Interview ~ Eating ~ AARGHH!!!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Interview ~ Eating ~ AARGHH!!!

Postby Arklahoma » June 16th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Most of you already know that I'm in the process of job interviewing. I have the interview for my dream job scheduled next week and I'm so excited. I've been working on this prospect for almost two months so I'm thrilled that we're finally moving on to the next point. Usually, the process goes like this ... phone interview, if they like you then you're asked back for another interview. Face-to-face interview, do well and then your invited back for another interview. In healthcare, this goes on for about five to six interviews. Because this job is in another location, and I have to travel for it, they are putting me through ALL the face-to-face interviews in one day (next Wednesday). Now comes the problem ...

I just received my hotel reservations and my site itinerary. It includes three meals (dinner, breakfast, and then lunch) with people that are interviewing me!!! As you know, I'm on the 6/0 plan and consume no real food at all so this makes me a little nervous. First of all, not eating is NOT an option. I'm not about to get embroiled in all the drama of "I can't eat but you go ahead". I'll be dining with surgeons at one meal, Director of Nursing at another, and the CNO (chief nursing officer - equiv of CEO) at the last.

I have been on the plan for 4 months and have eaten real food twice. Both times I was able to get right back on the plan and I did not suffer any gastric distress. However, both of these times were only one meal and they were pre-planned so I chose L/G options; whereas, here I have no idea what will be placed in front of me.

I'm kind of freaking out. Any tidbits or words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ascicles » June 16th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Personally, I would just try to eat as close to the L&G standards as possible...and get back on the plan fully the next day.

I'm sure others will disagree, but with the way interviews go, you don't want to do anything that looks "odd". It would overshadow your interview.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby electra000 » June 16th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Hey Ark, I agree with Manly. Stick as close to the lean and green as possible. Avoid carbs like the plague. I'm sure you will be eating slowly because you will be talking alot. Just try and stick to grilled seafood, or chicken and salad or steamed veggies. I would not have beef yet it might give you the runs. I'm not much help. Just get right back on track the next day! You are doing so great! Good luck with the interview. I'm sending positive vibes your way ! :lightbeam:
electra000
Preferred member

Postby SharonR » June 16th, 2006, 2:47 pm

I think the best you can do it stay away from starch and sugar.

And don't feel pressure when the dessert cart comes around. I have learned that it is ok to say, no thankyou. Or I'm fine, I don't need anything.

I have learned in the past few weeks to NOT say, I can't have that. Or I am on a diet, I can't eat that. It just opens doors to redicule and sometimes I don't want to deal with peoples opinions on wether or not this is a good diet! :D

Good luck, you will make the right choices, I know you will!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby SharonR » June 16th, 2006, 3:20 pm

WOW Vicky good advice!!! That would not be pretty!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 16th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I went through a similar interview process last year. One other thing I'd suggest is trying to sneak in a Medi-meal in between the real food (eat in the bathroom if you have to!). That way you won't be hungry when the real food is there, and you're more likely to control what you eat and take everyone else's suggestions.

I didn't want to call attention to the diet, either. But I did still do things like ask for sauce/dressing on the side and had the restaurant give me plain broccoli instead of rice/potatoes. I did it quietly and unobtrusively, and no one blinked an eye.

At one meal when there just wasn't much I could eat, someone did say something about how I wasn't eating very much. I just smiled and said they'd done nothing but feed me all day long, and I wasn't very hungry. (And after the meal, I scarfed down a bar in the bathroom.)

Good luck! And good luck on the interviews!!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby falisamarie » June 16th, 2006, 4:36 pm

I agree with the others here. This is your life and very important and you do not want to have the others focusing on anything but you and your ability to do your job.

I would definitley start with the real food now by doing the 5&1 and also stay away from carbs and you should be fine.

You know what will knock you out of ketosis and what won't so just do what you have to do to stay in ketosis.

Good luck and I know you will blow them away!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby JKSRN » June 16th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Ark, wishing you much success with your interviews. Knock 'em over! ;) Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Denise » June 16th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Ark ...don't panic...you are so level headed...I know you will make the right choices! Big Big Luck coming your way

:toast:

You can do it!
Denise
Denise
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » June 16th, 2006, 7:05 pm

All what I would have said! Shine for your abilities, not for the meal comings and goings.

I am sure there will be somesorts of healthy things. They are health care workers after all. At least, one would hope.

No rule says to finish the plate. No rule saying you cannot drink water with your meals. No rule saying that you have to eat dessert.

I like that idea of saying that you have been provided great foods all day and how great is has been.

You will do great :mrgreen:
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby alpha femme » June 16th, 2006, 7:40 pm

uhm, having just posted about the bad things that can happen to compliant butts when going off the full fast, i have to agree that you really, REALLY should go off full fast a day or two before your meetings.

it can be ugly.

:roll: :oops:
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby sheila » June 16th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Lots of luck, Ark! Knock their socks off! :-P I know you will do great. :thumbsup:
sheila
sheila
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » June 16th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Ark ~

Congrats on getting this far in the job process! I hope everything turns out great for you.

You have an interesting situation to say the least. With five days until the interview and the food experience, it really is not much time to gradually introduce food to prepare you for a 5 & 1 since you've been on the 6/0 for four months. If the idea of switching to the 5 & 1 appeals to you, then start now to avoid a blowout later.

You may not be ready for food yet. Four months into my program, I was not ready to transition to the 5 & 1.

If I were wearing your slippers, I probably would not care to go into any detail about my personal life. Like Manly indicates, I also would not want to give the appearance of weirdness to my prospective supervisors but I would not want to abandon my plan for one day either.

Something to consider would be to have tea and water at each 'meal time.' Most likely, the interview/meal will not last more than three hours so I would have my Medipacket during the 'down' time and most likely not in plain view of the interviewers. Yup, I've had many a RTD in the stall in the BR!

It might be easiest to pass by the breakfast meal by saying, "I usually don't eat much breakfast, I will just have coffee now. Thank you."

You could also consider having just plain oatmeal for breakfast, put no milk on it, and just eat a small portion of it. Push it around in the bowl. Mostly drink water and tea or coffee. I was at a business conference last month and I knew I would be wined and dined at dinnertime so I ordered a pot of tea and a serving of oatmeal for breakfast. I used Splenda and just did not bother to pour any of the half-and-half on my oatmeal. I ate about 1/3 of the serving and drank two pots of tea. No one noticed that I didn't put the half-and-half on my oatmeal.

If there is an entirely new interview crew at lunch, you could say, you aren't used to eating breakfast and since you had a breakfast meeting earlier, you'd prefer just a pot of tea for now. You will think of something, I'm sure.

Several times, I was in public interactions where I did not wish to go into any detail about my program and just looked the person/people in the eye and said, "No, thank you, I'm fasting today." or "I'm on a medical program right now and it is necessary that I pass this time. I will have a pot of herbal tea, that’s all. Thank you." I did not get any quizzing from the group.

At other times, I got the business - "Huh? Why aren't you eating? Don't you feel well?"

When I said, "No thank you, just not hungry right now. Maybe later." the ‘maybe later’ phrase took the pressure off and as the time went by, they got wrapped up in the conversation and since my hands were busy with the glass of water and the cup of tea, they saw me putting things to my mouth and they forgot I wasn't eating.

Sometimes you can read the crowd and decide if you want to go into details or not with them. Somehow, you have managed for 4 months to avoid grub, I'm sure you will be able to follow your heart here and make a great decision. They are health care providers; hopefully they are compassionate, empathetic individuals and will understand that sometimes people just do not want to eat.

Best wishes to you for successful interviews - we have all the confidence in the world in your abilities - you are an incredible person!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Nova » June 16th, 2006, 10:20 pm

You've already got wonderful advice. I just wanted to say Good Luck! :D
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 17th, 2006, 2:07 pm

I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their busy lives to post their suggestions. It's really helpful and I'm mulling over my options. ;)
Arklahoma

Next

Return to Weight Loss