Frustrated and need to find my way back!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Frustrated and need to find my way back!

Postby SneezyKitten » June 3rd, 2004, 12:55 pm

Maybe it has been reading the returns of Kelyn and Lois that is inspiring me, or maybe the fact that I am in some sort of spiral and have gained several pounds in the last few weeks - I know I am in a cycle of food addiction - I have had legitimate excuses for going off Medifast in the past (medical...doctor advised, etc), but now I have no barriers and I don't know why I can't get going again! I have tried several times in the last month and have managed three days at most.

The smell of the first shake in the morning is nauseating me now. It is actually triggering my (very easy to trigger) gag-reflex. This never happened before!!!!!!!!!!! The ready-to-drink boxes and the bars are causing severe stomach burning. Too strange. I am sure some of this is just that I need a kick in the pants. SOMEONE KICK ME IN THE PANTS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I re-read Success in a Shaker Jar. I have been in here reading posts. And yet - I have been eating too much and eating unhealthy and the more I stress about wanting to be back on Medifast, it seems the more I eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not asking for a pity party here - I just really needed to vent and somehow I feel like if I say it here - it makes it real. If I admit something "out-loud", then I also become responsible to fix it.

Has anyone utilized counseling services for food addiction while doing this program? I KNOW Medifast will enable me to drop the pounds, but I really think I am dealing with some sort of addiction or inappropriate use of food. My B.S. is in Behavioral Science and I formerly worked at an alchohol recovery center - I see "addiction" signs here but it is not so easy to "counsel" ones self!!!!! Any ideas or experience anyone can share?
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Carrie » June 3rd, 2004, 1:29 pm

Ok Sneezy, you asked for a kick in the pants.............here it is........ this is my 'tough love lecture I gave Kat awhile back ......... someday I'll probably have to ask you to give it back to me, LOL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may not be aware of this right now, but YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH. You need to make a decision about whether you are going to be serious about this or not. You can dink around for years starting a diet and then grazing your way back into all- out eating. OR you can get serious, follow this plan for a prescribed period of time, and THEN be able to eat again (within reason of course).

You need to take responsibility for this. This is yours. You own it. What makes you feel better in the long run ..... to have a day where you stuck to your plan, or to have a day where you gorged on peanut butter or whatever? Restrict yourself solely to MF products, in the prescribed quantity. Bingo. There's your key to success.

If this was easy there wouldn't be any fat people. When I was working my way through college giving riding lessons (horses) and one of my students started jumping, they were inevitably scared and would veer around the jump or pull up short. This drove me (and the horse) crazy. I finally got tough about it and told them 'You can go under this jump, through it, or over it. Those are your only options. Easy way or hard way. You pick.'

You can do this the easy way, the hard way, or not at all. It's up to you, and no one but you will reap the benefits or pay the consequences of your decision.

I don't mean to be so harsh, but I have been where you are, and when I was there I needed a serious kick in the fanny. I have spent years and years eating like a glutton for all kinds of reasons and refusing to take responsibility for what I put in my mouth. And I regret every one of the years I lost to being in misery because I was fat. Let's not waste any more time on negative behavior and thought. This is something you can do for yourself, but only you can resolve to follow through.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lois » June 3rd, 2004, 1:30 pm

Hello, my friend!

I hear your frustration (and desperation) and I am with you 100%. You are not alone, and you are to be commended for both your honesty and your call for help.

I am seeing a counselor to help me deal with my weight issues and food addiction. Our insurance pays for part of the fee, which is a blessing! Many people think therapy is "too expensive"....but there is NO price too high to pay for sanity, and my counselor is worth her weight in gold to me!

Also, I have just joined OA (Overeaters Anonymous) and find it to be a great support system. This is my first time ever in a "twelve step" program, and I can already feel/see a difference in how I am approaching my addiction.

I am no expert, but I hope this helps.

I'm rooting for you!

hugs,

Lois
Lois

Postby explorthis » June 3rd, 2004, 1:51 pm

SOMEONE KICK ME IN THE PANTS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone utilized counseling services for food addiction while doing this program?
Dealing with some sort of addiction or inappropriate use of food

I see "addiction"

Any ideas or experience anyone can share?

I don’t know if I ever understood the “addiction thing”… Maybe it’s me as a man, seeing things different than women do, so help me understand. Let’s talk about alcohol for a second. Prior Medifast I was a drinker, man thing, hanging around w/ the boys, gimme a beer, or TEN… Addicted? You tell me. Going to the in-laws, my MIL is a wine drinker, we got to talking one day, are we actually alcoholics w/ an addiction? I like drinking, let’s face it, I like(d) the buzz. If it was such an addiction, why was I able to give it up? Since Medifast, I gave up the drinking for the most part, still occasionally drinking when I see fit. WHEN I SEE FIT. The same for food, I gave up the CRAP, with exception, as I SEE FIT. What’s the big deal here? Don’t start in with the “oh you’re a man, it’s easier” mumbo jumbo, I am no different than you. I like food, even after Medifast I swill have cravings, and want crap to eat. The difference now, is I can safely do it WHEN I WANT. I have control. It’s not control due to a given up addiction, I just learned to deal with it myself, and so can you.

I had well over 100# to lose (like some of you here do) No one was to blame but me, was it an addiction, or just my stupidity that got me here in the first place? I am blaming no one but myself. No one forced you get fat, and no one is wiring your mouth shut, to force you to lose the weight. (I am speaking in general here – not directly at you) I knew I had it in me at one time to lose the weight, as I did it on Optifast 22 years ago. Is this some miracle strength I have, that Women do not have? I am no preacher, nor do I live in a glass house, but I know it is me, and only me, and it can be only you that causes YOU to lose weight, or to gain it. How can Jeanette, and Tami, and Carrie stick with it? How did Nancy do it? It’s called will power.

This is not a game; the weight is not coming off mysteriously. It’s called controlled calories. Medifast is only an aid, for us, the ones that need to lose a substantial amount of weight.

You have heard me preach this before (oh here he goes again) Get off the pot, lose the weight. Medifast is not causing a gag reflex, you are turning your nose at it, because it’s not your standard fat laden burger, or donut (I am slamming the keys at this point, almost in frustration) I did it, and so can you. Don’t you give up on this program any of you. Weather its 2 or 4 pounds a week, it’s still a loss you were not experiencing on whatever you were doing pre-Medifast. Am I wrong? So it takes you a little longer, at least it’s a loss.

You are the responsible one – ALL OF YOU to fix this. This is my counseling arena, I could think of nothing better than this support board for counseling. Folks like ALL of you that understand. I am not prepared to shell out umpteen dollars an hour for some shrink to tell me it’s me, I know it’s me.

Make it happen. Kick yourself in the pants.

I’ll bow out now, and prepare for the bullets.

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » June 3rd, 2004, 2:00 pm

Remember the (i think it was) Bob Newhart skit?

STOP IT!!!

That'll be 50 bucks please....
:)
Doctor Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Sylvia » June 3rd, 2004, 2:12 pm

I have to say that I agree with both Carrie and Mike. This is really about taking ownership of your problem and deciding you're going to solve it this time for good. We all have issues with food - that's why we're here. I believe those issues stem mainly from the fact that we like to eat - a lot and things that are not always the healthiest. The reasons we eat may vary - stress, comfort, image issues or just plain because we're hungry (or imagine ourselves to be) and it tastes good - but the bottom line is that to change your health, appearance, etc., you've got to stop eating the way you have been. Counseling may help you to understand why you overeat or to help you identify the triggers so you respond differently to them but I would guess that you already know the answers. The hard part is making the behavioral changes and sacrifices.

I am certainly no better than you and unlike Mike, I am still on the journey - not there yet. The difference is that this time I will be successful. I have decided that I will do this and I know that if I stay true to the plan I will succeed. I have been doing this a month. I have made it through parties, business travel with associated meals and all of the normal and some not so normal stresses that usually trigger eating. Through it all, I have not cheated. Not once. In the past, each of those stresses or events would have provided me with handy excuse for why I had to go off the program. Not this time because this is the last time I am doing this.

I also echo Mike in that it is not Medifast that makes you successful. It is your focus and determination that will make or break you. Medifast is just the means to get you from here to there.

You can do this but you have to be strong, single-minded and determined. You have to decide that this is something you must do now and for the last time.
Sylvia

Thanks for the words of wisdom

Postby Lisa bear45 » June 3rd, 2004, 4:21 pm

Ok....thanks to those of you sharing in this honest and open way...it is my 6th day today...I feel like crap, but guess what??? I would feel alot worse later when I get adult onset diabetes or have a stroke or heart attack...I AM STICKING TO THIS one day at a time...or one minute at a time or whatever it takes!!! And you guys sharing like you are right now surely help me to do that!!! :!: Lisa in Dallas who has LOTS of pounds to drop....
Lisa bear45

Postby Landylue » June 3rd, 2004, 7:36 pm

SneezyKitten! What in the world is wrong? You told us your symptoms, but you didn't tell us what's wrong. What are you trying to push back down inside with food? Pain? Fear? Anger? Lonliness?

The people on this forum will understand what you are feeling much more than any therapist could ever understand. We've all been there/done that. The way I see this forum is that we are the walking wounded that pick each other up--even carry each other if need be.

Now, what's wrong?

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby SneezyKitten » June 4th, 2004, 3:24 am

Thanks everyone for such great feedback!

One thing I love about this forum is the diversity of opinions!!!! I manage to glean something useful from everyone's response no matter what the tone or text is. And I appreciate the kicks in the pants (I'm a little sore now!) I have a coffee and swiss mocha shake chillin' in the fridge as I type. I have made sure there is nothing overly tempting in the house. I pulled out my water bottle with the ounces marked on the side to ensure I am getting at least 64 oz's today. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Thanks again :D
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss