As a what?
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Taangrl21 » December 28th, 2006, 2:35 pm

a mini snack, like instead of two pickle spears or other cut up veggies.
Taangrl21
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 28th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Medifast is so easy because everything you're allowed is clearly listed in the Quick Start Guide. Last I checked, there were no olives to be found there, sorry.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Taangrl21 » December 28th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Thanks Serendipity....my bad :?
Taangrl21
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Olives are free food

Postby herquiltness » March 6th, 2007, 4:24 pm

You can have up to 5 green or black olives each day as a "free food". It is the only free food they list.

I found this information on the MyMedifast Site under the "Success Tools" tab - Eat Right - Medifast Plan Materials - Condiment Recommendations.

Hope this is useful! :thumbig:
herquiltness

Postby Mike » March 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm

Its also listed here in the Lean Cuisine section in the sticky note under Condiments, Spices and Snacks
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-10250.html
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » March 7th, 2007, 3:56 am

Ummm guys, that was an old post. Olives didn't used to be on the list.....and I haven't looked in the Quick Start Guide lately, but I still think they aren't listed there. It's kind of confusing...

Has anyone checked the QSG lately? Just wondering.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Karli » March 7th, 2007, 8:50 am

I haven't gotten any new QSG's since Nancy posted about the olives and condiments and so on (what Mike linked to above). Nancy's post was at the end of January of this new year, so that seems pretty recent to me. And, the source seems pretty sound ... hee hee. Seems like olives are a "yeah."
Last edited by Karli on March 7th, 2007, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karli

Postby Mike » March 7th, 2007, 11:47 am

It is a recent guidelines post, however, with all things, be aware of yourself. It seems to me that those people who followed the program to a "T" and did not snack have done better than people like me who choose to add a little something in. (Good job all of you - you know, and we know who you are). ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Serendipity » March 7th, 2007, 1:22 pm

karli karl (am I allowed to call you that, cuz I think it's cute, too)

I meant that my post up there above was before Nancy's revelation in Janury about olives beling allowed. For me, while on program, it was best to stick to the written word in the QSG. Even when a nutritionist told me to add something, I didn't. I wanted to get to goal using the shortest possible route. I didn't snack except rarely. But everyone is different and some need to snacks to be able to stick with it. Each to his own.

We shall patiently wait for a revised QSG, so that we can preach it to the masses. :mrgreen:
jo
Serendipity

Postby Karli » March 7th, 2007, 1:56 pm

OOOOOOooooooooohhhhhhhh .... okay :-P.

And yes, you are welcome to call me karli karl :)
Karli

Postby Nancy » March 7th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Hidy Ho, Folks ~

As far as I know, the newest version of the Quick Start Booklet has not been published. Like you, I await...

Medifast recommends for rapid weight loss that people on the 5 & 1 Program have no more than one 'approved' snack per day. The approved snacks they list are the Medifast crackers, Medifast Soy Crisps and/or the Medifast Fast Soups.

Note: I've read different versions regarding the use of the Fast Soups. The Medifast/TSFL FAQs indicate "Fast Soups can be used once or twice a day, while Crackers should be limited to one serving." Other writings say ONE packet of Fast Soups per day.

My person experience regarding the Fast Soups - I have used two packets a day and lost weight as have many of our clients. I used them when it was hot and I got sweaty as I needed the sodium/potassium and I used them when I was especially hungry and drinking extra water didn't stop the hunger pangs.

Instant broth or bouillon is listed in the section entitled "Drink Lots of Fluids" and the way it is written 'implies' that a person can use it at will. I would use caution here. Using it at will can increase one's sodium levels = water retention.

The Medifast condiment list states

You can have up to 5 green or black medium olives as a free food. Notice it says ‘up to 5’ – that does not say you should have 5.

My personal experience is that it is best to limit snacks.

I had very bad food habits before I changed my life and my lifestyle with TSFL. Now days I rarely have snacks.

I view food as fuel or nourishment now - it still takes an act of my will to do so. There are days I WANT to eat 'just because' and I must consciously choose what I want more: a Payday candy bar or jeans that zip. I try to distract myself, drink a big bottle of water, have some herbal tea, go for a walk, read something, phone a friend, etc. to avoid eating when hunger or snackage desires pop up prior to a reasonable refueling time.

My health is my first option. I wanna weigh a certain amount and wear a certain clothing size; therefore, that determines how I eat and how I live. I cannot eat unlimited amounts of food and still wear a cool belt. It's my albatross.

In my formerly flabby life, I snacked continually. Salty and sweet food combinations are especially dangerous for me and may be for others, too.

I do eat green olives now. We buy them at the Farmer's Mkt from a local woman that hand stuffs them with blue cheese or Feta cheese. When I want a snack, I have two green olives. That's my limit - I drive by the speed limit to avoid citations and live by my food limits now 'cuz I am not returning to the self-imposed flabby imprisonment that sentenced me to depression, self-disgust, limited my physical abilities, etc.

Medifast also says we can have up to three stalks of celery, a cup of sugar free Jello, or 2 dill pickles.

Snacks! What are we gonna do about them? Bowls of nuts and candy are on tabletops everywhere. Ever notice you are surrounded by snacks at the checkout stands? Sheesh! We were at Office Max the other day and they have bags of candy, nuts, chips and gum at the office supply store! The baby store has tons of snacks at the end aisles of their checkout stand – babies don’t have teeth or the dexterity required to open a package of peanut butter filled crackers! Help! What’s a body to do? Some days I feel like we need blinders and nose plugs just to navigate!

Ok, Kids, I shall step down from my soapbox now.

Re: olives – I think they are a better snack choice than most everything. I also vote for the Robust Tomato Fast Soup with some Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy or Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil. It keeps me sane when I think I’m gonna kill for food!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine