Full-fasters out there?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Full-fasters out there?

Postby DutchChoc » August 9th, 2004, 5:39 pm

I finished my third week and just began my fourth.. with confidence, actually. My "idea" , or, should I call it what it is -- dream -- is/was to continue the routine that's been working for me until such time as I reach my goal weight. I've been doing shakes only. At this time, I believe that I'm mentally and physically tough enough to do that -- a few more weeks. My reasons for doing shakes only is merely a matter of easier control. Plus, frankly, if I were a master of eating just a little, I wouldn't be here, at all, most likely. I have little confidence in my ability to respond and adjust to Medifast as just another moderated diet, i.e. with food mixed in.

I have no adverse symptoms from pursuing the full fast, actually, quite the opposite, but I suppose I could tell you that, at the moment, my palms are a bit clammy from reading some earlier posts that kind of decimated my assumption/"belief" that people who described being on the MEDIFAST program for multi weeks/months were, in fact, not necessarily on the full fast for that time. To me, albeit I understand that Medifast is a full-scoped program WELL outside the realms of the "just shakes", I still tend to believe that many of us are trying shakes only? Or "DID" shakes only for weeks on end? Am I gravely mistaken?

I understand the concept of being under a physician's care for the full fast and the logic of that. What worries me more is at what point this becomes uncanny, and, how suddenly? If I make it three weeks and feel like somewhat of a hero to myself, should I begin to doubt the sanity of that pursuit???
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » August 9th, 2004, 7:03 pm

Hi DutchChoc, :wave:

I'm now on my third month. Started June 1, and did shakes only from June 1 to June 30. On July 1, I still did the complete fast but incorporated the soups, chili, oatmeal & bars per the program guidelines. The first month, I did great, and did only shakes to 'kickstart' my metabolism (which REALLY worked). Adding the other supplements the second month made it more enjoyable with a variety other than just the sweetness of the shakes.

IMHO, the 'control issue' is the same with the other supplements as it is with the shakes. When doing only shakes, one can easily have more than one at a time if one loses control which is the same as with the soups, oatmeal, & chili.

The bars however are another story. The 'control issue' is different with them since they are something you just unwrap and eat, and don't have to take any time to PREPARE. They're very good so just eating an extra one or two or three is hard for some to resist.

For me, this diet is an education :weightlift: in control. I'm planning maybe in Month 4 or Month 5 going to the 5 and 1 plan continuing studying and practicing control as I venture slightly back into nonMF food.

MF has worked so well for me it seems uncanny. Because it is so nutritious, easy, and SO FEW calories, even after I reach my goal weight, I will likely keep using it in order to eat some goodies occasionally yet maintain.

Here's to what's shakin and feeling like a SUPERHERO! :yeah:
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DutchChoc » August 9th, 2004, 7:32 pm

Thanks, Hawaiiwhatnot! I've been following your progress and it's been an inspiration to me to see your monthly losses. What you do is working, and has been working longer than my efforts to date.

I agree that control is almost a matter of perception, and will. On the other hand, although I can rationalize spending my "dough" on these somewhat magical beverages, I'd be less inclined to buy the soups, oatmeal, etc. MORE inclined to buy the bars, and for all the wrong reasons. The difference in my head between MEDIFAST-branded foods and off-the-shelf foods seems slimmer than the difference between MEDIFAST shakes and Slimast, for example. But, as they are pieces of the same food-guaging system, I don't doubt their validity. For me, unless my mind changes spontaneously, I'm more likely to slip right from the shakes to the "whatever" category. Not sure when that will happen, or if this experience will be more promising (in ways I'm not expecting).

I do feel that my time is limited on this path, but would surely like to find that the way is clear. I'm also aware that my elevated concern for continuing to do this could be stemming from my self-sabotaging ways -- what better way to discourage my own progress but to wonder if I "should" continue? Lots of diet hangups here. Lots of "fattitudes".

Like someone said, this can take 10 weeks or 10 months -- or, as I've found out, 10 years, or who-knows-how-long? Or, never, or not in any timely fashion, etc. Ultimately, this desire to extricate the self from "the extra" for some of us goes on over and over, a few pounds this decade, a few dozen another.

The learning is the key, I'm sure. I'm almost sure there's hope, and I'm still desirous of hanging in here. Thanks for the reply!!
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Triskets » August 9th, 2004, 10:16 pm

Hiya Dutchchoc - That must be your fav flavor? I know it's mine.

I'm on the full shake plan. I mix the MF with diet creme soda. YUMMY!
I plan to stay on my current plan until 105 pounds are gone. I just finished my second week today and won't weigh in until tomorrow morning. Then I'll put that figure on the weekly roll call board.
I "got rid" of 9.5 pounds the first week.

I won't add any of the other MF products into this diet because I'm afraid I'll eat the bars and then it would be an easy step to throw in some chips or candy. Do you know what I mean? The total fast is the easiest thing for me to do at this time.

I was on MF back in 1989 and lost the 40 pounds I needed to lose in 10 weeks using just the shakes. I didn't get tired of it. I try to stay away from restaurants and stuff. Or, if I'm meeting a friend for lunch, I take a shake with me.

Good luck to us all - it is a tough diet but it is doable!
Trish
Pound by pound my weight is coming down!
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2004, 5:40 am

Well, Triskets, let's enjoy each other's company, then! I awoke today feeling great and less edgy about going forward. I'm glad to hear of your previous shakes plan and the results thereof. Yes, it's doable, and, like you said, this is easier for me now that I'm in the groove than taking chances with other items.

We can do it, YES!! Know what you mean about staying away from restaurants, etc, and taking a shake on a lunch date. I have a monthly lunch date with a friend that will probably be coming up soon -- she doesn't know of my "initiative" yet and will probably say something uncooth, as she did about the low-carb part of the menu on another occasion. I also have to bring treats into work on Friday for charity donations, and I'm thinking of that as a big "yuck" day for me, like something I'll be glad to put behind me.

I'll look forward to seeing your success & weigh-in results. Yes, it's my favorite flavor, alright.

Postby Triskets » August 10th, 2004, 7:40 am

Hi Guest - Do you have a name?

I hear ya on the food thing at work. This Friday I'm going to a 50th Wedding Anniversary dinner, Saturday night is my 30th high school reunion (dinner) and then a baby shower on Sunday (food). The wedding anniversary will be no problem because it will be finger foods. No one will notice me not eating.
The reunion is a sit down buffet so I'll put a few things on my plate and then swish them around on my plate without eating and then on Sunday the baby shower will be from 3-6. I have a shake at 3 and at 6 so that won't be a problem.
If anyone asks questions, I say I had a big breakfast, lunch, etc and am not very hungry.
The following Sunday I have a family affair and we're going to go to Costco and buy one of there fruit trays to take. Again that will be buffet/pick and eat at the food as you please.
I've got it worked out so I don't sabotage my MF plan.
Let's do keep in touch!
Trish
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets

Postby Triskets » August 10th, 2004, 7:50 am

Guest -

I was just reading your response again. You must be Dutchchoc? I wonder why you came up as a guest?
We can converse with each other via our e-mail too. I'd like to do that.

If your friend is so critical of your weight loss attempts, is she really a friend? Or is it just diets in general she is opposed to? Rhetorical questions to ask yourself.

I had the same thing happen to me last week with one of my friends. I thought she would say something negative but she didn't. So I'd gone into the luncheon thinking she would be critical and as usual she wasn't. It was all in my head.
When I take drastic measures to better my life, I tend to get on the defensive about what other people will say about my attempts.
BUT, this is MY life and I'll manage it in MY way.
The MF plan works for me.
Take care
Trish
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets

Full Fast

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » August 10th, 2004, 8:19 am

I do the full fast as well, but I do incorporate some of the other offerings--soups, chili is one of my favorites, and occasionally, a bar. I think it is all up to the individual. I can have the bars because I've never been one to "crave" sweets anyway. It's more of a stress on ME to have those crackers around! LOL So far so good, though.
I don't find it harder to have the other supplements, because they are packaged int he same manner--it's habit--take out a packet, prepare it, consume it. Period. Shake or soup, it follows the same pattern and I can deal with it.
Now actual FOOD? :roll: That's another story. LOL

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » August 10th, 2004, 11:02 am

Dear Dutch Choc ~

Nope, you are NOT alone and Nope, you are NOT just dreamin'. I chose the full fast as I was so out of control with food that I wanted the least amount of contact with food!

I actually did do shakes only for three months. Partially because I was afraid of trying other products - I am a picky eater and we did not have an excess of $ to spend for products that I would not like. I knew that I had to eat what was ordered. No matter what. Initially I didn't really know about all of the other products – my husband just asked me how many boxes of Dutch Choc and how many of Orange Pineapple I wanted and he ordered them. I did not even look at the list of possibilities!

By the way, we have added many new products since I first started Medifasting in July 2002. We have over 50 products from which to choose. Flavor fatigue is just not possible now.

We were planning a family vacation and my husband Terry asked me if I would like to try something else so I added a few other products when we went to Kauai just for convenience and so that I could feel like I was having a treat when others in our vacation troupe were noshing on pineapple, macadamia nuts, candies, and shave ice! I did order some oatmeal and crackers – oh my gosh! What a thrill to have something crunchy! I kept biting my cheek as I think my teeth forgot how to come together!

Terry also ordered a couple of boxes of bars because we were going to be hiking and kayaking and he thought they would provide good fast energy for me in a very hot and humid climate.

Oh, those bars! Uh oh – they are so good and for some people, I say, be VERY CAREFUL - because the bars are so good, some people cannot stop at one! Only you know you best. If your willpower is puny, do not order the bars until you are in a safer place mentally.

I did have a few Five and One meals while we were on vacation and when we returned I pretty much did shakes only. I had an occasional salad, and certainly had a small amount of asparagus and a bite of turkey meat on Thanksgiving! I lost 130 pounds (now 135 pounds) in 7 months and for most of my weight loss phase, I used primarily shakes. I did use oatmeal and Creamy Broccoli soup several times a week. Sometimes I had Chicken Noodle Soup, LOVED (and still do!) the Tomato Fast Soup.

There are many others on the Forum that used shakes only. If I were to do it again, I would have a small green salad nearly every day. I personally feel it is important to have some roughage…and to keep the stomach awake by giving it something to do while Medifasting. A small green salad absolutely will not slow down your weight loss.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Sylvia » August 10th, 2004, 12:45 pm

I started out on the full fast but using the complete line of products. I honestly don't think I would have been able to do this if I would have done shakes only. In my first couple of months, I did 3 shakes one bar and one soup per day. I would have the soup at dinner with a package of crackers and a small green salad. Dinner is usually my downfall and the ability to have a somewhat "normal" meal helped me stick to the program. I used the modified plan a couple of days during this time with no issues and no stomach problems.

A few weeks ago I began an exercise program and decided that I would move to the modified plan. It is also very important to me to begin eating real food and preparing for life after MF and I thought I was ready to begin that process by using the modified plan. So far this has worked well.

I thought I'd also share a bit of my weight loss history with some of the newer folks. I know when I started the program, it was with Nancy and Mike's rapid success in mind. Even though I've been completely compliant, my loss has been slower (but still faster than anything else I've done). I started the program on 5/3 with 75 pounds to lose. I have been on MF for about 14 weeks and have lost 42 pounds. I should reach my goal by about 11/1 or six months after I started.

Another interesting thing about my loss is that after the first very fast 10 pound loss (in 9 days), I have lost 5 pounds very slowly followed by 5 that melt off very fast. Over the last couple of months it has taken me 28 days to lose 10 pounds but the first 5 have taken 18-21 days and the second 5 only 7-10. I am hoping my new exercise plan can help me accelerate my loss but so far I'm following the same general trend. I am defintely feeling better and building muscle though and am noticing huge differences in my clothes even though the scale doesn't always move as fast as I'd like.

I thought it was important to provide this info. Hopefully, everyone else will lose fast and steadily like Nancy and Mike. For some though, the loss may slow down quite a bit after the initial rapid loss phase. Please know that it may take more time and patience but it will work if you stick to it.

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DutchChoc » August 10th, 2004, 6:19 pm

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful replies. I'm not sure if I reply at the end of these messages how it will post. I have a few things to say to all of you.

To start, I was getting a bit freaked out last night about being on the fast for a few weeks, obviously. :? I know from the way I feel today and right now that I'm still "fine" and not in danger of dwindling starvation. However, I notice the power of the feeling of doing this, and a kind of power I'm not the least bit used to. I'm more used to being my food's "toy". :x

Sylvia, you've got the kind of success that I'm looking for, and thanks for taking the time to describe your experience. I have bad memories of the times I tried losing weight and got stuck, and the thing that usually happened was that I stopped if the weight loss stopped. Of course, sometimes it was just an excuse for me. As disgusting as it is, there are times I have liked eating off plan and too much in spite of the grief if would no doubt cause me almost immediately. At times, I have no foresight and give into to what I want NOW instead of what I really want. Seems you have a miniscule 20-something-little pounds to go; bet it happens before you're expecting it to, but it's to your credit to be patient and able to wait for your own speed.

Triskets, yes, it was I, from work, and I neglected to sign in. I'm glad that we can talk about the challenges we face this week and others to come. I'll be so glad to be clear of this Friday, and I wish you the same with your activities. Re my friend, she's fairly abrupt. When she was mocking the low-carb, I'm sure she wasn't realizing that that's what I would've ordered (otherwise!!). Of course ME, well, I couldn't have the guts to go ahead and order what I would've, so as not to embarrass HER, etc... from such things/tendencies stem some of my hang-ups. I almost can't imagine meeting her with my shake for lunch, but if the opportunity comes up, I'll go just to improve my strength, maybe.

Nancy, you were amazing to lose all that weight and make such a transformation to Leopard Lady in a few weeks, relatively, and you're so kind to all of us that I want to thank you for putting a face on a new opportunity to succeed. And, what you did must have worked about as efficiently as possible to have accomplished that kind of loss. Everything you said about your choices is logical and is a promising model for any of us. As for me, I've lived a rich "diet life" and have been about as two-faced as one could be, telling myself how being thinner would make me happier all the while making bad decisions and messing up my own efforts. Unfortunately, I know I'm capable of being all too fickle re intent and effort and I'd love to see that change or find what I need to change it. This is about the most unrelated-to-failure approach I've taken, and I'm hoping it will be definitive. It really does feel like it could be just that. Thanks for the support of this Medifast community. :lol:
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby DutchChoc » August 10th, 2004, 6:31 pm

Susanna, I think you've made a good point about the idea of the package and the "relationship" I/you/we might build with a single package -- just take it, open it, prepare it, consume it. As long as there isn't a pretty bow on it, I might respond to it as a safe item. You're lucky not to crave sweets, but I can imagine that anything else could take the place of sweets in a bad moment. I, for one, am not picky when I feel like gorging myself. And so, I am SO enjoying not being in that mood lately. There are not words to describe my pleasure at not being bossed around by my presumed sustinence. This is like a vacation from my worst enemy, and I hope I don't go home for a very long time. Good luck to you, too. This is a wonderful thing!!
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Triskets » August 12th, 2004, 11:34 am

Hi friendly losers!

I can totally identify with what you say about the power DutchChoc. I love the feeling of being the commander of my own destiny. The choice we made to give up foods in favor of the full fast. I just feel great on this diet. And actually, some times I forget to eat believe it or not.

The little kid in me fights with me sometimes - "I don't wanna (stay on the diet) and you can't make me!" Sound familiar? The powerful side of me tells the child to pipe down and she does. I'm down 14.5 pounds in 16 days and have no intention of stopping the fast until I'm down to goal weight.

Happy drinking!
Trish
Start over 2/9/2008
268/252
Triskets

Postby DutchChoc » August 12th, 2004, 8:59 pm

Thanks for feeding my enthusiasm, Triskets. I'm having a pretty easy time with this and I can hardly figure out WHY, so when that happens, I stop worrying about it and enjoy it instead. I feel very lucky to have this chance to accomplish what it seemed like I couldn't any other way. I feel great, also... SO much better than I did when I was in pain from seeing too much of myself in the mirror, and having my son call me a sumo wrestler when he saw me putting on pantyhose, etc. :x He's only 8, and he doesn't really understand what's happening, doesn't even seem to see that I'm losing weight yet, either, but that's OK.

Yeah, I know about that little mean kid inside who thinks this could go on forever, but I'd rather deal with her impatience than face the disappointment of not being able to get started doing this again. I wasted a couple of months recently that way and NOW, if I want to enjoy the holidays ahead as a thinner person, I know I can't afford a huge detour like having to lose some of this all over, etc. There are only about 140+ days left in this year, if you can believe it.

Let's hang tough. It probably doesn't get any better than this.
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » August 12th, 2004, 11:53 pm

Hi there ~

You are all being so supportive of one another and providing thoughtful insight into your own personal situations! Good for you!

One of the things I like about MF is that once a person is in the fat burning stage, the cravings for most foods really does go away.

Oh there are times - most certainly there are times when ya get a glimpse of one of your faves or get a whiff of something really juicy and then ya WANT it, but for the most part, the hunger and deep desire for it goes away.

I really appreciate that about MF. It is like a teensy little gift that comes during the long weeks and months of the routine.

Celebrate every day - sometimes we have to really look hard for something to celebrate but there are little treasures along the way.

DutchChoc, I smiled about your 8 year old commenting about how it seemed like you were a sumo wrestler putting on fannyhose...wriggling into fannyhose is NOT easy at any size! Let HIM try to put on a pair of them! :shock:

Those little comments DO hurt. My Daddy used to say to me when he would watch me walk: "Nancy, your buns looks like two cats fighting in a paper sack!" :x

Gosh, that hurt my feelings.

I had one of my students ask me if I was going to have a baby... :twisted:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Next

Return to Weight Loss