Hair Loss- When to Worry?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Hair Loss- When to Worry?

Postby VTGirlie » August 30th, 2006, 9:28 am

Hi all!

So, lately I've been noticing a serious increase in the amount of "shedding" my hair is doing. My hair is naturally thick and I have quite a lot of it, so I've always been one to leave a hair trail about. But lately (especially after conditioning) I notice that instead of a few strands it is more like many strands. I wouldn't say clumps, and I'm not sure I notice the difference, but after what I've read on here it is concerning.

At what point do I do something about this before it is out of control?

Sorry to repeat threads here- I did a search and couldn't easily find one on hair loss.

Thanks!

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Amber » August 30th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Hey Bets,
Maybe pm Serendipity or Supermom... I believe they had a thread going about this issue. I have started taking Biotin, as suggested in the Quick Start Guide. Not noticing hair loss yet; don't know if I should be taking it as a precautionary measure, figured it wouldn't hurt.
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby supermom » August 30th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Start NOW!!! Not everyone has hair loss, but many do. You are already noticing an increase in your shedding, so go ahead and get to work on preserving it. I take Biotin. I buy it at WalMart. The brand is Rexall. It is a 5mg capsule. I also use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner a couple of times a week. Any reputable beauty supply will be able to help you with that purchase. Tell them what you are wanting the Nioxin for, and they will direct you to the proper formula. Also, you might want to consider taking Vitamin E capsules, and an Omega 3 Fatty Acid capsule. Flaxseed oil capsules are supposed to be good for the hair, skin and nails. They CERTAINLY help keep the digestive system "regular". That is why I don't take it. It keeps me a little too regular, if you know what I mean. Serendipity has recently started the Nioxin. You might ask her what she thinks about it!! Good Luck!!
supermom

Postby VictoriousNat » September 1st, 2006, 8:02 am

Ladies,

What is the recommended dosage of biotin. I have suffered unspeakable hairloss from anemia. It is beginning to grow back over the past two months and I cannot go back.

I just realized today that my sublingual b12/folic acid tab has 20mg of biotin in it...maybe that has been helping me and I didn't even know it.

I went to the Vitamin Shoppe today and bought a "biotin lozenge" - its biotin that dissolves like alka selzter (I like vitamins that bypass digestive system and go to my blood). I will call my doc, but wanted to know what dosage you all use.

THANKS! :D
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Amber » September 1st, 2006, 9:01 am

www dot nlm dot nih dot gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202091 dot html
will give biotin info-
Personally, I take 10 mg since it seems as if there is no "real" RDA for biotin.
I also take a complete EFA daily.
Time to start doing your research...:puter:
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby GucciGoo » September 1st, 2006, 9:03 am

I had some of this too, but I also had a baby 8 months ago, so it might have something to do with that as well.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo

Postby VictoriousNat » September 1st, 2006, 9:09 am

Amber wrote:www dot nlm dot nih dot gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202091 dot html
will give biotin info-
Personally, I take 10 mg since it seems as if there is no "real" RDA for biotin.
I also take a complete EFA daily.
Time to start doing your research...:puter:

I take an EFA too. Thanks for the link! I will check it out.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby VTGirlie » September 1st, 2006, 10:52 am

Thanks Guys!

I got some Biotin today and will start- will see how it goes. Always a little freaky to lose the one thing that works! :)

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie

Return to Weight Loss