I am giving up .....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

I am giving up .....

Postby Denise » June 10th, 2006, 9:28 am

..the scale that is! I know lots of us here are "slaves to the scale"..I can't stand it! My scale has not budged in 2 weeks...and I have been very compliant. I know the weight will come off...but to keep those evil thoughts outta my life...I made a decision as of today ..I will not weigh myself for 1 month.

So...I vow as of today 10Jun..I am Not getting on that metal contraption until the 10th of July!

I already feel better! :lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Wow

Postby Ginabobina1969 » June 10th, 2006, 10:17 am

It must be very freeing to make that decision..wish I could do it but it is one of my biggest motivating factors..most of the time..lol

I gave up cigs, I gave up sugar, I gave up potatoes I just CAN'T give up my scale too. :lol:

I admire you for being able to make that decision...You will do great. I am sure also you have a pleasant surprise at the end of the month.

Hugs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby loriannk » June 10th, 2006, 10:45 am

Good For You!

That is a huge decision I know I couldn't make. I love to hate my scale.

:goodluck:

Lori Image
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby SharonR » June 10th, 2006, 10:50 am

lol Lori, I too, love to hate my scale!

I told my husband last week that if I didn't lose any weight this week that I would have him hide it from me. Luckly for me I know I have lost 2 pounds so far this week...Shawwwwieee....I not only would have had sugar withdrawl but scale withdraw...that would not have been pretty!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby falisamarie » June 10th, 2006, 11:45 am

Way to go on giving that evil scale up. I have learned to stay off it all week......but go one Sunday without my weigh in fix.....I just don't know.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby jump4joy » June 10th, 2006, 12:50 pm

That's very interesting Denise, because I've been giving the same thing some VERY serious thought. In fact, I talked to my hubby last night and told him I'd like to give up the scale for a while....I was thinking about just weighing in at the end of this month, and then monthly after.

My reasons are:

--Aggravated and annoyed with myself for allowing an inanimate OBJECT determine my mood for the day! :x

--I had a week two weeks ago where I was so strict and so compliant to the LETTER and every single day the scale inched UP in increments. I was so psyched-out about it (yes, I told myself all the good self-talk that a big loss was coming, that it would come off, etc.) BUT I still ate a few things off-plan that weekend, and finally getting my act together the following Monday. I DID see a good loss anyway because I was losing fat in spite of what the scale said, but I would have done so much better if I hadn't had to deal with the frustration of the "bad news" the scale was giving me.

--My Weigh Day is always Friday mornings, and I've noticed that I get very strict on MF Monday morning until Friday morning, and then I begin to relax and the weekend is my worst time of temptation. If I have a slip, it will be on the weekend, especially if it's a PMS week.

I really intended to post my decision to STOP using the scale in the Journal section today....so we are of the same mind, Denise!

I asked myself a few questions: Do I allow the scale to affect my mood for the day? (good or bad...even in a small way)

Am I kidding myself that I only use the scale as a tool, for information only? Totally! I've been in heavy denial over this!

Does using the scale affect the WAY I DIET ON ANY GIVEN DAY? Sadly, yes. Strict, strict, strict in the days leading up to weigh-day, and worrying if I get too much sodium that it will negatively affect my "official" weigh in. Then slacking off for a few days....nothing too bad most of the time, but defiinitely not in my best interests. So YES, getting on the scale every day or even once a week affects the way I diet that week. I DON'T WANT THAT.

I'm with you Denise! I'm so glad you posted this so I know that I'm not alone in feeling scale frustration! The scale just messes with my head too much right now. I just want to concentrate on doing the plan the best I can each day and not worry about the head-games that getting on it right now gives me.

Will I be tempted to weigh? Sure. Will I ask my hubby to hide it from me? Nope. I'm a big girl and it's MY CHOICE to do this. Nobody is twisting my arm. I'll just put it away for a while....out of sight....out of mind (I hope!).

I want to try this as an experiment, I really think it will help me to focus on losing my excess fat and be FREE of having the SCALE tell me how well I'm doing.
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Denise » June 10th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Oh yeh Joy! I am so glad you are going to join me thru the next 30 days of not using that evil torture machine...right?!

So...going scaleless is almost as hard as sugarless.....interesting theory....I will advise my progress!

What I do know..is that my cats will be thrilled not to walk over the scale to get to their litter box!

:lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Postby Jan » June 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Good for you!!
I've never been too much of a fan of the scale. In fact I've often called it "old nasty" :x It can really effect our moods. I know when I was in the weight loss phase I about drove my good friend Nancy crazy. She kept asking me how much I had lost and I kept replying "I don't know" :D and that was the truth.!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Denise » June 10th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Ok Jan! That will be my answer for the next month! "I don't know!" :lol:
Denise
Preferred member

Postby alpha femme » June 10th, 2006, 10:07 pm

i tried to give up the scale since i've been stalled...

but it whispers and calls to me. :?

i can't help myself. i think i'm more addicted to the scale than i was to food. :roll: at least this addiction won't add lard to my butt.

congrats on your wise decision to ignore the evil platform. one day i hope i can do the same.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby jump4joy » June 10th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Denise wrote:Oh yeh Joy! I am so glad you are going to join me thru the next 30 days of not using that evil torture machine...right?!

So...going scaleless is almost as hard as sugarless.....interesting theory....I will advise my progress!

What I do know..is that my cats will be thrilled not to walk over the scale to get to their litter box!

:lol:

Great! I love it....and I couldn't believe it when I saw your post, Denise---I really was going to post the same thing today. I woke up really early this morning and I couldn't go back to sleep because I had decided to do it and trying to tell myself that it could be done....it'll be easier for me knowing that you're doing it too. Strength in numbers! :stroll:

I'm putting my old nasty evil torture machine :twisted: on a high shelf in the back of my storage room...behind my Xmas boxes where it'll be hard to get to.

Just think how freeing it will be to say "I don't know" (thanks, Jan!). I've been far too obsessed and I'm really sick of it FINALLY. :puke:
jump4joy

Postby Amber » June 11th, 2006, 9:14 am

WOW!
For me that would be like giving up air-
Good luck!
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nova » June 11th, 2006, 11:48 am

I think I can understand. I've been weighing myself daily and I don't let it get to me, either good or bad. After a week long plateau, I will usually get a little grumpy though. But I was gone for a week with no scale, and when I got on it this morning, I was thrilled to see a great big 5 pound loss, so maybe there's something to this weighing less often. Good luck, and I know you'll have a fabulous loss to report on July 10th. :)
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby jump4joy » June 11th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Just got rid of my Ticker (temporarily)....just wanna get my focus off NUMBERS and onto WORKING THE PLAN. I trust the Medifast process. I'm taking back the power I've given away to the scales.

Woo-hoo! I feel like a great load has been lifted....(NO, I won't weigh myself to see...lol!!)

I was glad I'd hidden my scales last night when I got up this morning.....I just KNOW I would've been too tempted to just hop on them if they were sitting there. :twisted:

Yeah for us, Denise! We can do this O scale-less buddy o'mine. :buddies:
jump4joy

Postby Arklahoma » June 12th, 2006, 8:17 pm

I admire your tenacity. I don't know if I could go scale-less. Would be a challenge indeed.

:goodluck:
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room