Am I getting enough sleep?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Am I getting enough sleep?

Postby SharonR » July 30th, 2006, 8:12 am

I wasn't sure where to post this question so here goes.

Everyone talks about how much energy they have while being on medifast. I know I have been in the Medigroove and know how that feels.

Lately, the past couple of weeks, I am never tired at night. I am usually falling sleep at 10pm, now I am up till 12:00 or 1:00 am. Then I'm up at 6 or 7. I can't seem to sleep in.

This is all well and fine I guess, but I am not losing much weight and I wonder if not getting enough sleep is affecting it. In the past with other diets I know this is true, the more I slept the more I lost.

Any advice?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Hiya

Postby Ginabobina1969 » July 30th, 2006, 11:49 am

Hey Sharon,

I think that not getting enough sleep DEFINATLY affects your weightloss.
I am a problem sleeper :( ...meaning, I almost always go through a cycle where I have weeks of insomnia. When I don't sleep well I don't lose well. :x
Something that helps :) a lot is over the counter, Melatonin. It is sold in the vitamin section of the drugstore or any store, really that sells vitamins and health aids. It doesn't leave me feeling drugged or anything, just relaxes me enough to fall into a nice, deep sleep and I wake up feeling refreshed and energetic.

Here's to Sweet Dreams for you girly!
Hugs,
Gina

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby SharonR » July 30th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Thanks Gina, I've been wondering where the heck you vanished to! I'm sorry that you have been struggling. ( I read your post in roll call ) It's so good seeing you. You were one the first people who I was drawn to when I joined the forum. So please don't be a stranger! :mrgreen:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » July 30th, 2006, 3:38 pm

i have the same problems. alot of times i dont sleep more than 3-4 hours a night. i too take melatonin, just be wary of it, only take the recommended amount and dont depend on it to sleep because if u use it too much it might cause your body to not make enough melatonin when you dont take it since it is a hormone (the lady at the health store warned me about it so thought i would share) but yeah i take 1 pill of 3mg and that usually does the trick if i know im having trouble falling asleep that night and nothing is working.

another thing u can try is sleepytime tea
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Jan » July 30th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Hi there,
Lack of sleep is one thing that can stall weight loss. The amount of sleep ones body needs is a very individual thing however. Some people can get by with 6 hours or so and others need more than 8. Make sure you are not eating your bar as one of your last meal replacements. For sure not the last one and if sleep is an issue I wouldn't have it as one of your last two. They do have more carbs and can cause a "carb push" in sensitive people. If your weight loss has stalled I would consider ways to get a bit more sleep ... if you're still losing perhaps you're one of the ones that don't need as much sleep.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby SPMUSTANG » July 30th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Are you drinking too much caffeine? I can drink a ton of coffee (day or night) but give me a glass of iced tea in the afternoon and I'm wide awake.
I used to have insomnia- until I got married. I'm not sure what this says about my hubby but within seconds after he "spoons me" I'm out cold. Even more hysterical is what he does when I'm asleep and he has insomnia....apparently if I'm already alseep and he puts his arm around me I start to snore...he lifts up his arm I stop. He finds it quite amuzing to put his arm around me, then take it off, arm around me, then take it off...he says it's like a little light switch snore on, snore off, snore on, snore off.
OK I know that didn't help your insomnia troubles but maybe if you experiment you might find some entertaining sleep habit your significant other has to help you pass the time. KEEP SMILIN! :)
SPMUSTANG
Regular Member - #70 Club

Postby TheShadow » July 31st, 2006, 8:41 am

I know that I have been sleeping much better since I have been on MF (not counting the fact that I have to get uup to pee virtually every night now). If I have trouble I pop a Benadryl. The active ingredient is the same as all the over the counter sleeping pills and the generic Benadryl from Costco is much cheaper. It might help if you take a nice warm bath right before bed and don't do anything too stimulating the last few hours, like exercising.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby SharonR » July 31st, 2006, 9:14 am

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't drink caffeine after my one cup of coffee that I have in the morning.

I don't excerise before bed.

I'm lazy in the evenings I'm not doing anything to stimulate myself...well you know...other than...on occasion...oh nevernind.

I don't eat bars in the evening either, it's usually noon or so when I have one, if I have on at all.

Honestly I think it's energy, now I don't need as much sleep!? I am not tired during the day anymore so what else can it be. I just don't want it to slow down the weight lose.

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby dede4wd » July 31st, 2006, 8:10 pm

I'm lazy in the evenings I'm not doing anything to stimulate myself...well you know...other than...on occasion...oh nevernind.

Tee hee, sharon's talking about nevermind!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Prancer » August 1st, 2006, 6:50 am

Sharon I am having the same problem. When I first started MF I was having so much energy I was doing a ton during the day and sleeping really well at night. For the last two weeks I cant fall asleep for anything. I have even cut back on the diet coke. I used to have 2 or 3 a day and now I have maybe 1. I then have a really hard time getting up in the morning because I am still tired. It is really messing with me now.
Prancer

Postby Aerie » August 1st, 2006, 12:10 pm

I take Vaelrian Root 30 minutes before bed. OUT LIKE A LIGHT every time. I use it whenever I'm having trouble sleeping. It does make you have some unusual dreams though.
Aerie

Postby SharonR » August 1st, 2006, 1:17 pm

lol Dede ;)

Unusual dreams, like? :shock:

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby mousehouse62 » August 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm

I too use Melatonin on occasions but I do know that decaf coffee is in store for us in the evening. I need to have at least hours of sleep and hub, he loves to spend time on the computer and usually the only quiet time he has is when we are all sleeping. Sleepytime Tea is another great alternative as stated before. Last time i bought some i got Sleepytime Extra with valerian. Its another helper in the sleep area.
Sharon, try to do some meditation, praying, anything to let go and let Him take over. I used to have a prayer box, a little pretty box that i had beside my bed, along with scraps of paper and a pen, and I would write things that were on my mind that I would let stinkin' thinkin' get to me. Not saying that that is what is going on with you, but just a suggestion for those of us who are sleepless.
Tylenol has a product called, Simply Sleep but the times that I have taken it, I wake up groggy and girl, that ain't worth it.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Blessings
S/W 179
Now 152 1/2
G/W 135
HUBBY HAS MET HIS GOAL OF 155!!!! Go sweetie!!! :0)
mousehouse62
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Return to The Weight Room