History Repeating

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

History Repeating

Postby alpha femme » July 21st, 2006, 6:34 pm

i've noticed something alarming-- not just on this board but on others (as well as in "real life"). all of us here know how destructie the wrong food choices are. we know how addictive it is. we are all more aware of how horribly bad for us fast food is.

so why do people in the middle of losing weight keep giving their kids access to fast food? seriously. would we say, here's some bullets, go find a gun? i thought about this when i was reading the "supersize me" thread.

no doctor will ever tell you that eating at micky d's once in a while is "ok." they will usually tell you to avoid it at all costs. we choose to remove these hazards from our own diets, but then some of us allow our kids to continue to have it (however limitedly). a cheeseburger happy meal has 670 calories. that is astounding to me.

so why do you guy think some people who struggle with their own obesity don't wean their children off of fast food? i don't get it. if i ever get ms right to birth some babies for us, they will not know dinner comes from a window while mommy plays with the stereo.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby Prancer » July 21st, 2006, 8:01 pm

I had a huge reply written defending myself and what I do but this seems easier:

Before I became a mother I told myself a lot of things I would and wouldnt do as a mother....I wont give them a pacifier, I wont let them sleep in my bed as a baby, I will nurse them for as long as they want to, I will read to them every night, My kids wont watch tv, I will use the cry it out method...it goes on and on. Bottom line though....my kids had pacifiers, my kids slept in my bed with me, I couldnt nurse premature twins, I missed some nights reading.....etc

We arent perfect.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby SharonR » July 21st, 2006, 8:58 pm

Hmm that's interesting. I read that too and wondered the same thing csula. My daughter is only one, but I will tell you right now if I am not eating McDonalds neither is she.

I do think it's hard though for parents who have already set the trend of unhealthy eating. It has to be a gradual thing, or the kids will lose it! All fast food is geared towards kids, they suck them in young so they have them coming back late into life.

Being a parent is harder than I could have ever imagined but I will try my best to feed her healthy well balanced meals so that she one day won't be obese like I am.

Today in San Fran we saw so many "heavy" kids...breaks my heart. They are walking around with ice cream, candy, sodas ect. and they look miserable and uncomforable...so sad. I never want my daughter to feel that way.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby BoPeep1 » July 22nd, 2006, 2:47 am

It's all a personal choice.

My daughter eats McD's and Burger King. She also eats a ton of healty food and will tell you all of the benefits of exercise (and she's 4).

DH was joking yesterday that she's going to be a personal trainer.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Prancer » July 22nd, 2006, 6:40 am

There is a big movement in schools now to push kids to eat healthier. It opens avenues for discussion with children as well. There is a stinking Dunkin Donuts opening in our town within the next couple of weeks. My younger son wants to eat there every day. I told him no so he said once a week I said no he started to whine. So I explained that it is food that is really really bad for you and they accepted that.

My kids eat very healthy as often as I can make it possible. Jarod is 7 and Caleb&Emily are almost 6. They have never had soda of any kind, they dont eat candy, they only have juice on special occaisions. All 3 of very healthy active kids. I dont think I am doing that bad of a job.
Prancer

Postby JKSRN » July 22nd, 2006, 11:02 am

Ah, but Dunkin makes great coffee!!! :D By referring to it as "stinking", my guess is that it is not for you. To each their own. I do know that you must mean the donut part of Dunkin Donuts. Couldn't agree with you more on that!! ;)

My children are grown now. My regret is that I didn't encourage complete healthy living with occasional treats, way back when, for they would have had far more years of healthy eating added to their 'resume'. It was whatever they could prepare themselves, or what I could cook up in a hurry to feed them, my being a young widow with two children, one in diapers, working fulltime in nursing. It wasn't always healthy, but substantial. Plus, we didn't have the warnings about certain foods that we have now. Trans fats? Who knew?

However, I am grateful that both my children have learned the value and the health benefits of eating right and do so, now that they are young adults. As a result, my grandbaby is being carefully 'guided' even at his young toddler age.

Nowadays, almost everyone and everything today, encourages healthy eating, and is being brought to the forefront these days, in ads, on TV, in the media. We are certainly learning what is best for us. And, most of what we read and hear makes good sense. Whether we choose to follow those protocols is up to us.

I agree that it is good to start early with one's children to help them make healthy eating choices. And, I am quite aware that this can be difficult due to busy lifestyles. But, we are eating healthy now, and hopefully our kids can learn by our good example. And, hopefully, this will be carried on by them, once they leave the nest. My advice: don't waste years of not paying too much mind to what our kids are ingesting---start the good habits rolling now! Their futures and their health depend on it. Just my humble opinion.
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Prancer » July 22nd, 2006, 11:13 am

JKSRN wrote:Ah, but Dunkin makes great coffee!!! :D By referring to it as "stinking", my guess is that it is not for you. To each their own. I do know that you must mean the donut part of Dunkin Donuts. Couldn't agree with you more on that!! ;)

I mean the donuts. I dont drink coffee but many of my friends and family do and they love DD coffee. I just dont want the temptation there for my children. The only time they have donuts now is when we are travelling to my sister's she sometimes gets them for the kids but thats it.
Prancer

Postby JKSRN » July 22nd, 2006, 11:14 am

I totally agree, Jenn! I knew what you meant! :D
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby Janae » July 22nd, 2006, 11:26 am

I believe that the key in my life is balance. Later...in my After- life (maintenance)...if I choose to eat something decadent like a glorious dessert somewhere special....I know that I will need to balance that out with many. many on-plan meals so as not to gain weight nor harm my health.

I am not condoning less than healthy eating. I just believe that reality is that most of us will eat things that are too many calories, too much fat, too many carbs or sugar or fast food or fine, gourmet dining or whatever....at certain times...for the rest of our lives.

However...the difference is that these occasions become rare treats, rather than the daily menu...And that I do them with intention...intention to limit the portionbut to enjoy my treat and then intention to go right back to healthy eating.

As for children...and Jenn, isn't it great how those of us who have never had any can really help those of you who do??!!!!... ;) I believe that children so learn what they live...they learn what they see. So, our examples of healthy eating are most important. I believe the example of mommy shopping, cooking and eating healthy will last longer than any other foody memory.

And...I am not fighting for fast food...but it is true that there are some better choices than others there... It says something about America when you look at the whole "feeding" industry! I, for one need a Medi-Fast-Food restaurant...where I can drive through and get my shake already prepared just the way I like it!!!! Now wouldn't that be great if the menu had all the MF foods...I wonder what I'd pay for that convenience??? :)

Janae
Janae

Postby Dayna » July 22nd, 2006, 12:03 pm

Like Janae wrote, I think the key has to be balance. My hubby and I have talked about this a few times - for our kids, we'll need to make sure that the food pendulum is neither too far to the "food is comfort!" side, nor too far to the "food is evil!" side. In both those cases, it's the food that has control of the person. I want to find, for myself and for my kids, the middle ground where food is fuel, and sometimes it's okay to consider it a treat, but I'm not driven by either desire or fear.

I can totally see how parents would fall into a habit or routine of using fast food. When you're trying to run your kids in every direction, and take care of home, and in many cases working outside the home, as well, the convenience of Micky D's must seem like an oasis. I know even in my own life, when I was having to travel between four schools every day to teach, it was so much easier to drive through BK and eat on the run. I can't imagine throwing kids into that mix. One of the beauties of MF is that, for the first time, I actually have something more convenient than driving through for fast food. Imagine! Something easier, AND healthier! I hope that, when all the adolescent MF studies are finished and they start selling the FIT line again (they will do that, won't they?), we'll be able to spread the news all around, and parents will have a healthy, convenient alternative to a burger and fries.
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby TheShadow » July 24th, 2006, 8:42 am

There's a series on TV now called "Honey, we're killing the kids". I think that's appropriate, because setting your kids up for a lifetime of obesity and diabetes is not something that I think our kids will thank us for. It's easy for me to be sanctimonious as I have no kids! But seeing what my best friend's daughter has become because her mom is too busy or lazy to learn to cook is sad. She was a tiny, thin kid until she was about 5 or 6 and then all those cheeseburgers and french fries turned her into a chubby, clumsy, unhappy child. She's 10 now and she has always wanted to be a cheerleader. Unfortunately she can't do cartwheels or sustain strenuous physical activities for more than a few minutes. We take her cycling and things like that whenever we can. I just remember when we were little, we ran and ran and rode bikes and played ball games for hours on end. I think it's important to feed your kids the healthiest things you can. Why would people spend big bucks to buy the highest quality pet food for their dogs and then feed their kids unbalanced diets full of crap? Don't get me wrong, I love french fries, but I know the physical price I pay when I eat them. Okay so how did I get fat then??? Simple answer - Beer- that and eating infrequently with poor portion control. That and my love of bad carbs....pasta....bread....potatos.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jan » July 24th, 2006, 8:57 am

Our society is certainly different that when I was growing up in "the olden days :mrgreen: Actually I think it is partially our economy and livestyle We view "fast food" as an inexpensive meal. That's the way the TV portrays it. We're busy, it's fast and not nearly as expensive (we think) as going to a "sit down restaurant" as we used to call them.
I grew up in a working class family. It was a typical 50's - 60's family. My dad worked, my mom stayed home. We had one car and Daddy drove. Dinner was served by my mother at 4:30 every evening. She dished up our food and that's what we got. No raiding the refrigerator. Everything was "portion controlled". We didn't eat out -- it cost tooo much. Dad was Swedish by heritage and disliked casseroles, pasta, and pizza. He also didn't care for any kind of Mexican food. So we ate meat, veggies and yup potatoes every evening. We had dessert. Not a big portion...
As a result I didn't have a weight problem til I got out on my own. Off to the fast food and hmmmm no one there to dish up my meals for me... the portions got bigger and bigger!!!
I too wish I had said more to my children about healthy eating. I did watch their portions when they lived at home but now they are both grown and both have some pounds to lose. I think we need to view fast food as a once in a great while treat .. and not a way of feeding the family. Plus I now think about what I eat. If I'm going to spend my calories on ice cream -- (remember I'm on maintenance) it had better be goooood. I'm not using them for an oridinary treat. We all learn as we go and for you whose children are young -- you can start now and make a lifelong difference for them
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Sarya » July 24th, 2006, 9:01 am

One of the things that my parents are still mad about is that when I was growing up they let me have soda whenever I wanted. They let me eat mcdonald's more than just the occasional treat. My dad has said more than once that if he could do it over again he would have kept soda out of the house. The McD's thing would have been tough though as my aunt worked there while I was young so it was always around. And really, it's not just the McD's. It's the chips, the pizza, the candy, the cake..

My biggest downfall with weight was soda. Second to that was "treating" myself whenever I wanted. To the point where it wasn't a treat anymore. A treat is pizza once a month. A treat is a slice of cake at a special occasion. A treat isn't cake because my day went bad (oh yes it used to be though!)

Someday I hope to have a child or two. When/if that day comes I guess I'll have a better say about whether I'll give in or not, but as of right now: no sugary drinks as the norm. No mcD's unless we're on say, the highway heading across country or stuck in an airport with nothing better to choose from. I hope I will be able to treat my kids' bodies the same way I will treat my own (which will hopefully be in a healthy manner).

I'm guessing that if a child grows up eating and drinking alternatives they won't go insane with the temper tantrum if they can't have it. I could be wrong. Some day I'll know. :lol: But by the same token I can imagine how difficult it has to be to get a child not to think first of mcd or soda when they've already learned to enjoy those foods. It's hard for us!
Sarya

Postby Prancer » July 24th, 2006, 11:50 am

Sarya that is one reason I dont allow my kids to have soda. My oldest commonly wont drink anything other then water...you should see the looks we get when we go out and he orders water. At school they serve snack to the class and give each child a glass of juice. The tray always has one empty glass for him to get water with. He is 7 and has never even had a sip of soda. He knows it isnt good for him or his teeth. My twins are the same with never having soda but they will drink milk and juice on occaision. All 3 even have empty cups in their lunch boxes to get water from the fountain with.
Prancer

Postby jump4joy » July 24th, 2006, 12:58 pm

My growing up years (in the 60's and 70's) were very similar to Jan's. Very little access to fast food or junk food. I never developed a taste for soda. I loved candy and ice cream, but only had them occasionally. I never had a weight problem until I became an adult....especially after I had my babies. I've discouraged soda pop, and the few times I took my kids to a fast food place, I always ordered water or milk. My girls don't care for soda as a result.....and they are both of normal weight, my youngest being even a little too skinny (it's genetic). I cook healthy foods and have healthy snacks in the house....of course, I do have ice cream, and granola bars and fruit snacks in the cupboards, but they last a long time and don't get eaten up quickly. My weight problem was caused by having babies, and then giving in to my sweet-tooth too much (candy, ice cream, and buttered popcorn being my drug-of-choice). That will change forever, but I will have my favorite treats down the road in controlled moderation.

Joy
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Next

Return to What's Shakin'