As Day 1 winds down... (long history heh!)

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

As Day 1 winds down... (long history heh!)

Postby BerkshireGrl » October 16th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Hello everyone!

Before I introduce myself, I want to thank you all for your incredibly honest and supportive posts. I have been logged in all day reading them, learning as much as I could, and discovering peoples' histories, and how they are making Medifast work for them.

I'm sure that in the future I will be thanking you more personally for helping me get through this - my final weight loss.

I am 33 years old, single, live in western Massachusetts, in the beautiful Berkshires, where the leaves are just full of the most amazing colors right now... you can guess where my name comes from now ;)

I have struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. I had some difficult issues with food as a child, due to some unfortunate lessons ingrained by being raised to eat ALL my food at dinner regardless of liking it or not, under the count of a ticking timer, or face being force-fed the remainder. I have thoroughly forgiven those responsible for that, because I understand what drove them, and resentment never helps one get over injuries.

I was lucky before I hit ye ol' puberty that I was super skinny, but then... hormones got the best of me and I sprouted in all directions! I went from a size 10 to a 16 in high school, slimmed down to a 10 again in college from all the walking over the gigantic campus of UMass, but afterwards, before grad school, I earned my living by waitressing. Part of that was free or really cheap great-tasting food served by the restaurants I worked in. This wonder buffet combined with much less exercise did me in. The pounds piled on. I went into grad school a size 16/18 a year after graduating from college.

After grad school, I worked for a high-end Jewish caterer near Baltimore. Part of that was a very nice work environment - and, you guessed it, a free lunch. This was mostly very rich and wonderful foods, and hard to resist. Being a size 20, I didn't resist much! :roll:

Time passed... I moved back to my home state in 1999. I was now a size 20/22, and that was ENOUGH. No more fat! I joined Weight Watchers, weighing 208, and dieted for years, swinging back up and down, until on my 30th birthday in 2001, I had managed to lose 52 pounds, getting to 156, and a size 8. Wow. It was SWEET. I could not believe my thighs didn't rub together anymore. That was one of the best benefits, heh!

Then, what the heck happened? I had fallen in love with someone for the first time, and wow, the highs and lows of that relationship were intense. I discovered in time that I had fallen for someone who harbored a lot of fear and damage from an awful upbringing, and I almost lost myself trying to "save" them. This went on for three years, until we parted ways in the middle of, of course, a gigantic fight, in Feb. 2003, just after Valentine's Day. Ugh.

I wish I could say I sucked it up and was a mature strong woman, but I fell into a big depression. Before this relationship, I drank very rarely, maybe one or two at a party, but never alone. I was acutely aware that one side of my family had a history of alcoholism that had wreaked havoc with many lives, and caused death. I also didn't binge eat, or purge through throwing up. But I started to do all of this.

I look back and it's like seeing total insanity, outside of myself. I handled stress in the most awful ways; drinking a bottle of wine a night, eating an entire large pizza, then even adding a pint of ice cream, sometimes feeling so disgusting afterwards that I threw up, and ended up crying in grief next to the toilet. Boy. What a nightmare.

For the past few months, I have tried Weight Watchers again, but maybe due to my poor food choices, I was not consistently losing, and I was HUNGRY. I was being dumb and skipping meals, working my butt off at my job, "too busy" to eat lunch, then getting home feeling like I'd die from lack of food. Then I'd eat like mad to make up for starving during the day. Duh.

I was getting heavier, and heavier. I weighed 216, 8 pounds MORE than I had when I joined WW 5 years ago. I was getting desperate, and I mean really desperate. I looked into gastric bypass surgery, and saw that for my insurance to cover it, I'd need to weigh more like 250-265.

I am ashamed to admit I actually thought of overeating even MORE so I could get heavy enough to get this surgery, and finally not be ABLE to binge anymore.

Then I was researching my options some more. In a forum I regularly read, a man posted about his and his wife's success using HMR, a liquid diet, to lose hundreds of pounds. He cited the data that said WW had a 5% success rate (meaning 5% kept their weight loss off after 2 years hitting goal), while liquid diets had a 22% success rate. He also said studies indicated that LDs were more successful for the obese. That was me - I was obese. My BMI was 33, over the 30/obese line.

That was enough for me. I read all about HMR, Optifast, and Medifast. I decided Medifast sounded like the best route for me, because I liked that it was well-studied, high in protein, and had been used in the medical community for so long.

I did some deep thinking and jumped. I got my 1-month kit Friday. Today is the end of my first full day... and you know what? I feel FINE. I have had twinges of hunger, but they have been speedily fixed by eating every 3 hours. I have drunk over 10 cups of water so far. I am peeing like mad ;) but now I am on my way to my goal. The Dutch Chocolate shakes, the Chicken Noodle Soup and Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, the bars, are all so good! I was skeptical and thought hmmm, low-cal diet food full of protein powder is going to be gross. I am happy to say I can definitely see myself eating this and a Lean & Green dinner for the next 4 months.

I am going on a 3-day vacation to see friends in Maryland Oct. 29-31, and I am bringing my Medifast foods with me! Yeah! I'm going to a big Halloween party too, and I'm not going to be pigging out during it. Instead I'll just party party! :kool:

So tonight.... in parting... phew! thanks for reading my story... I am feeling saved, and serene, and I know I can do this. I know I will come up against hard times but I am ready. I am going to make it through this and come out the other side having learned why I did such harm to myself, and how to really take care of myself.

Good night all! Thanks again for your stories.
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 16th, 2004, 8:39 pm

Welcome Sarah! :wavie:

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful post!!! What a great writer you are! Great to have you here with us! Your story has some all too familiar parts to me. Your attitude is so like mine - when I got my box, I said "NOTHING is stopping me now!!!" You're gonna be so successful. We're the same height too. I started June 1, and have about 15 or so more to lose to reach my ultimate goal. Can't tell you how good I feel. I've never felt so good before. I am a meal skipper too - then ate all the wrong things. We're gonna be learning how to eat correctly together here. Delightful meeting you!

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby LongWay2go » October 17th, 2004, 7:09 am

Hi Sarah,

Welcome from a fellow Taxachusetts resident! Your story is incredible, and how generous of you to post such intimate details so that we can get to know and understand you.

I, too, looked into HMR a few years ago but ended up on the OptiFast plan. I did lose 90 pounds on OF but then (the whole LW2G story posted) and put back on 40 of it. I started MediFast 10 weeks ago and have lost 63 pounds! I am excited and at my lowest weight in over 10 years! I hope you'll stay strong. We're here to help! Please join us in the Roll Call forum with regular Sunday morning weigh-ins. It will help you stay strong and with the plan.

Looking forward to many more great posts from you, and a successful weight loss!

~Gerald aka Spidey
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby DutchChoc » October 17th, 2004, 8:02 am

Welcome, BerkshireGrl. You're in the right place with the right product with the right group of "friends" here. Posting and reading here works well to help others AND to remind yourself why you're doing without some of the stuff you like -- well, I'll admit it, MOST of the stuff you like, lol.

The thought of eating to a timer is gruesome; so sorry you had to live that way, and the force-feeding, too. Hard for me to imagine how or why anyone would ever do that to a child. You've obviously had a "career" of difficulty and adversity similar to many of us here; you'll find a lot of compassion and understanding here, as well.

So, jump on the train to Thinsville and don't get off until you reach your destination. It's more possible than you might think. I once in HS did WW rather successfully, going from 185 to 145, but in recent years, I never managed to even lose my initial 10%. This is easier for me, as I have actually no deliberations/choices now on shakes only, save which flavor.

Take care.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Thank you!

Postby BerkshireGrl » October 17th, 2004, 9:17 am

Thank you all for your very warm welcomes. :D

I am so glad I found this place, and Medifast. It's amazing how much kind and strong support is here... I hope I can help you all like you are helping me!

Well, I'm off to go help move my grandmother's heavy furniture and boxes into assisted living... :weightlift: Me and my dad get to be the strongmen today, heh! My poor grandmother has just come back from Texas after a week down there with my parents, getting all her stuff in order for a move back up North. And now she has a bad case of bronchitis. Fun fun... @#$%&!

Hope you all have a good day out there in MF land! See you soon!
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Hi Berkshire Girl

Postby Kim » October 17th, 2004, 10:52 am

Hi,

I am new to MF as well, today is day 16. For the most part it is going well. I wanted to say that I can understand your problems with WW. I attempted WW several times and did not lose weight. And I really did not like the classes, public weigh ins etc. I have probably "lurked" more than post in this forum but this group seems to be very supportive and willing to do this with us all. Welcome!!
2/25/05 Start Date
170/165/125 (by 6/1/05)
5'3"
Kim

Postby Nancy » October 21st, 2004, 12:21 am

A happy and :heart: hearty :heart: welcome to you BerkshireGirl!

I am really glad that you shared your background with us. It is good so we can get to know you and there are many of us that can identify with some of your experiences, too.

We are excited for your super start and know that you will be able to encourage others, too while finding the support and the help you need in your journey to health and an appropriate weight. You are blessed to find us while you are young and can make changes that will affect your health and life in such positive ways.

Glad you are a part of the family! :stroll:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Hi Berkshire Girl!

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » October 21st, 2004, 7:35 am

:D Looks as if we started MF within a few days of one another.
I am sorry for all that you went through with eating as a child.
You have made a great start here ,and as we were newbies virtually together,I will keep cheering you on as well as I do myself :D
Look forward to hearing more from you!
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Welcome - It Works - Tastes Good -

Postby NE gal in South » October 22nd, 2004, 12:06 pm

travels well and the success rate is phenominal when you stick to it. Stay focused for 1 week and SHAKIN becomes a new easy life style. I love the Chicken Wild Rice Soup for lunch, Orange Pineapple shakes for breakfast and Rootbeer floats (Diet Rootbeer & Fr. Vanilla Shake) for 9 pm treat.

Success to you!!!
cmc
NE gal in South

Return to Come on in.