JLaman79

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby jlaman79 » January 3rd, 2007, 8:18 am

I really appreciate all of your comments. Thanks for chiming in Mike, I agree with you totally. It's nice to see you and your wife doing this together. My hubby has decided to quit smoking and today is his third day. So, we kind of feel like we're doing something together too.

I checked out figleaves and fredericks and let me say my Visa is still smokin!!

I can say that I have been 100% compliant all week including this past weekend, so I geuss it does help to talk through it and make a plan. I've been weighing everyday to keep myself on track, and OH the UPs and Downs! Now I remember why I used to only weigh once a week! So, I don't count anything unless it's on my official weigh day.

If anyone has any experience with anxiety medication please give me some advice. I've always been too chicken to take anything but now that I'm working on my weight and self esteem and etc. I think it's time to get that in check too. It was recommended to me before by my doc but I wouldn't do it. Now I don't know any of the meds or the side effects. So jump in if you know about this stuff. Well, back to work for now.

Biki- you're the greatest Liz I've ever seen.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby bikipatra » January 3rd, 2007, 8:38 am

Awww, you're too sweet. I have bunches of experience with anxiety medications-mostly Ativan, Klonopin and Xanax, but have tried many more in my various trips to the nuthouse. Firstly, let me say they can be wonderful drugs in the treatment of anxiety disorders, panic attacks, mania and alcohol withdrawal. BUT before taking them you must take this information to heart. I am not saying anything about you as a person but about the nature of the body and benzodiazepines. Taken over a period of time, almost without exception, your body will need more and more of these medications to achieve the same effect. If you are taking them once a week or twice a month this should not be an issue. If you plan to take them on a near daily basis know that in all likelihood you will have to increase your dosage (under doctor supervision, I hope) to get the desired effect. That is why these are drugs of addiction, both physically and psychologically. Once the body has taken benzos for a period of time, usually just a few months, on a daily basis, it can be VERY dangerous to stop taking them abruptly. People have died from withdrawal from benzos. Benzos and alcohol are the most dangerous drugs to detox from-heroin gets all the press because the detox is ugly but it is not lethal. Overdoses are but detox isn't. I have been in the hospital with many, many benzo addicts. But that doesn't mean YOU have to become addicted. I hope your doctor will tell you everything I just did and that you get the help you need. Some docs (like mine) hand benzos out like M&M's and don't warn patients. You can also do your own research on the internet.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby jlaman79 » January 3rd, 2007, 9:17 am

Thanks for the info Biki, I'm going to look up some of those drug names and read about them. Maybe I can find a more natural way to alleviate some of the anxiety symptoms. I've had some really scary panic attacks that freaked me and the hubby out. It just seems to be getting worse the past few months. Part of it is because I know longer use food to cope, so the anxiety just builds and feeds on itself. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be considering it at all. I'm going to thoroughly investigate it and then have a long chat with the doc.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Postby bikipatra » January 3rd, 2007, 10:16 am

jlaman79 wrote:Thanks for the info Biki, I'm going to look up some of those drug names and read about them. Maybe I can find a more natural way to alleviate some of the anxiety symptoms. I've had some really scary panic attacks that freaked me and the hubby out. It just seems to be getting worse the past few months. Part of it is because I know longer use food to cope, so the anxiety just builds and feeds on itself. If it weren't for that I wouldn't be considering it at all. I'm going to thoroughly investigate it and then have a long chat with the doc.

That sounds very smart. My friend Tony has panic attacks and he keeps a prescription of Ativan to take only during those times and it hasn't been a problem. I take Klonopin and Ativan but only for certain symptoms at certain times. Because of different half-lives some benzos work faster than others and some are slower to take effect but work for longer.
Last edited by bikipatra on January 3rd, 2007, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » January 3rd, 2007, 10:18 am

bikipatra wrote:He isn't always a jerk, just most of the time. When he isn't buying me jewelry...or shoes...or perfume...

Just the important times I see.... ;) :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 3rd, 2007, 10:21 am

Mike wrote:
bikipatra wrote:He isn't always a jerk, just most of the time. When he isn't buying me jewelry...or shoes...or perfume...

Just the important times I see.... ;) :mrgreen:

Exactly! Oooops, I forgot one. He is not a jerk when he is paying for my Medifast orders!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby jlaman79 » January 3rd, 2007, 1:10 pm

Awwwww. I miss my hubby. Isn't that silly, I just saw him this morning! Well, he called me to say he was doing fine chewing his gum and he missed me and all that sweet stuff. I like being married.

I'm so so so so proud of him for giving up the cigs. He's been smoking for 10 years and he's still very young. (21)

Last night I almost messed up because we had our dinner together and he said he was going out for fresh air (used to be our after dinner smoke) and I looked for the cigs cause I was ready for one too! I'm so glad I didnt' slip up and say something, cause he's doing so well.

He smoked about 1 pack a day sometimes more. I smoked like 3 cigs a day, so I know if I still get a craving then he's going through He!!
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Postby Mike » January 4th, 2007, 12:07 am

Just remind him (and yourself) how many hazardous chemicals are in those nasty things. I know you wouldn't want to eat the stuff, so why inhale it? ;) :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby bikipatra » January 7th, 2007, 7:02 am

Where are you, missy? I have missed you! :cry:
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby jlaman79 » January 8th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Hello Everybody! Hi biki!

I'm still here just busier than usual. I also took some vacation days to get the house spic and span, well almost. LOL

Wed is my normal weigh in day though last week I weighed on Tues, so I'm hoping the scale will be kind to me this week. I've been weighing everyday for motivation and I'm ready to pick a day and go back to once a week. So, Wed it is.

I've been very very good. I'm proud of myself for being able to make a plan and follow through. Hubby is still hanging in there on the non-smoking front with only a few set backs. He went 3 days straight with 0, then caved on the 4th day, and he's been struggling to get started again. Today he's going to try to be completely smoke free all day. I'm so glad he's not giving up. I think quitting cigs is one of the hardest things people will ever do.

More later, for now I'm going to catch up with everyone else.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Postby jlaman79 » January 8th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Whew, I've been reading and thinking and reading and thinking. Recovery is such a strange process. I went to an AA meeting one time with a friend to support him, and I felt right at home. I started out with food as my entry drug then booze then pot and now I fooled myself into thinking that I was all better addiction-wise because I'm down to just food again. Wrong! The food one is the hardest and most unpredictable one to handle. My hubby was talking to me about the niccotine thing and we were comparing his journey to my weight loss journey, except there's one vital difference. His goal is to quit smoking, mine is to eat right. I can't completely just give up food.

Anyway, I've been good today and I'm trying to get caught up on my water, I'm running behind on that.

I just realized that i ate two bars yesterday. Why I'm only thinking of that now I don't know. Why didn't I realize that yesterday? I had a bar mid morning yesterday and then last night I realized that I still had one more supplement for the day and thought oooh, I'll have a bar.

I am always and forever a day late and a dollar short.

I'm still in ketosis so hopefully it won't hurt too much.

I rode my bike yesterday, not far- but I rode it. I also worked out with my personal trainer on my PS2 game. (that was an early Christmas present) I loved it. It was fun, I was sweating, and I was very proud to make it through the whole routine. It's called Kinetic made by Eye Toy for the PS2

Here are my meals for today:

hot cocoa (in my coffee)

choc. shake

choc. shake

lemon bar

L and G tonight ??? probably tuna with salad

1 more supplement

I've had only 32 oz. of water so far, but I'm working on the next 32.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Hi

Postby dede4wd » January 8th, 2007, 10:52 pm

Way to go getting on your bike!

Don't sweat the 2 bar thing! It'll be okay!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby jlaman79 » January 9th, 2007, 10:57 am

Yesterday was a 100% compliant day.

Today I have been very busy so far and this is the first chance to sit down and catch my breath. I have to eat my L and G out tonight so I am planning ahead of time.

today:

8:00 hot cocoa in coffee
11:00 choc shake
1:00 stew
3:00 van. shake
5:00 L and G (chicken breast on salad)
7-8 bar

Hubby is really struggling with the cigs, he keeps trying though, and I'm proud of him for that. I've begun to try and space my meals back out like I used to. For some reason I've been cramming them together in the early part of the day and that leaves too much open time in the evenings. I'm frustrated because I feel like I'm stuck, but I know from the past that I just have to keep going.

Why is it that I come out of one plateau and then after about 2-3 weeks I go right back into another? It's driving me crazy.

I do have alot more energy these past few days and I've wanted to exercise and I'm frustrated about that too, because I physically want to do it, feel like I need to do it, and yet there just aren't enough hours in the day. So, here's a question for all of you with jobs, husbands, and small children, When do you exercise? Does chasing my son count? How about the crazy high step I have to do to avoid stepping on kids who are constantly under foot? Do rubbing the hubby's sore shoulders count as exercise? Cooking, cleaning, folding clothes, filing, typing, emailing? Is any of this stuff burning calories? AAAAAAARRRRGH!

Whew, sorry. I geuss I needed to vent a little. I'm going to walk down to the convenience store in a few minutes and get a D. Coke. That's all the exercise I got yesterday as well. At least I got to work hard this morning and actually broke a sweat closing out files.

Ideas, I need Ideas!

The one thing I've started doing is dancing. I dance while I cook, I dance while I clean, I dance to the music on the hubby's PS2 games. TOO much ENERGY!

(Do I sound Manic today or what?)
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

Postby Taangrl21 » January 9th, 2007, 11:48 am

Why is it that I come out of one plateau and then after about 2-3 weeks I go right back into another? It's driving me crazy.

I wonder if plateauting, frustrating as it is, is a way of our body saying,"well I think I might like this weight" but then its OUR job to push again and say uhhhhh yeah, I am not done losing yet.So you trick your body maybe with switching up what time you eat what foods or different seasonings on food or changes in physical activities.Something to throw your body outta whack. And then maybe our body realizes "okay, I can keep going" and then loses more weight...I dont know if thats what they meant in the phrase "mind over matter".But in actuality our brain rules our body so if we think it we can do it...

I think everything you stated counts as exercise...especially with this program the key is movement. Yes it does burn calories. Lot's of sleep helps in burning calories too...my fave exercise of choice...JK LOL.
But running after a dog or a kid uhhh yeah, it definitly counts.

And you answered your own question...Mantic??? NO! Venting---yup thats the one. We all do that so well...I know I do. Hope you enjoy your walk and your diet coke. Keep up the good work!!! :)
Taangrl21
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby jlaman79 » January 9th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Thanks Taangrl21!

I have settled into a routine with my MF. I was eating almost the same thing at the same time everyday. Even my L and G's have gotten pretty boring. I did order some different stuff this time around and as I said before, I'm going to change my meal times a bit.

I am also at my "usual" weight right now. This is the size I have been for most of my adult life. I really want to push through this and move on.

Thanks again for the encouragement. It helps.
Start 285 05/24/06
Current 224
Goal 145???
jlaman79

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal