My first plateau behind me. Now for some exercise...

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

My first plateau behind me. Now for some exercise...

Postby dbedrosi » February 1st, 2008, 1:39 pm

Hi fellow medifasters. Thanks for getting me through my first plateau! Boy, was that a rocky ride. Since I posted my plateau fustration question, I've lost 6 pounds!!! What really helped me get through it were all the thoughtful comments you folks shared w/me. What a support system this Forum is!
Now..I'm tackling the lack of desire to exercise:). I've always enjoyed exercising but I've just been in a winter rut. It's hard to get out there in the cold/rain to walk and the gym has never been a place for me. My question is, how much should I target to exercise now that I've been on the plan 2 months? Tks Denise
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzVdiiK/]
[/url]
dbedrosi
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby rodeomom » February 1st, 2008, 1:56 pm

FIRST OFF - congratulations on sticking with it as you got through your plateau. So many people just give up when they reach a stall. You should be so proud of yourself that you stuck with the program and now you are seeing results again.

It is usually suggested that you start slow - like walking at an average pace for just 10 minutes for the first few days. Then you can slowly work up to more. Remember that most experts agree that more speed is better than more time to boost metabolism. See how far you walk in 10 minutes the first time and try to do that the first week, then work up to walking that same distance in, say, 8 minutes for a week or so. The next time increase your distance which will increase your time then the next time decrease your time and so on...

You will want to also eventually (a month or so) start adding some weight training too. Again, start slow and work up.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS!!!!!!! Muscle weighs more than fat and adding exercise is going to reduce fat, but add muscle. You may not see dramatic losses on the scale, BUT you will notice that your measurements will start to decrease
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby dbedrosi » February 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm

Thanks rodeomom. As you were writing your reply to my question, I stumbled upon the following from the Exercise Guide. But I think I will give your suggestion a try first and then to the below. Thanks again!:

"The Take Shape For Life Walking Program is great for anyone who wishes
to incorporate an aerobic workout into his or her healthy lifestyle. If you
are new to exercise, begin this program slowly. You do not need to finish
each week consecutively. If you have difficulty completing Week 3
(consisting of three days of 25-minute walks), repeat Week 3 until you are
comfortable with this schedule. The Take Shape For Life Walking Program
does not need to be completed in 12 weeks. You may also divide the time
into smaller sessions at the beginning."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzVdiiK/]
[/url]
dbedrosi
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » February 1st, 2008, 9:45 pm

looks like you got it set Denise. Keep at it and all will be well. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » February 1st, 2008, 11:15 pm

Way to go getting through your first plateau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo!

I KNOW (believe me!) how frustrating they can be and you did great!

I started exercising just by getting a pedometer and walking...I had a set # of steps I shot for each day and used it as a motivator. I have been having trouble making exercise a habit lately and pulled the pedometer out!
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

any amount however small

Postby Joy » February 2nd, 2008, 10:33 am

Anything you can do to count as exercise however small, do it. Because once you can say to yourself I have started and I can do this, you have already made the change. Then add on small things/amounts everyday (even only a minute).

best luck,
joy
Joy
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » February 2nd, 2008, 10:34 pm

Denise ~

Good hear that your patience and persistence has demonstrated itself on the scale. You've gotten great advice already - what a great time to begin to develop the habit of exercise!

Many of us live in cold or wet climates, making it a bit more challenging to don a pair of galoshes and slog through the bogs. I find that the YMCA is a super place to go because there are people of all ages, all sizes and all abilities - I never feel out of place there.

There are some wonderful exercise DVDs and most stores carry home exercise equipment. I found a balance ball and some 5 # weights at TJ Maxx a couple years ago and use them when I watch TV - since that is a rare occasion these days, I moved the balance ball into the office and I do sit ups and arm curls when I am on the phone.

DeDe, you are right-on about a pedometer. I have one strapped on my waistband at all times and if the end of the day is drawing to a close and my number is low, I take laps around the interior of the cottage, garage, run up and down the stairs. Sometimes we get up early and go to the mall to walk laps - there's a whole community of walkers there!

Whatever you choose to do, you are increasing your overall health and sense of well-being. Take Shape For Life = Life in motion!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Come on in.