Fatigued, but can't sleep?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Fatigued, but can't sleep?

Postby DonicaB » April 12th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Hi all, I am having a problem of feeling extremely tired, yet when I lay down at night to go to sleep I am having trouble getting to sleep. My hubby also said he noticed me tossing and turning more than usual. (But on a good note, he says I haven't been snoring) :goofy:

Any suggestions what the problem may be? Possibly not enough sodium?

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby doglover » April 12th, 2005, 1:25 pm

I will anxiously looking for suggestions as this is an interesting one! I had trouble falling asleep for a week or so early on (week one or two, can't remember now!) and then was getting up at 4-5 am EVERY morning and wide awake. But I am now more regulated and normal in the sleep patterns. Of course that is the only "normal" thing I do!! :goofy:
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » April 12th, 2005, 3:18 pm

Donica,
When I first started MF, I would sometimes have a little problem falling asleep, but most of that was due to my thinking about food while lying there :lol:
But seriously it has not been a problem for me long term, but some of our experts may have a better answer for you.
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » April 12th, 2005, 5:29 pm

Yup - me too. In the first few weeks I had a touch of insomnia. When I mentioned it on the forum, people responded with the same as we all are. Yep we did feel it .. but it did eventually go away. Didn't last but a week or two.

Nancy may be able to give you some technical medifast reason -- but I've always just thought it was because my body was adjusting. It didn't have all those icky carbs (equates to my usual nighttime snack of a bowl of sugar laden cereal or ice cream and pretzels etc etc) to process upon laying down. But I am now back to my normal sleep patterns -- I think I need a little LESS sleep now than before MF; but nothing earth shattering.

You are doing just fine so far Donica ... don't let this worry you. Take a bath or read a book for a little bit before hitting the hay to help your body relax a bit. Know that it won't be long before you are snoozing just the same as always. :snooze:
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby doglover » April 13th, 2005, 6:57 am

Scrabbler's post reminded me about something that was happening w/ my son. He was having trouble staying dry at night at 5 and 6 yrs old. So I talked w/ the Dr. who said that if he had anything w/ sugar before bed it would put him in a "carb coma" and he would be in such a sound sleep that he would not wake to go. So we cut all sugar out of his life (which is not much to begin with) and wa-la - never had another accident! It was really amazing how that one change made an overnight success.

So...this story is meant to say that our bodies are so reactive to what we feed them and maybe you are still just adjusting as your body is saying "WHAT???" and is trying to figure things out. Hopefully by now you are feeling some relief of that trouble.

Just thought I'd share.
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby raederle » April 13th, 2005, 7:15 am

That's a *really* interesting story, Donna! I had no idea that the food we eat before bedtime could have such a dramatic effect on our sleep... I mean, sure, I know caffeine will keep me awake and a too-full stomach will make me uncomfortable... but I never would have guessed that a little bit of sugar could have been making your son miserable! Thank you for posting that-- I will *definitely* think hard about it, because I often go through phases when I sleep fitfully and wake up often during the night; other nights, I sleep like the dead. Maybe if I paid more attention to what I last ate, I would recognize a pattern.

(Does this mean if I want to sleep better I should have an ice cream sundae before bed...? ;))
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby DonicaB » April 13th, 2005, 9:16 am

Well, I may have posted my question too early. Last night I went to sleep with no problem. I did do a little reading before I went to bed and I had some boullion about an hour before.

Hope it continues. Thanks for your help.

DonicaB :mrgreen:
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby scrabbler7 » April 13th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Does this mean if I want to sleep better I should have an ice cream sundae before bed...?

uh ... no

:whip:
scrabbler7

Postby raederle » April 13th, 2005, 8:02 pm

Durnit!!! Worth a try.... :snooze:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby Nancy » April 23rd, 2005, 10:40 pm

Sorry to be late in replying...

I don't sleep as much as I used to either - like others, we used to fall asleep in a carby stupor nearly every night before Medifast.

I will say that I am very much affected by caffeine now days if I drink coffee in the evening. The nice thing about having MF Chai Latte or oatmeal as an evening snack is they are caffeine-free and non-stimulating.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Weight Loss