First Day and STARVING

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

First Day and STARVING

Postby CTurner » June 5th, 2006, 7:08 am

Good Morning Everyone,
I just started my first day and I am :x STARVING. I have had a shake and a bar so far and all I want is a big bagel with cream cheese. I am afraid that i will go thru my meals too quickly today and be left wihtout anything. Also what are your favorite meals? I tried chili yesterday and it wasnt so great??

Thanks for advice
CTurner

Postby MusicalMomma Reloaded » June 5th, 2006, 7:12 am

Hi CT! Welcome :)

It is TOTALLY normal to feel hungry for the first 3-5 days, but hang in there, it DOES get better! I just restarted on the 1st and the first 3 days were agonizing, but I just kept telling myself "I can do ANYTHING for three days".

Make sure you drink LOTS of water...have your allowed snack. Have an extra shake if you need it. Have a cup of hot bullion. You can do it :)

Check out the Lean Cuisine portion of the forum for GREAT ideas in "jazzing" up the foods.

My favorite is the chili...hated it at first...then learned how to spice it up to taste better.
~Joyce~
Formerly known as MusicalMomma
MusicalMomma Reloaded
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby loriannk » June 5th, 2006, 8:38 am

Joyce pretty much answered the question. I just wanted to say Hello and to hang in there. It will get better and YOU CAN DO IT.

Keep busy so you stop thinking about food and make sure to drink all your water.

Good Luck!

Lori
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Janae » June 5th, 2006, 8:45 am

CTurner-

First....welcome! Happy to have you here.

I just started last Thursday....so I understand what you mean! I ditto the above advice about drinking all your water, adding some boullion or other allowable snack and adding an additional shake to the day if needed.

I also found that if I could fight the battle mentally...I could usually get past it. The "hunger" is real- but it is also like an addict going cold turkey and leaving their drug of choice behind. Your body and especially your mind just do not want to give it up!!

So, what has helped me is to stay very busy...I don't know what your daily schedule holds but, if you work outside your home- throw yourself into that when you are there. Then, in "free time"...come to these boards, do things that engage your brain...and your hands...

One thing that has helped me is to journal everyday...what I eat, when, all the pertinent info plus how I am feeling. I also have made several lists that I keep adding to...For example:

The Reasons I Want To Lose Weight
Moments I Look Forward To After Weight Loss
What Small Rewards will I Give Myself
Janae

Postby falisamarie » June 5th, 2006, 8:51 am

The hunger will pass. Take advantage of the snacks and if you need to add an extra shake or two for the first couple of days. The hunger will pass and you will be feeling great in no time flat!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Janae » June 5th, 2006, 8:51 am

Oops-

Didn't finish my list of lists-

Rewards for Meeting Small Goals
What will be my Big Reward for meeting my Final Goal
Fun Things to Do with My Extra Time

Anyway- you get the idea. This has helped me...reading back through my lists and then adding to them...Usually gets me past the food thoughts and back into the I Can Do This frame of mind!!

I also have found in these first few days- I try to eliminate food "stimulation" as much as I can...being around food, food advertising and on and on!

I wish you all the best. You can do this...and it really does get easier! I am oon Day 5 and it is starting to be a comfortable routine!

Follow the plan and by Sunday...you'll be weighing in with a loss on Roll Call!

Blessings from another Newbie
J
Janae

Postby DogMa » June 5th, 2006, 9:43 am

What everyone else said.

The oatmeal is also more filling than the shakes, so that's a good option. And the mental thing is huge at first. You're hungry, but your next meal is only a couple of hours away. Remind yourself of that, and try to distract yourself. I'm sure it's not the first time you were hungry but had to wait a little while to eat - because dinner wasn't ready, or you were out, or the service was slow at a restaurant.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Aerie » June 5th, 2006, 10:18 am

Everyone's advice is right on the money. I just finished my first week and I was right in your shoes the first couple of days. Plus, I kept getting bad headaches. By the end of day 3 though, I was all right with the world. And my first weigh in paid off so it was all worth it. Believe me if I can do it you definitely can.

Drink your water.
Eat every 2.5 hours.
Boullion helps.
Use the boards and us! I really liked the before and after shots and used them as a powerful motivator.

Keep shaking!!!!
Aerie

Postby VTGirlie » June 5th, 2006, 11:59 am

It will get better! The first days are the hardest becuase you aren't losing yet and your body is withdrawing. I was looking back at an old post I did on day 2 and I was seriously ready to gnaw on the CARPET!!! :lol:

The oatmeal is very good if cooked on the stove top, and don't be afraid to add spices to your meals to make them better. The chili really needs to sit awhile to avoid cruchy bean syndrome! :) But I make mine in the am and put boiling water and the mix, along with onion flakes and/or garlic, pepper, and sometimes a little salt and let it sit in a thermal container until lunch, and it is MUCH better!

don't be afraid to check out the Lean Cuisine section for ideas, and Don't Give Up!

It will get better, I PROMISE!!! (I don't think any of us would be here if it didn't!) :)

You can do this!!!
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lital » June 5th, 2006, 4:57 pm

You can do it!!
I was obsessed with food the first 2 days.
I couldn't think of anything else & ALL food smells made me CRAVE it.

But then I realized that for as small as I thought the portions were, I was still allowed to eat every 2 to 2.5 hours. I kept thinking about how I am doing something positive for myself. How ready I really am for a serious change. I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of being tired after I walk up my own stairs. I'm tired of not fitting into my jeans. I'm tired of not feeling good about myself.

SURPRISE!!! I can control this. Medifast is helping me to do that. After 4 days I've lost 5 pounds & my jeans don't interfere with my breathing!

Aside from the hiccups, my stomach hasn't growled too much & I'm getting used to the powdery shake taste.

Hang in there. Take it one day at a time.
Just one day.
Just today.

I'm liking this forum more and more.
You folks are all unbelievable - kind, supportive and positive.
We've all been there - mentally as well as physically.

Cheers,
~Li
Lital

Postby Joelie » June 5th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Hi CT! Image

Hang in there! As everyone has stated...this WILL get easier! We are all living proof of that. MF will NOT fail you if you give it a chance and stick to your guns. You'll be kickin' that flab in the butt before you know it! :whoohoo:

You CAN do this! :cheerleader: We're all here for you!
Joelie
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Diana » June 5th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Welcome, CT.

Yeah, the chili needs some help. I usually add garlic salt and red pepper flakes. My dh adds a teaspoon of barbeque sauce and some chili powder.

I thought I was going to start gnawing on door posts my first day. It was pretty tough. Day two was easier, but I was tired and a little dizzy. (Salt is your friend in this stage!)

At the end of my first month, I analyzed my program and realized that I had lost over 18 lbs on a 6&1 program! I didn't even realized that I was having 6 meal replacements a day and I just about ran out of food before my next shipment arrived! So, my advice -- keep track. Have 6 if you need to on those days you think you're going to faint or kill someone :shoot:, but keep track. :mrgreen:

Those lists Janae mentioned? They do help!

And please join us by registering! Support is a key component to the success of any program, and this is a terrific source for it!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Arklahoma » June 6th, 2006, 3:55 am

Hopefully, today will be a better day for you. Good Luck!!!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room