French Onion Soup

Add your favorite recipes.

Postby GucciGoo » January 5th, 2007, 5:13 pm

bikipatra wrote:
alpha femme wrote:you did fine. really. fat is not ideal, but no sugar means no additional cravings to deal with. a good way to judge soup is let it sit there for a few minutes. if you see oil on the top, it's not a "clean" broth and probably doesn't work for our ass-ectomy purposes.

on the other hand, you watched other people eating what probably smelled good and used restrain and the best judgment you could. thumbs up.

What about the corn starch or flour, wine, brandy or sherry that was used? I'm sure that all in all it was not a big deal. Just a learning experience.

You are succeeding in making me feel worse...
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » January 5th, 2007, 6:15 pm

Hi Beth, consider it a learning experience, don't fret over it, and just move on. :D Lesson for the day: Onion soup in most cases is a no-no! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » January 5th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Well, sure. There's no point in freaking out about it. You ordered something you thought was OK; next time you'll know better. Don't beat yourself up.

But I would try to always, always carry some Medi-stuff with me. Most places will have some sort of salad with meat, but you never know. You could also try eating your Medifast right BEFORE you go, so you won't be hungry and the smells won't be as tempting. It's hard, I know, but it can be done. I've just gone along for the ride and conversation, and just sipped a water or Diet Coke the whole time.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 4:13 am

DarkAndStormy wrote:
bikipatra wrote:
alpha femme wrote:you did fine. really. fat is not ideal, but no sugar means no additional cravings to deal with. a good way to judge soup is let it sit there for a few minutes. if you see oil on the top, it's not a "clean" broth and probably doesn't work for our ass-ectomy purposes.

on the other hand, you watched other people eating what probably smelled good and used restrain and the best judgment you could. thumbs up.

What about the corn starch or flour, wine, brandy or sherry that was used? I'm sure that all in all it was not a big deal. Just a learning experience.

You are succeeding in making me feel worse...

I am sorry! I really meant what I said and others said, it was a learning experience! I was just trying to be helpful about what can be in seemingly innocuous soups and messed up again! :cry:
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » January 6th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Dear D & S ~

No reason to feel Dark and Stormy today! I really think you're fine. Besides, yesterday is so over and a new day dawns.

I like the way your MakeMeThinner Friends directed us all to the common French Onion ingredients.

Side bar: I love FO Soup, too. What’s that ya say, Bik? You had real live French Onion soup in Paris? Sheesh, you are sumpin’ else – a leopardizer and world traveler PLUS you grace the MMT Forum and help us all. Dang!

When we get to maintenance, Dark and Stormy, you can occasionally enjoy it again. This is a temporary avoidance during the weight loss phase. Consider making a home version to slurp while you are in the thinnin’ process here that is lower fat/lower carb by grilling onions in a non-stick skillet with low sodium soy sauce, vinegar, and low sodium beef broth. I know it is not as awesome as dining in Paris or with your friends but it may help you to feel comforted and cozy while you head for the goal line.

Once I started the weight loss program, I became more aware of the contents of common meals.

Before Medifasting, I never thought about how my body reacted to the things I ate. I always looked at recipes and used them - never considered using lower-fat versions or lower carbohydrate substitutions – in fact; I liberally used butter and sugar. For good weight loss and weight management, we need to consider calories as well as carbohydrates. We try to eat more complex carbohydrates, avoid simple sugars and animal fats.

It takes some time to learn it all; I am certainly no expert but I want to commend you for the course you are on. You are doing your best to improve your health, to reach a healthy weight and to make informed decisions about eating and exercise. We give you a pat on the back for the weight you have lost, for your determination to reach your goal and we just appreciate you for your encouragement and help to others here on the MMT Forum. You are getting closer to your goal every three hours.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 1:38 pm

Nancy wrote:

Side bar: I love FO Soup, too. What’s that ya say, Bik? You had real live French Onion soup in Paris? Sheesh, you are sumpin’ else – a leopardizer and world traveler PLUS you grace the MMT Forum and help us all. Dang!

Yes, I was a tourist cliche-it was my first meal in Paris at a sidewalk cafe in Monmartre! I was drinking back then so I enjoyed it with a ONE glass of champagne. The good thing, everything is so expensive in Paris, I never got bombed there. Couldn't afford to!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » January 6th, 2007, 1:45 pm

Lucky you!

For some of us, we'll have to live vicariously through your adventures by sitting at a small table on our porch, sippin' sparkly water with our pinkie extended and suck down some fake French Onion soup...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » January 6th, 2007, 7:12 pm

But did you also have french fries and french toast? And something french vanilla flavored?
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 8:20 pm

DogMa wrote:But did you also have french fries and french toast? And something french vanilla flavored?

I didn't but my husband enjoyed some pommes frites with an omelet.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » January 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Ahhh...I remember french fries....they were part of my downfall...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Nancy wrote:Ahhh...I remember french fries....they were part of my downfall...

I used to think they required a whole vat of ranch dressing for dipping, especially if they were the seasoned kind....or chili cheese fries are a favorite back in Texas.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » January 6th, 2007, 8:38 pm

I am with you on that one, Biki...I love them swimming in ranch, bleu cheese or with a mayo-catsup concoction. I esp liked 'em from Red Robin as they are bottomless...Help! Let's not talk about 'em...I m trying to de-flab myself and this is killing me! :x
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby bikipatra » January 6th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Nancy wrote:I am with you on that one, Biki...I love them swimming in ranch, bleu cheese or with a mayo-catsup concoction. I esp liked 'em from Red Robin as they are bottomless...Help! Let's not talk about 'em...I m trying to de-flab myself and this is killing me! :x

Me too!!!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Loribug » January 9th, 2007, 8:47 pm

hmmm FO soup, sounds japanese to me
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby casma500 » January 10th, 2007, 10:36 am