Girl Scouts

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Girl Scouts

Postby JeepGirl » August 24th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Has anyone been involved with Girl Scouts lately? The last time I had anything to do with it is when I was one in the late 70's ealry 80's!

My daughter wants to be one so we are going to the into meeting tonight and I was just wondering!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Elizabeth » August 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

I love the Girl Scouts. It teaches the girls wonderful things like strong values and leadership and community service and a nice opportunity for friendship and teamwork in a positive environment.
I haven't been directly involved lately but they're in our community and schools and I have friends who's girls are scouts.
I still have my pins in my jewelry box! They're old! :)
How exciting your your little girl :) Have fun.
Elizabeth

Re: Girl Scouts

Postby wildtrk » August 24th, 2006, 2:57 pm

JeepGirl wrote:Has anyone been involved with Girl Scouts lately? The last time I had anything to do with it is when I was one in the late 70's ealry 80's!

They still sell cookies....A big glass of milk and box of thin mints is a little slice of heaven that i will most likely never experiene again.
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby supermom » August 24th, 2006, 4:00 pm

I have a recipe somewhere from the Top Secret Recipe cookbook for the Thin Mints. I will have to find it and see if it could be converted to a decent maintenance desert. HMMMM I had forgotten about them!!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby JeepGirl » August 24th, 2006, 4:50 pm

LOL--I think Emma is more excited about selling Cookies than anything! I know her Daddy is lol

Well the meeting was great. I am very pleased with how organized they were and the information I recvd. Emma was tickled cause 2 of her friends are in her Troop!

It seems our county has a very active Group and that is what I was looking for! I think Emma will love being a Brownie!

LOL Elizabeth..I still have my Brownie and Junior Scout Uniforms and Sashes with all the Patches & Pins. Emma wore my Brownie outfit for Halloween last yr it was so cute!
JeepGirl

Postby MISSANNE » August 24th, 2006, 6:13 pm

My daughter has been a girl scout for the last 6 years. She just decided this year (6th grade) that it was no longer cool. It is good for the girls but can be a bit overwhelming with all the activities if you really participate. She went on weekend camping trips, cookie booths of course, helping the elderly, cleaning up neighborhoods, etc. She even went to Girl Scout camp for a week last summer. There are a million things they do. It's great!

The leader she had said its very common once they get a little older to no longer want to be a part. She said they lose 80% of the grls at ages 12-14.
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby JeepGirl » August 25th, 2006, 7:19 am

Michelle--I know even for me way back when I stopped participating in 6th Grade because once I got to Middle School it wasnt cool at all.

Emma needs something to get her more involved and I think this will do it nicely!
JeepGirl

Postby MISSANNE » August 25th, 2006, 9:07 am

Oh, it would be perfect! They teach wonderful values and morals to the girls. And responsibility. I wish my daughter didn't want to quit. I would like her to stay in it through High School. Unfortunatley, with kids nowdays, they can be so cruel about whats cool and whats not. I think I quit around 7th grade, too.

But I can't say anything but great things about them. I'm sure its the same across the states since they follow the same basic principles that were instilled from the beginning.

Good Luck!
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Return to What's Shakin'