For the love of meat.........

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

For the love of meat.........

Postby Tankie » May 25th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Hey guys, I'm sure this is posted on here somewhere, but being the non-computer savy person I am I couldn't find an answer to my question....

So here it goes....I've found listings for what veggies, condiments and drinks we can have but have not found a good listing of different meats, other than chicken, pork tenderloin and water packed tuna....(I am especially wondering about lean ground beef). Please if any one has a good list of lean meats we are allowed help a girl out. :D
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nicole81 » May 25th, 2006, 1:23 pm

You can have the lean ground beef but I wouldn't do it too often. I like it occasionally but I really enjoy turkey burgers. I like to mix all types of stuff in. I mix jalapenos in with a little chili powder (make sure it is sugar free) It is so yummy. Sometimes I mix in onions, garlic,cilantro and mustard also very yummy. I am sure you will find something that works for you.
-NICOLE
243 highest weight in 10/05
238 BEFORE MEDIFAST 1/06
STARTED MF 3/6/06 @ 230
230/190/130

Going to restart soon. Now 229 had my baby boy 7/14/07. Ready to get Shakin'
Nicole81
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » May 25th, 2006, 2:22 pm

I can't search for it right now because I'm working, but somewhere else I posted a list of beef cuts that are considered lean (there are 29, I believe). You can also do a Google search for "lean beef" and find a list pretty easily. There is actually a government regulation on what can be called "lean" or "very lean."

OK, I found it. According to the FDA, these are considered lean (in order of lowest fat content to highest):

Eye round roast and steak
Sirloin tip side steak
Top round roast and steak
Bottom round roast and steak
Top sirloin
Brisket - flat half
95% lean ground beef
Round tip roast and steak
Round steak
Shank cross cuts
Chuck shoulder or pot roast
Sirloin tip center roast and steak
Chuck shoulder steak
Bottom round steak
Top loin (strip) steak
Shoulder petite tender and medallions
Flank steak
Shoulder center (ranch) steak
Tenderloin roast and steak
T-bone steak
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mom23 » May 26th, 2006, 4:59 am

Thanks for that list Robin. When I took a nutrition course in college, I had to memorize all of the cuts of beef, so that was a good memory jogger for me (it's been eons since I took that course!)

One thing I remember from my college nutrition courses and from being on LA Weight Loss and Weight Watchers is that beef and pork take longer for our bodies to process. Having them often is not a good idea. I try not to have beef and/or pork everyday -- in fact, I eat them no more 3 times a week and never two days in a row...
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Jan » May 26th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Hi there,
I am a meat eater too!!! :D Remember that sometimes we think we are doing ourselves a favor and are in reality not. Chicken thighs and chicken legs are both quite high in fat. Some cuts of beef are a much better choice. Also when buying ground turkey make cetain it's not one that has the skin ground into it. That really ups the fact too.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Tankie » May 27th, 2006, 12:08 am

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!! But one more question....any ideas on any lean sausages? I'm originally a Wisconson girl so I do love my meat filled pig intestine!!! heh heh...wow...sounds kinda gross when I put it that way....oh well...it's tasty anyway..... :)
It's been swell but the swelling's gone down...

Tankie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Jan » May 27th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Hi there Tankie,
I believe it is Jenny O that makes a low fat kielbaska and polish sausage. It has 3 grm of fat per serving. Some of the speciality food stores also make low fat chicken sausage. You have to watch this one though because sometimes the fat is still toooo high for us. Regular sausage is unbelievably high in fat so they can call it low fat .... just not low enough for us. Happy searching.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby ktrout » May 27th, 2006, 3:19 pm

I grill Turkey sausage all the time. It's got very little fat and is pretty tasty. I like the spicy ones to keep it interesting. We try and have beef only once or twice a week and then only the very lean cuts or very lean ground beef.
313/228/200

1-1-2006 Start Date
7/15/2007 ReStart Date
ktrout
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Return to Weight Loss