Hey From Texas, Y'All!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hey From Texas, Y'All!

Postby BiggerInTexas » March 29th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Hello from Texas, everyone!

I just placed my first order with MediFast. I may not be any lighter yet, but my wallet is already losing inches! :mrgreen: Just kidding! I know $300 is WAY less than I spend supporting the fast food industry and HEB grocery every month!

I've totally enjoyed reading all of yall's postings about your successes and your backslides and the changes you all have gone through. I definitely don't feel alone now! Thank you for being so brave to share your struggles! And thank you for being here to make me accountable! I think that's a big reason I've failed before - no accountability. Nancy, you are THE BOMB!!! I aspire to be you!! :bow: 100 lbs in 7 months. May it be so!!!

The day the food arrives next week, I will take you all's advice and sort out packets into baggies by day, so I can just grab a baggy every morning. The very next morning, I START! I am so nervous! I'm so worried that I'll fail AGAIN. I was in good shape until about 22, and then I ballooned from 115 to 175. I lost about 30 on Adkins, then around 30 I swelled to my current weight of 230 at 35 yrs old. 230! :shock: How did I let that happen? Can I really get it off? If I do, can I keep it off?

Wierdly enough, though, there's a deeply annoying part of me that seems scared to suceed! :dohdoh: I've wondered why, and I think I'm afraid of the responsibility that comes with making such a huge life-style change. It'll never be easy for me to be thin. I'll always have to monitor my weight. My relationship with food will always be a struggle. I eat when I'm hungry and when I'm bored and when when I'm worried, and I'm scared that the urge to turn to food will never go away. *sigh* I've read books about folks going through drug addictions and they say the yearning never really dies, it gets easier but it's always waiting for a chance to come back. Food addiction must be similar in some ways, not as immediately destructive, but as surely over time to our bodies and our health and our relationships with others.

I have a more practical question I was wondering if ya'll could help me with. I work 8-4:30 M-F, but I also work 11pm-7am Friday night into Saturday morning, and 11pm Saturday night to 7am Sunday morning. I plan to eat at 7:30am, 10:am, noon, 2pm, 4pm and 6:30. But on Fridays I sleep from 5:30pm until 9:30pm, then go to work. I sleep from 8am until 2pm or 3pm. How should I make sure I am getting in all my meals? Those night shifts are really boring, too. It's going to be hard not to obsess about food during those hours.

My biggest obstacles are actually going to be drinks, though. I LOVE Coke and sweet tea and frozen strawberry margaritas and Mexican martinis. :guzzle: Summer in Texas is going to be LONG with no margaritas! And we in the south drink SWEET TEA!!! You can get it at every fast food drive through window and we always have it at home. I am not a fan of water and when I've tried to get off the tea and coke before (on the Adkins) I found myself just not drinking at all rather than force myself to drink water. :water: Then I'd get headaches. Ya'll be praying for me that I can overcome tea!

Thank you all again for being my inspiration. My goal is to get to 150 by Thanksgiving. I just can't wait to get started!!

Love from Texas
Stacey
BiggerInTexas
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mike » March 29th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Hi Stacey and welcome. :goteam: :wave:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » March 29th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Hi Stacey. I'm not sure where I read this, but it does make sense to me: When you have a crazy work and sleep schedule, just make sure you have a supplement every 3 hours while you are awake. You may end up having more supplements if you sleep less, but being awake more, you body will need the extra food. I would just have 1 l&g in a 24 hour period, though.

Good luck! Your Texas accent comes through in your post....very cute. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Guest » March 29th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Hi to you too, Mike! And thanks for the advice, Serendipity! That'll be an easy rule of thumb to follow. I appreciate it! :D

Postby bdg » March 29th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Stacey,

Welcome to the board from a fellow Texan. I am in Midland, but frequently visit the San Antonio, New Braunfels and San Marcos areas. You should be proud of yourself for making the right choice and joining the community and beginning your weight loss with this program. I wish you luck and know that you will be successful. Before long you will have to change your nickname to smaller in Texas, but it will be so worth it!

Congrats and good luck! Keep coming around to get support here!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby katieb920 » March 29th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Stacey,

Welcome aboard. You are going to love this program. Do not worry about those really sweet drinks. Your taste buds are going to change so much that those drinks are going to be way to sweet.

Katie
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby nickieluv » March 29th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Katie's got a good point. I too could not stand water once upon a time, but now it's rare that I'll have a soda, or even a Crystal Light. Sweet things will overpower your tongue before too long. Good luck!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby JonnaD » March 29th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Hi, Hon. I'm from Texas, too and I understand about the tea. We are weaned from the bottle to sweet iced tea. You don't have to give up the tea, Splenda works great. Also, you might want to brew your tea with some of the fruity teas, I mix regular tea and mango. Add a little Splenda and I'm in tea heaven. Though since I've upped my water, I don't drink nearly as much.

What has been said about the water is also true. I thought I was doing great when I worked up to the minimum recommended amount of 64 ounces. Now I feel parched if I'm not drinking twice that much in the day. To make sure I was drinking enough, I chose to use bottled water. I put the bottles in the fridge the night before. The next day after I empty all the bottles, I refill them and stick them back in the fridge. Repeat. :lol:

A soda you might want to consider is Diet Rite. No sodium, no sugar (uses Splenda) and no caffeine. Tastes good, my grandkids really like it. :guzzle:

What part of Texas are you from? I'm just north of Houston in Conroe.

Hope you do well on the MF plan. Take full advantage of this forum, we are here to help each other. :D
Jonna
Working on learning patience - I want to be thin and I want it NOW!
JonnaD

Postby missykalo » March 29th, 2007, 8:43 pm

welcome !!
missykalo
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby pinkbugs471 » March 30th, 2007, 3:08 am

howdy!! nice to meet you. :mrgreen:
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

231/168/140
pinkbugs471

Postby bikipatra » March 30th, 2007, 5:04 am

Howdy from me too. I am a native Texian going through through the torture of living in DC. Yes, I did say TEXIAN. (Cultural pride as a descendant of those living on Moses and Stephen's Austin's land grant before the republic was formed.)
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Welcome, Miss Texas!

Postby Seaside » March 30th, 2007, 5:58 am

Spending 300 bucks is highly motivating! I am from SC, and we also love our sweet tea, guess it's a good thing I am in Florida now where good tea is a rarity and the temptation isn't as great.

You can do it! With your crazy schedule you need to be as healthy as possible.

Welcome to the group!
Seaside

Postby Tawanda » March 30th, 2007, 6:43 am

Welcome! My only suggestion for the water is to always have it with you and make a consciencous effort to drink it, pretty soon it will change from 'I have to drink this' to 'I need more, the jug is empty' (or at least it worked that way for me). I wish you every success in your MF program.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Re: Hey From Texas, Y'All!

Postby DonicaB » March 30th, 2007, 8:13 am

BiggerInTexas wrote:
I am so nervous! I'm so worried that I'll fail AGAIN.

Wierdly enough, though, there's a deeply annoying part of me that seems scared to suceed! :dohdoh:

Welcome Stacey!!! I completely understand being nervous. I have felt that way every time I have tried to lose weight. I would always say.....This time I am not going to fail........and then I would FAIL!!!! This time I have had a much different outlook about what I am doing. I have had to ask myself time and time again....."What is it that you really want?" The answer to that is easy. I really want to be thin. The only way I can accomplish that is to stay compliant. I really believe it is a decision......we have to decided daily, even hourly sometimes that we are going to stay compliant.

It's funny that you mentioned being scared to succeed. I have also had those same feelings. I've never really understood why. :question: All of the maintainers here sure seem to enjoy being thin so I don't know why I fear success. Maybe it's more of a fear that we won't stay there.

I have learned a great deal from the folks here on this forum. I count on them for support and encouragement. I think you will love it here.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby BiggerInTexas » March 30th, 2007, 11:27 am

Hello everyone!

Thank you all so much for all your suggestions and encouragement! You all are such an amazing group and I can't wait to get to know you better! I'm so lucky to have found this forum. I think you are the missing link to success - Support and Accountability!! :stroll:

A special hello to all of ya'll from God's Country! Have you been seein the bluebonnets come up along the highways? They're beautiful! I think we're in the last gasp of cool before we start the months of bakin that are every Texian's priviledge! My husband and I live in Austin, the Live Music Capital and the home of the Horns, ya'll! :D

I read one of bdg's earlier replies to another newbie suggesting that while waiting for the first round of goodies, it's a good idea to start cutting back on the carbs, so I've started that today. (Bdg, you are truly a MF MASTER! :thumbsup: ) It's 1pm now, and I've gotten two and a half bottles of water down. I LOVE WATER! (I'm lying.) I think I'm drowning from the inside out. *gasp* *choke* *gurgle* I'm actually sloshing inside as I walk around the office.

JonnaD, thanks so much for the tea advice! I'm headin to HEB after work and going straight to the tea and splenda ailes! That could be my salvation! It's ok to have Splenda, then? I can't wait for my tastebuds to change, like several of ya'll mentioned. You give me hope!

A question for the girlfriends: As you all have lost weight, have you noticed any melon shrinkage? :oops: I've had back trouble, so my doc sent me to a bone doc, who is sending me to a plastic surgeon. Aack! Permanent twin removal! :shock: I'd love to see the girls back to their former perkiness - which will never happen without medical intervention or an act of God - but it just looks so painful. If I could lose a cup size (or four) just from dieting, that might be the way to go!

Ya'll have a great weekend! And thank you again for making me feel so welcome! You're wonderful!

Love from Texas,
Stacey
BiggerInTexas
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Next

Return to Come on in.