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » December 6th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Welcome!! A couple of warnings on the drinking ... aside from the obvious (it's not on plan and adds a whole lot of empty calories to your day), there are a couple of other reasons to avoid it right now. First, most people find that they lose their resolve when drinking, and end up eating completely inappropriate foods, too. Second, it will dehydrate you, which can actually be dangerous when you're already in ketosis (which is dehydrating). Third, if none of that persuaded you, alcohol tends to affect people on Medifast much more than it does other people because you don't have much else in your system. You'll most likely find yourself getting a lot drunker a lot quicker than you're used to (and quite possibly a lot sicker the next day).

Of course it ends up being your personal choice, but it really, really isn't a good idea right now. You'll be much better off with a Diet Coke or something.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » December 6th, 2006, 8:06 pm

casma500 wrote:WOW!!! You have done awesome!!!! Your pix are incredible too!

Sounds like you are trying to plan ahead for what you are going to do, and that alone is 90% of getting through those times, IMHO -- good job!!!!

Brownies???? where in the world are the MF brownies???? i have never heard of them, but they are my alltime fav "sweet"!!! is this something you make?? Guess I will do a search -- sounds yummy!!! :) you've got me going now.... :)

I am a sick woman too because I was ALL OVER THE BROWNIE reference too! I was feeling so emotional reading the post then BAM!---where are the brownies???? Brownies!!!! Sick, sick people.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Elke » December 6th, 2006, 11:40 pm

WOW what a great post, thank you...I love that even newbies to the forum can inspire...girl you have inspired me. You have such a great insight to you, I'm still trying to find me.
Welcome to the group, you are going to be a great addition :)
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 6th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Elke wrote:WOW what a great post, thank you...I love that even newbies to the forum can inspire...girl you have inspired me. You have such a great insight to you, I'm still trying to find me.
Welcome to the group, you are going to be a great addition :)

You are so sweet to say that! This site is really what helps get me through the day. I really like to involve myself in the journeys of others-I guess because I am rather lonely. I don't feel so lonely when I am sharing so much. I can relate to others and not feel so fat, alone and crazy.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

OK, I won't do it!

Postby jlaman79 » December 7th, 2006, 2:46 am

You guys really helped me make up my mind. The last thing I want to do is get sloshed around my corporate execs and then deal with a hangover the next dy while sitting through all those long meetings. YUCK>

I have a hard time fighting off dehydration on a good day, so drinking alcohol is out. I'll treat myself to a Diet Coke and call it a day.

I'm so close to that 50# mark, I can almost taste it. It's a great incentive to be a "Good Girl".

As for the brownies :) It's a recipe using 3 packs of oatmeal 1 pack of choc. shake I'll find the entire recipe and post it for you when I get back. They don't taste like "real" brownies but they're not bad. Easy to carry with you.

I just perused the website of the hotel we're staying in and they have a fully equiped gym. I'm thinking I may bail on some of the partying and go work out. That will keep my mind off of home and my babies.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. I'll be checking in with you all again on Monday morning and let you know how it went.

Everyone have a great rest of the week and weekend!
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

I'm finally back

Postby jlaman79 » December 14th, 2006, 8:58 am

Well the conference was a success and I did really well with my food choices. I wasn't able to stick with the 5 and 1 because of the structured schedule, but I ate many salads, and stayed carb free with small portions. I was so proud of myself for not endulging in all the yummy foods.

I came home to two sick kids and I'm finally back at work today. I jumped right back into my 5 and 1 the minute I got home, but so far no weight loss for me, but getting through the holidays without any gains will be a great reward. This time of year is so hectic and crazy!

Here's a great uplifting moment for you. .... My VP of Personnel came up and introduced herslef to me and said, "You must be one of our newest employees. What's your name?"
I said "Shawnne, it's me Jennifer!" The look on her face was priceless! She said "Oh my God! I didn't even recognize you!" then she began to ask me about what I was doing to lose weight, and my head swelled to twice it's size. I had that reaction alot while I was gone, after all most of these people have not seen me in a full year. Everyone kept telling me how great I look, and I told many people about MF.

I can only imagine what they'll think next year when I'm at goal!
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Postby Karli » December 14th, 2006, 9:01 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D 8)

You are doing so well ! Good for your for sticking to healthy choices when away and then getting right back onto plan when getting home. This will definitely payoff and you will thank yourself for it.

I love how people didn't recognize you !!

Cheers,
Karli
Karli

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 14th, 2006, 12:11 pm

How awesome! Yay! You did GREAT! Sorry the little ones were sick, but you did so great!

BTW, for those that were asking...I believe there's a sticky of the brownie recipe in the Lean cuisine section!

DeDe
dede4wd

Next

Return to My Journal