Carb Question...for a vegetarian..

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Carb Question...for a vegetarian..

Postby Nisha » February 5th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Hi! i am a vegetarian and have decided to do medifast after a lot of research and coming to terms that i do not do well with eat within certain calorie count..i need structure. My question is when i count carbs..do i count net carbs = total carbs - fibre OR just plain carbs?? I am thinking of buying the burgers and so need the info! Also..is it really 15 oz of tofu!! that is waay too much for me..like a whole box really...i am scared to do anything wrong and want to make sure i understand everything before i order.
Thanks in advance for ur help
Nisha

Postby Mike » February 6th, 2008, 12:30 am

What I have seen is to try and keep the carbs below 85 for the day. Some people can handle more, some can't handle that many.

The focus is really... follow the program. Access the guides from the website and make sure you know what you can have and what you can't.
If it were me, on the tofu thing, I would look into breaking your lean into two parts when you do tofu. Perhaps 7 0z tofu and 1/2 the egg serving, or cheese or something along those lines.

I agree... 15 oz extra firm tofu is alot.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nisha » February 6th, 2008, 6:17 am

Thanks Mike....and about the carb Question...can you help..or anybody??
Nisha

Postby Serendipity » February 6th, 2008, 6:52 am

The great thing about the Medifast program is that you don't have to count carbs either. Just stick to the food list in the Quick Start Guide and you'll be fine.

If you want your question answered anyway, you could call the Medifast Nutritionist. I just didn't worry about such things, so I don't have that for ya.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Nisha » February 6th, 2008, 8:12 am

Thanks S..actually that is a good strategy...i am obsessing even before i start..i am scared about goofing up..i think i will stick to what they have recommended...
Nisha

Postby Mike » February 6th, 2008, 8:19 am

.... and don't forget to register. There are lots of things on this site to help you if you do. And you will be able to post in other parts as well.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby rodeomom » February 6th, 2008, 9:47 am

Ditto to Mike and Jo ---

All you need to do is follow the program. The best thing about MF is that it is so easy. You don't have to count calories, carbs nor anything else. As long as you are following the program all you have to do is measure/weigh your MF allowed veggies and leans (for vegetarians there is a list of non-meat lean options) that is IT.

You will do fine. As Mike said, don't for get to register so you can join us in other "rooms" of the forum for maximum support!
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DogMa » February 6th, 2008, 1:07 pm

How strict a vegetarian are you? Many of the Medifast products that sound like they would be vegetarian have animal products in them, so be sure to read the labels if you don't eat things like chicken broth or animal fat. My cousin was interested in the program when I did it, but she would have had very limited choices (mainly drinks; they didn't have eggs back then, so I can't speak for them, but things like broccoli soup have animal products) and decided against it.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Nisha » February 6th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Thanks guys..and as suggested i have registered for the forum with the username as meeta...i am really looking fwd to lose weight..i put in my order for my medifast this afternoon :D ..so will be a regular here....

and i am a strict vegetarian (diary - yes, eggs - no)..but i think i should be fine..as there is a decent amount of vege prods there..thnks for the heads-up DogMa..very sweet of u
Nisha

Postby Mike » February 6th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Great job... we are all here to help you.

8)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby DogMa » February 7th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Yeah, if you like the drinks and stuff, you'll do fine. Just be sure to read the labels of soups and things like that. (Of course, they may even have changed the ingredients since I used the products. But stuff like the chili and the broccoli soup had animal products in addition to the soy. I assume it's for taste, but it was a shame because she really wanted to do it after seeing my success.)

Good luck to you!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Jan » February 13th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Hi there,
I'm sorry I'm a bit late here :cry: ... but today I have some time soooo I'm doing some forum reading and catching up. :D
Make certain and ask your Health Coach for the list of Meatless Options.
As you surmised, most meatless options do contain more carbs than lean meat.... The Meatless Option Chart breaks it down as to carbs. Plus, many meatless options do not have enough ( of all things :D ) fat. But our bodies need fat to function properly ... not tooooo much though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can see it now "jan says we need fat ... hmmmmmmmm deep fried will certainly add fat ..." Yup it will but that fat will end up right on YOU and it will hang around for awhile too!!
When using the meatless options and to stay in the fat burning stage choose options with lower carbs .. the Medifast Meatless Options Chart will list this out for you. In addition choose veggies in the lowest carb range... I think that's in The Quick Start Guide. You'll do fine
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby llrickman » February 13th, 2008, 8:37 pm

when i eat something real lean and low fat such as buffalo i will sautee some mushrooms in a tad of olive oil and maybe a couple squirts of ICBINB spray . Not that you will be eating buffalo but the sautee is an idea if you choose something that needs an extra fat serving
Started Medifast June 11,2007

Thank goodness for Bullion
llrickman
Regular Member - #100 Club
Regular Member - #100 Club

Return to Come on in.