Having a hard time getting in all the supplements

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Having a hard time getting in all the supplements

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 1st, 2005, 7:57 am

Since startign MF, it has been maybe once or twice that I have actually gotten all 5 supplements in along with the lean/green meal. Most of the time I am at 4 supps. and occasionally on busy days, I have only gotten in 3 supps. My weightloss was very good the first two weeks (17.5), but my 3rd week I only saw a 1-1/2 pound loss. I'm not ever hungry, and that makes me think I am still in ketosis, but I have no idea if I am realy am or not.

I have read over and over that you have to get in all 5 supplements, but I am having a really hard time achieving that, mainly because I am not up that many hours in a day. My first shake is between 7:30 and 8:00 am, and if I spread things out every three hours, I need to stay up untill 11:00pm just to slurp another shake. I'm in bed by 10:00 at the latest most nights. The rest of my schedule is as follows:
2nd supp: 10:30-11:00
3rd supp: 1:30-2:00
lean/green 5:00-5:30 (because of travel time from work and getting my family fed)
4th supp: 8:30pm

I've tried having a supp at 4:30, but then cooking dinner means no meal for me until 7:30, and then I still have the issue of getting in the 5th at 10:30 (past my bedtime).

Any suggestions on adjusting my schedule to get them all in...?

thanks

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby raederle » February 1st, 2005, 8:30 am

Hi Maura! It *is* very important to get all 5 supps in, cuz otherwise you're having so few calories that your bod reacts by shutting down your metabolism. It figures, "Well, since this crazy Maura is only giving me 500 cals a day, I'll show her! I'll use only 300 of 'em! Ha!" So that probably explains your smaller loss this week.

If you like the way your schedule works now throughout the day, why don't you just have your last supp at 9:30 or 10, just as you're going to bed? The three-hour spacing is a guideline, not a strict rule, I'd think, so even if you end up going only 1.5 or 2 hours between your 8:30 supp and tour last of the day, I don't think it's a big deal.

Nancy has said that there is definitely no problem with having a supp right before bedtime (though this is a no-no on other diets for reasons that don't apply to MF). I often have a cup of cocoa right before bed because it's nice and warming but doesn't feel like a heavy meal. The downside (especially if you do as you should and slurp a cup of water with the cocoa) is that you're likely to have to get up and go to the loo in the middle of the night, but I figure better that than not have the supp and lose more slowly...

Maybe this would work for you?

Cheers,
Rae
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 1st, 2005, 8:33 am

Nancy has suggested elsewhere that instead of three hours, trying having your supplements spaced a little bit closer together -- maybe every two and three-quarters hours, or whatever works for you.

She threatened to come and hurt me if I skipped even ONE of my supplements, so watch your back once she finds this thread. ;)
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 1st, 2005, 8:47 am

Thanks Rae for the info.....and 24K thanks for the warning..... :shock:

Kind of funny eating is what got me here, and now I'm not hungry and can't even eat 800 calories! go figure..... :roll:

Maura
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby monkeymom » February 1st, 2005, 9:11 am

Ah, but isn't it great Maura to have to actually plan to eat? I think having to get into the habit of eating small amounts frequently is one of the best things about MF, because of course we all know that's better for us no matter what kind of diet we are on.

Vicki
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bk » February 1st, 2005, 9:49 am

definitely space them closer, there's nothing wrong with that.

remember, you don't actually have to be *hungry* when it's time for your MF supplement.

i would personally squeeze an extra one in during the day, instead of having one at night. not for any particular reason, but i seem more willing to fool with everything during daylight hours!
bk

Postby churchie » February 1st, 2005, 10:19 am

Hey Maura,

I got that book Success in a Shaker Jar and it says you can have one right before bedtime unlike other "diets"

Also I have had them 2-2.5 hours apart to make sure I get them all in and also it says you can double up if you need to, just try not to make a habit out of it.

I have done this along with the 8 glasses of water and use celery stalks too in my salad with the 5 and 1 and so far 40 pounds in 8 weeks as I shared in another post. I figure, hey, if I just do the way it says, get in all 5 supplements and drink the water and have the meal sooner or later it will all come out in the wash. Some weeks will be slower I am sure, if I trust the process and the results of all the others that did this before me, it will work.

It works if you work it........that is my motto.

Hope this helps, there were a lot of informative and good posts to your question here and it helped me too.

I too struggle some days with not getting all the shakes down, I just do it like Nike says.......lol :-P

Good Luck Maura I know you can do it!
gail
churchie
Newbie - #40 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 1st, 2005, 12:36 pm

Thanks Churchie-
I was worried about spacing the supps closer together, but hearing that it worked for others, I will probably go 2-1/2 hours and see if that works itself out.

I am so impressed with your weightloss. I had visions of losing that much in as much time. I hope I am as successful as you. :D

If you don't mind my asking, do you have much more to go? I have an extremely long way to go, so that is why I am asking. Just trying to do a little comparison....

thanks again for all the help!

Maura
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby cplantho » February 1st, 2005, 1:36 pm

I see that you've already gotten loads of good advice already. Let me just say that I'm in a similar situation. I've been spacing about every 2 hours or so and I haven't had any problems yet. I think making sure you get everything in is more important than the spacing, as long as it is fairly regular.
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

response to Maura

Postby churchie » February 2nd, 2005, 6:53 am

Hello there Maura,

Glad you are going to try spacing the packets.......sounds good! I would love to hear how it goes for you, please post if you can.

No, I do not mind you asking. When I started Medifast, I wanted a certain number of pounds off, we shall see. After losing the 50 it would take 68 more to reach that original goal. My belief is this. I am not the number on my scale, it depends on how I feel, look, etc

I have a lot of muscle from years before of weight training, being in the military, etc. I have had a baby and lost one over 5 months pregnant not that long ago. My body has changed. I want to be healthy. I have been a higher number on the scale and been in size 7 or 8 which is too small for my body structure which is large boned and 5 7"

For me, I go by body fat. My belief and this is me women are supposed to be 18-25% body fat. 18 of course being atheletic. I was that once. That is NOT my goal today. Today it is fit, not perfect.

I imagined the number from previous experience, however, my body has changed so we shall see. I am with you, I see you too have put over 100 pounds as a goal. Glad to see I am not alone. I am very excited it is materializing. Again, I know maintenance is the key and when a lot more work begins. Keeping it off and changing my lifestyle, etc is vital.

Thank you for your support Maura, I will keep you in my thoughts and send lots of support your way too. Have a wonderful day.

Gail :D
gail
churchie
Newbie - #40 Club

ps Maura

Postby churchie » February 2nd, 2005, 7:10 am

This is gail again, I just thought of something that works for me and I work hard at not doing. That is focusing on the numbers. Yes, I need to know Medifast is working i.e. the money I spend on the packets, the extra visits to the doctor now with copay for insurance, the vitamins etc If the plan does not work, then I would not work so hard and would eat "real" food at least 3 x's daily, etc would not put myself through such a rigid plan. I find it easier with Medifast and to my surprise once I was past the first 3 days felt decent, and after 3 weeks it really started to flow. I have heard it takes 28 days to break a habit, that is why rehab's are that long......lol

Once I was assured Medifast works, I just trust the process now and only get weighed once per month by my doctor. I can tell by my clothes. If I were to weigh often or watch every pound I would go insane or get obsessed and stressed. Being stressed does not help with weight loss.

I know that as long as I follow this plan the way others have before me I have nothing to lose but weight and gain health. If it were to stop working my body would tell me. THe human body is an awesome and incredible machine. That is my belief.

I just wanted to share that with you for myself too. I could get really into this numbers game and how many pounds, etc I know though for me that gets me into the wrong mindset. This is a lifestyle plan and medifast is my meal plan and my emotional and spiritual must all be balanced. I believe food is an addiction and it is 3 fold. Spiritual, emotional and physical and obesity kills. A lot of deaths and illness come from it and also anorexia. I have seen a lot regarding this subject. I feel blessed to have another chance and to possibly get healthier again. It is tough at times, I try my best to stay in today and not project the future. If I were to say for instance, I will be on this the rest of my life I would eat today! :shock:
I am doing this little by little moment by moment shake by shake prayer by prayer............
Some days are better than others just like life, it is filled with ebbs and flows.

I need all the support I can get. I look forward to all the posts. I try to view a couple of times per week and also call Dr Anderson number on WEdnesdays which is tonight.

Talk to you soon.............keep up the good work, thank you for listening to me ramble on.

gail :oops:

pss a acquaintenance friend of mine asked me last night, how much have you lost.......my GOD you look different your face looks so thin. I had not seen her since a Halloween party we all went to. It was nice to have someone notice and several others have as well. However, I try to keep focused on the goal of health. It is a BIG deal when someone loses that much weight...........50 pounds is a lot and over 100 is unreal. I have done it before and kept it off for years. I do not look like the same person when I am thin. That too is a whole other adjustment. Hope I can experience it again. I think Nancy's website says nothing tastes as good as thin...........I agree.
gail
churchie
Newbie - #40 Club

Postby cplantho » February 2nd, 2005, 10:37 am

Churchie, I had the biggest smile on my face reading about your compliments. :mrgreen: I have lost alot of weight before and remember how that feels. I'm sure I'll be feeling it again soon. I really agree with you about judging how you feel and being fit as a goal. I do MF through a clinic and was assessed by an exercise physiologist. According to her analysis, by maintaining most of the muscle mass I already have, I can weigh as high as 199 and still only have 23% body fat, which is perfectly healthy. And I'm only 5'4". I was shocked to say the least. Those stupid "ideal weight" charts say I should be no more than 145. :shock: That's a FIFTY POUND difference. No wonder I had so much trouble getting below 175 before. Oh well, now I know.
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 2nd, 2005, 10:52 am

Thanks for the info Churchie, you are right about being stuck on the "numbers". I am a slave to the scale, and have vowed that I am only going to weigh once a week now. I don't get off plan by weighing everyday, but it is discouraging to say the least. I can't wait to get off this dang plateau!!

I think I have figured out my schedule. Today I had my first shake at 7:00 instead of 8:00. I just had it before my shower, and then I had my 2nd at 9:30. I will have my soup at 12:30 and a bar or shake at 3:30, dinner at 6-6:30 and the final at 9-9:30. That should work well for me.

Thank you for sharing your weight loss goals. I agree with you on not setting a particular weight goal. You may have noticed that my goal is kind of high for my height. I just figured its all gonna depend on how I feel and how comfortable I am in my skin. I'll re-assess that goal when I get to that weight.

congrats on the friend noticing the change in your bod. It is always so refreshing when someone notices and takes the time to acknowledge our accomplishments. Weigh to go!!!!

Maura
itsgonnaworkthistime

reply to Christy

Postby churchie » February 2nd, 2005, 1:46 pm

Hey there Christy
It is refreshing to see your post and that "ideal" weight chart.......lol

I am glad you are doing it healthy too. It feels good to have understanding and know I am not alone.

I cannot wait to hear how you are doing and please post. I smiled a lot when I read your post.
Have a wonderful Wednesday. :D
gail
churchie
Newbie - #40 Club

reply to maura on wed

Postby churchie » February 2nd, 2005, 1:50 pm

Hey there Maura,
I am glad to hear you are doing your new schedule today with your meal plan..........sounds gr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,eat, I just know you are already a success and those "pounds" will come. Glad to hear you are going to not be a slave to the scale anymore. Good luck it is a tough one.

I found myself after finding out the awesome 40 pound weight loss calculating how much longer to goal weight and then I realized how silly I was getting. I am letting myself know ahead of time about plateaus, changes in body those last 10 pounds. That way I do not get too discouraged. It is human nature to want the results. I also know inches come and pounds too and not necessarily together. :D

Keep posting please would love to hear how your new schedule it working, how you are feeling and about your new goal of once a week weigh in.

You are a winner today! All of us are. This is not an easy task, however, well worth it!

Keep on shakin as they say................ 8)
blessings
gail
gail
churchie
Newbie - #40 Club

Return to Come on in.