How do you deal with skeptical family members?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

How do you deal with skeptical family members?

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 5:31 pm

Perhaps skeptical is too strong a word, but today for example I was at my mom's house and I brought a shake and a soup for myself. She immediately started asking things like "what do you do for vegetables on this diet?" and "what happens if you go out to a restaurant?" And of course the inevitable "what happens when you go back to real food, won't you just gain the weight back?"

I explained that the meal replacements are nutritionally balanced to provide me what I need for the day. I explained that if I did absolutely have to go to a restaurant (we're taking my sister out tomorrow) I would either take a soup packet and ask for hot water OR I could be flexible and have a salad with fish or chicken. I explained that there's a transition program to get to maintenance after you reach goal. However, I don't think she totally *got it*. She wanted to know how much sodium was in each supplement, how I cooked for my DH and children, etc. It just wasn't sinking in and I can just hear her telling her friends that I'm on this program and she just doesn't know about it. Actually, the more I read this the more I'm thinking she's a little envious that I'm starting a program and she's not! (She said she could never do this since she would still have to cook for my dad and it's so hard to cook for just one).

Anyway, you get the picture. Any tips? Of course the bottom line is I'm an adult and can do this if I want to. But...I like to fight ignorance with knowledge and reason....

Who are u????

Postby eddieHoustonTX » May 13th, 2005, 5:55 pm

Inquiring minds want to know who you are mystery person!!! :D Thanks for sharing
Edward Flinn
Houston, Texas USA
[/url]
eddieHoustonTX
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby dlr2424 » May 13th, 2005, 6:09 pm

......Awesome answers!!!!!!!...the funny thing is if you were placed on a medical diet due to Diabetes or other health issues people would be supportive .............. :hug: ..........and understanding.........as soon as weight is introduced to the picture some people, perhaps not always realizing it, begin to become judgemental..... :rollrolleyes: ......possibly envious ......... :huh: ........ deep down don't want someone else to succeed as they have not succeeded themselves......they are living in the world of mediocrity ........it takes a bigger person to remove themselves from the equation and be supportive to the person wishing to achieve their goals................BE STRONG!!!!! ............... :weightlift: ..........don't allow others to bring you down to their level.......... :no: ..............rise to the challenge....... :bouncie: ....and as far as gaining the weight back..........it is not the weight loss vehicle that we choose that determines whether we gain it back.........it is what we do with our eating habits once we have reached goal..........
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Susan.in.GA » May 13th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a mystery! Forgot to log in before posting!
Susan.in.GA

Postby armeewyf » May 13th, 2005, 8:30 pm

Susan--I feel your pain. Most everyone in my family is overweight, starting this diet and that one and falling off the wagon in a few weeks. I have one aunt that calls me every week or so to see if I am on MF STILL and have I lost any weight. She asks me the same questions about the program every time and asks how I plan not to gain the weight back. I wish she would just try it and see how easy this is. I think I am the only one that has any willpower. So, your question is how do I deal with them? I brag about the program and keep my willpower strong. I think it gives me the "I'll show you" attitude :lol: I don't mean it in a mean way--I think their constant questions and skepticism makes be stronger. Does that make sense? I've lost 20 lbs so far but when you have been heavy all your life, you know you have lost and gained that 20 over and over. When I have lost 40 is when I think they will be blown away...me? I am blown away already...I see bones in my face, neck and chest I haven't seen in a while and if you can get past the little pouch of flab (thats still baby weight) I think I see the beginning of my waist!! (sure wish I had taken measurements when I started!) Take care! Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Skeptics

Postby Jan » May 13th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Oh my goodness -- skeptics! Medifast is probably one of the most researched meal replacement programs in the world!! Johns Hopkins has our program and is researching it for the diabetes program right now! It looks like it is going to be more effective in weight loss than the ADA diet. People are always skeptical of things they don't understand and most likely many skeptics will find reasons it won't work for them but really don't want to take the time to understand the M.F. Program. All that is really important is that we know IT WORKS and our pounds off prove it. Many people see M.F a whole new way when they see us -- slim and trim :D :D
Jan
Preferred member

Postby LilMsTexas » May 14th, 2005, 4:23 am

Perfect response Donna............couldn't have said it better myself.

And I AM diabetic........and I LOVE to tell people right in the beginning that this program has given me freedom from ANY MEDICATION in just a couple of weeks!! MF is my diabetes medication now :D

And on this same note........family is coming in June. My Mom is a severe diabetic and is really overweight and doing nothing about either. She did medifast with me 16 years ago, but won't do it now. I have told both my parents that I will NOT be getting off my program when they are here for a week. They are completely supportive of that. I am hoping that I can prove to my mother once and for all that we don't ALWAYS have to use special events as an excuse to cheat--or not start at all.
Now I just have to figure out how to do it with 10 hour road trips and two nights in hotels and going to Niagra Falls :shock: But I decided that if my diabetes required me to have insulin or any other special needs I would make plans that would work....I would have to. So.......MF is my diabetes medication and I MUST make plans in order to remain healthy......simple as that!

And Donna and others are soooooooooooo right. It is never the "diet" that causes us to gain our weight back........it is what we do when we're done that matters. And skeptics.........who cares? I laugh inside at dumb people. We will ALL have the LAST LAUGH :lol:
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Walks262 » May 14th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Great answers, everyone!

With respect to the comment:
And of course the inevitable "what happens when you go back to real food, won't you just gain the weight back?
I am sure our transition heros could provide some insight, but I say: With MF I am breaking all my old habits -- and while I will go back to "real food" I will not go back to my old habits. I am developing new behaviors and new habits even while on MF. And, having enjoyed such sucess on MF, I can envision using MF in some way forever to help me maintain, celebrate and enjoy my weight loss.

Good luck, Susan.
Walks262

204.5/150/147, then, 142
Walks262
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » May 14th, 2005, 5:23 pm

I am quite sure that most of us on this forum have tired many ways to lose weight, have been succesful and then gained back when we fell back into our old destructive eating patterns.
Medifast will work fabulously for you and yes of course if you went back to eating like you did before this plan you would gain weight, but the
brilliance of the transitioning plan allows you to eat sensibly, healthfully and still keep the weight off.
Eventually even having a NO NO item once in a while but knowing how to handle food and that is a need for life BUT not a comfort is gained knowledge that you will use for the rest of your life to stay at a healthy weight.
Some people will always be sceptics, we can't change their minds, but we CAN change our outlook on food, change our bodies and our minds long term to be heakthier, happier and THINNER with Medifast.
Hang in there and don't let anyone sway you from your mission to get fit and fabulous!!
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Diet Diva » May 15th, 2005, 9:36 am

Hi there,

Yes, it can be difficult when family, friends, and co-workers, etc. don't understand what you're doing. There are always those that want to question your game plan. Just hang in there and know that you are making the smart choice for yourself. You're getting your weight and health under control and on track.
I actually started Medifast right before Christmas, and as a result missed out on the holiday meal. I had my lean-n-green instead. It was really hard for my mom to not take it personally that I made the choice to miss the prime rib and mashed potato and bread pudding dinner, but I explained that " My Medifast meal is a Christmas present to myself." I felt really good about sharing how important medifast was for me. Try to find support where you can. Hold fast and be strong. Remember we're your support team here.

Have a great day.

Diet Diva
Diet Diva
Trusted Member - #90 Club

Return to Weight Loss