I'm a vegetarian--do I have to have meat on MF?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

I'm a vegetarian--do I have to have meat on MF?

Postby chrissy » May 1st, 2005, 8:32 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am interested in using medifast to lose 15-20 pounds but I'm a vegetarian. From my reading, it sounds as if I have to eat lean protein from meat on MF. Is that correct? Can someone advise me on possible substitutions? I am eager to order, but want to make sure I can incorporate MF into my vegetarian lifestyle.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

Chrissy
chrissy

Postby fatBgone » May 1st, 2005, 8:49 pm

Hi Chrissy,
I'm not a vegetarian, but I've heard and seen of others that are that are on Medifast. Maybe someone who knows more will answer you also, but this is just a quick fix while you're waiting...Good luck!!
Lisa
fatBgone
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 1st, 2005, 9:17 pm

I don't care for them, but I have a freezer full of vegetable protein "burgers" and "sausages". Boca brand and Morningstar Farms. Hubby is a vegetarian and eats them all the time. I checked and they have 1 gram "net carbs" per serving. That should make them acceptable for the "lean" portion of the diet. Eggs can be used occasionally as part of the lean and green meal too. You only have to eat a lean and green meal as part of the 5-1 plan. With a doctor's supervision, you can instead have 6 Medifast supplements a day. This is called a "full fast".
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Vegetarian

Postby Jan » May 1st, 2005, 9:21 pm

Hi Chrissy-- Yes vegetarians can participate in the M.F. program I'll give you a few basics and when Nancy appears she can tell you more. Very lean meat substitutes are 1/4 C on-fat orl ow fat cottage cheese loz fat free cheese, 2 egg whites or . 1/4Cup egg sub Lean Meat substitutions are 1/4 Cup 4.5% cottage cheese, 2 Tbs grated parmesan cheese or 1 oz cheese with less than 3 grams of fat per oz Also vegetarians should avoid cream of broccoli and cream of chicken soup as well as beef and chicken fast soup and Homesyle chili and minnestroni soup -- other than that theres lots of things to eat -- hope this helps till you hear from Nancy!
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2005, 11:24 pm

Hi, Chrissy ~

I have other posts in the Forum regarding vegetarian information. There is a search clicky button that you may use to do a thorough search of all the posts made over the course of MakeMeThinner website time. ;)

I'll just paste one of my posts here for your reading pleasure...
Vegetarian

If you are a total vegetarian (vegan) and do not eat any animal products, including egg or milk products, Medifast programs are not appropriate for you.

Vegetarians should AVOID these Medifast products:

.. Cream of Broccoli Soup
.. Cream of Chicken
.. Beef Fast Soup
.. Chicken Fast Soup
.. Chicken Noodle Soup
.. HomeStyle Chili
.. Minestrone Soup

Vegans may use the Medifast Take Shape shakes – soy-based shakes that are higher in calories than the Medifast 55 shakes but since the Take Shape shakes DO have a very minute amount of sodium caseinate and whey, (milk products) strict vegans do not use the Take Shape shakes.

People who are vegetarian and choose to use the Medifast Take Shape shakes and program may use the very lean and lean meat substitutes listed below.

Vegetarian Exchanges for Take Shape Program

Meat Exchanges

One Meat Exchange = 1 oz. of meat.
(The average meat serving such as a small hamburger or pork chop is approximately 3 oz.)

Very Lean Meat Substitutes

¼ cup nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
1 oz. fat-free cheese
2 egg whites
¼ cup plain egg substitutes

Lean Meat Substitutes

¼ cup 4.5% cottage cheese
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 oz. cheese with <3 grams of fat per oz

Vegetable Exchanges

A vegetable exchange is equivalent to ½ cup cooked vegetable or 1 cup raw.

These vegetables are NOT permitted because they are carbolically challenged! Do NOT eat ‘em – too high in carbohydrates - legumes, peas,
lentils, potatoes, corn, squash, and lima beans. Back away…

I am not a dietician.
I am not a physician.
I am not a vegetarian.
You need to check with your physician before beginning any weight loss program or exercise program that will affect your health.

I am not qualified to advise you regarding appropriate meat exchanges to meet your specific dietary needs so that is why I suggest you read through the exchanges and speak with your physician or nutritionist for additional information.

Postby 24KaratGold » May 1st, 2005, 11:37 pm

I bet that last post was by Nancy! :mrgreen:
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Return to Come on in.