Italian Meatball Stew

Add your favorite recipes.

Italian Meatball Stew

Postby Mike » February 5th, 2007, 11:33 pm

Figured it was time I post a new recipe. I didn't measure everything exactly as I was just "throwing" something together last night for dinner, but this was tasty.

I started with a lb of ground beef. Added 1 package of crumbled Medifast Veggie crackers, 2 T dehydrated onion, and 1 egg. A little parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic, and of course, Grandma's chili powder. Mix it up and make into good "racquetball" sized balls. Braise the outside on low heat in a skillet (just kinda move them around until the outside is a little firm all around). Remove balls from skillet (carefully), and set them aside.

For the green: Simmer 1/2 C sliced mushroom, 1/4 C chopped onion, 1 C sliced zucchini (or other squash), 1.5 C chopped turnip, 2-12 oz cans stewed tomatoes (Italian style of course would be best). Cook on medium for about 10 minutes, then add the meatballs and cover with about 1/2 jar of your favorite low carb red pasta sauce. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.

This made about 6 meatballs and so we divided it into 3 servings. We actually ended up getting full with about 1 and a half meatballs, but it was very yummy.

Perhaps I will figure out the lean better next time to ensure Medi-properness.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby KeleeGrl » February 6th, 2007, 6:48 am

Mike - mmmmmm, that sounds really good, I made something similiar..your suppose to add cream to it and a cup of parm...which I do add some.

Take lb of mushrooms and saute them in pam and 2 cloves of minced garlic. When they are done take a lb of ground sirloin and cook until all pink is gone, add 1 can diced tomatoes and I add 1/2 cup of regular parm (the low fat has more calories and not much difference in fat) and it is delicious and you can get 4 meals out of it. Your suppose to add 1 cup of cream and put over pasta, but no can do!
Kelli
Re-re-restarted MF: 3/10/08

KeleeGrl
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Serendipity » February 6th, 2007, 7:06 am

Just a note to any newbies and strugglers out there:

Don't mess with my L&G like this if you want to be completely compliant. There's almost no way to measure accurately and the added cheese is scary.

I know, I know, I'm a party pooper.

Waiver:
Of course, as usual, this is just my very not so humble opinion. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby KeleeGrl » February 6th, 2007, 7:12 am

Okay, so don't put the cheese in and it should be totallly compliant for the L&G. I just know I get sick of a piece of meat and a salad or a cooked vegetable on the side. And instead of getting bored and going off plan, I want something cooked together and this seems to be a good choice for me....maybe not everyone else and I am sure not promoting anyone to go off plan.
Kelli
Re-re-restarted MF: 3/10/08

KeleeGrl
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » January 16th, 2008, 8:50 pm

bump for newbies
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine