I am finding LOTS of clothes in my closet

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby Sylvia » November 10th, 2004, 11:26 am

Wow, 80K, huh? I thought I was doing well making a few hundred on Ebay. I can't imagine why anyone would want Oprah's clothes instead of mine!

Seriously, I have either given away or sold every stitch of clothing that is too big. I will not be needing it anymore, so there is no reason to keep it, right?
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby fedup » November 10th, 2004, 11:35 am

That's right ladies! We're downsizing here! ;) I didn't catch Oprah, but I doubt anything in my closet would bring that much huh?! But I sure am looking forward to that closet purge! When I "dieted" in the past, I always kept the big stuff... (guess I just expected that the weight "just may" come back huh? or why else did I keep it? Anyone heard of a "self-fulfilling prophesy" here!) This time I know I've found the right way to be healthy and slimmer, and I'm not going to be needing those "emergency big clothes" anymore! Plus I'm a packrat by nature, and I have so much crap that I don't need in my apartment... I've really been using this time I've been on MF to try to gain a sense of control about so many things in my life... obviously food, but also I didn't like my "environment" being so out of control. I had/have too much stuff in my place... leads to clutter... so I've been cleaning out the "essentials" from the "junk" over the past few months too. This past weekend I went through a whole closet full of boxes... downsized from 11 to 4! Everything else was either put in a permanent home or got rid of, or stored in those 4 boxes!) So when I'm ready, the clothes will be more clutter to get rid of! I'd like to put some "feel good" clothes in it too gr8views!
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » November 10th, 2004, 7:39 pm

Thanks, Diane!

:scratchhead: Hmm..I wonder if I can get somebody write a prescription for me to buy some of Valentino's clothes... :hmmm: I love livin' it up and believe me, you'll all be doing a whole lotta living and lovin' every minute of it, too!

Medifast makes ya feel alive and well! :cateye:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » November 12th, 2004, 1:50 pm

I have had to buy hubby almost an entire new wardrobe. He is very muscular and broad-shouldered (hubba hubba! LOL) so losing fat really makes a dramtic difference in his clothing sizes.
I'll break it down in another post, since he isn't a poster here, but i'm so proud of him (okay, okay, and ME! LOL) that I want to post his information so others may be inspired!

My point was, I haven't bought much new, though I need to. I'm a bit stubborn about it, but since I'm now hving some trouble keepin' my drawers in place I guess it's time. Personally, I hve this dream of building a big flashy wardrobe when I'm at goal, and buying in-between sizes is just irritating! LOL

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » November 12th, 2004, 2:31 pm

Susanna ~
re:
dream of building a big flashy wardrobe when I'm at goal, and buying in between sizes is just irritating

Uh, ya mean a flashy wardrobe of THINNER size clothing, and lots of it, right?

Oh, you can certainly have a flashy wardrobe - but remember, LW has THE flashiest! Hah! JK I used to rip out pages from magazines of stuff I wanted to get once I reached my goal.

Little by little, I've gotten some of the things I only dreamed of before Medifast.

Before I lost weight, it was hard to find cool things that would fit me but now I can wear most anything off the rack.

I really wanted to wear boots but my legs were always way too thick. The zippers on the boots would never zip and there was no way a pull-on boot would go over my ankle.

I wear a size 11 shoe and that in itself, makes it hard to find shoes that I can afford...BTW, my foot size is still an 11 but my foot is not as wide as it used to be and I can now wear heels. I couldn't wear heels before as my feet always hurt so badly.

I ordered a pair of boots just this last Tuesday. I can't wait for them to arrive. I tried on a whole load of boots and it was a wonderful day - the zippers zipped, the pull-ons easily slid over my ankles and calves.

The dilemma was to decide which pair to buy. I added the boots to my "Because I can" list. I had to special order them because I wanted some black suede and leather and the store only had brown in my size...
Isn't t so fun to dream about what you'll wear, what you'll do and who you'll be when you reach your goal?

Now is the time to think about it, too. The Thinnin' phase is the time to begin to work on your 'thinking' - about how you talk to your self and how you think about your self. Making permanent changes in your eating habits, thinking positively about what you are doing and liking how you feel about your accomplishments.

You are doing a great job, SRD. Wow! It's neat to hear about your hunky husband's success, too!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Carrie » November 16th, 2004, 6:37 am

OK, confession time.

After posting here about being reticent to spend money on in-between sizes, I went shopping with my cousin 2 days in a row and spent a WAD. I got about 14 tops and 2 pairs of pants, black boots, black slinky pumps, and new unmentionables.

I just went nuts. ABSOLUTELY EVERY ITEM CAME FROM THE REGULAR SIZE DEPARTMENT. I repeat - NONE OF IT CAME FROM THE PLUS SIZES!!!!

Folks, I have not shopped in the regular sizes in 10+ years.

The good news is that the tops I got can easily be taken in and incorporated into my at-goal wardrobe.

The 2 pairs of size 16 jeans/chinos will just have to be recycled to the women's shelter resale shop when they get too big.

I BOUGHT SIZE 16 LEE JEANS - AND THEY FIT!

This is the first time it has been fun for me to go shopping in years and years. I bought things because they were pretty/looked nice on/etc. -instead of buying a tshirt because you can't find size 3x very often and I better get it even though it's yet another fat-person floral tshirt that really doesn't look that good. That's what shopping was like for me for the last several years........trust me, I like this way better!

Despite the fact that everything was coming from the regular sizes, I noticed that when I entered a new store I just unconsciously found myself in the plus sizes. Funny how the mind works. As soon as I realized it, I hightailed it outa that section!

Soooooo, for all my protestations, I went a little crazy when I realized I could wear the cute clothes again after all these years. Good news is the majority of it will still be useable at goal weight.

I'm surprised youall didn't hear my squeals of delight!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Sylvia » November 16th, 2004, 8:41 am

Carrie,

That is SOOOO exciting! Who cares if you splurged on some clothes that are "short timers"? You deserve them. I'll let you in on a little secret - you're not going to want to take those tops in. You are going to want to get new fitted tops and the ones you bought will go on Ebay. Again, SO WHAT??

I know what you mean about gravitating to the plus size side of the store. I still tend to pick up things that are too big and then have to go back for a smaller size. It's a good feeling - far preferable to my past experience of having to move up to a larger size than anticipated.

You just enjoy your new smaller self!

S
Sylvia

Postby fedup » November 16th, 2004, 8:49 am

I know what you mean about gravitating toward the bigger clothes... I do that too! ANd you know what I hate... SIZES!! I swear at any given time I can wear 3 different sizes, depending on the brand and how it is cut. It can really mess with your head! I need to just get to the point where I don't care what the label says, and go on how it looks. Like I found a really cute pair of jeans, but didn't want to get them 'cause they were 2 sizes bigger than the other pants I'm wearing. That's stupid of me, 'cause we all know it's just a label! My butt's the same size no matter what the tag says! I'll just have to get used to wearing a "range" of sizes I guess! Anyone else have this problem?
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby explorthis » November 16th, 2004, 11:47 am

My butt's the same size no matter what the tag says! Anyone else have this problem?

Yes dang it, I just hate the way my butt looks in those Wal-Mart jeans, compared to those Vanderbilt’s. What’s a guy to do? Funny though, those fruit-o-the-loom’s fit just right, butt I just hate constricting my rear parts in tight underdoodies (name quote from a famous weight loss Leopardess) when it does not matter cause my butt is the same size no matter what I wear…..

Drat……

Anyone got that number to Truck-Master?

-M

Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » November 16th, 2004, 12:57 pm

:dooh: Oh, you guys are a total :hatch:

I love this Forum. You are all smile-bringers. :roflmao:

Yes, I do believe I did hear you squeal with delight! I just chalked it up to another successful Medifaster doing a "because she can!"

It is amazing, isn't it? I still wriggle and jiggle and giggle inside when I try on clothing. :yippee: :boing:

The first time I tried on and bought a size "M" skirt at Wally World, I showed everybody the 'M' hang tag - I was so jazzed about it.

And yes, I do sometimes still wander into the larger size departments but lemme tell ya, I don't hang out for long in there! :runner:

New problem has cropped up - rather than spend time and $ making and baking and gorging, now I like to spend my time doing recreational shopping... :shock: this can be very dangerous! :help:

Enjoy every moment and don't forget the wonderul feeling you have now - it will help you to stay on track when you are on maintenance and are faced with a foody temptation- you'll easily be able to make a better choice because you will have internalized the fact that nothings tastes as good as thin feels in those smaller clothes.

P.S. Mike, your buns look so :shades: sexy in those smaller Fruit of the Looms! :leopard:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » November 18th, 2004, 8:14 pm

Amazing! I was going to start a new post to tell about my frustrating shopping trip last weekend, but once again, you guys have read my mind and posted your own similar experiences!
An old friend of mine called me last week and asked if we would attend her church with them on Sunday, and I agreed. On Saturday, it occured to me that I should try on some of my go-to-meetin' stuff and guess what? It was all sloppy and saggy and folds of material hanging all over, so I headed out on Saturday afternoon thinking I'd just pick something up real quick.
Fast forward four hours......UGH!
My major frustration? Pulling things off the rack and thinking, "This is going to be too small", then getting intot he fitting room only to find the item much to LARGE in fact!
I'm not "really" complaining! LOL It IS unnerving, though to be unable to judge your size.
I do have to agree with another poster that choosing things for their LOOKS and not just because they are the size you require is a LOAD of fun!

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » November 18th, 2004, 11:57 pm

Oh, Susanna ~

Isn't it simply :angel: divine :angel: to be a loser?

:thumbup: Congratulations! :thumbup:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby smartiegrrl » December 8th, 2004, 8:47 am

Just adding my 2 cents to this thread slightly aged thread. :D ;)

First, I have to say I'm a total clothes horse. I love clothes and shoes. Even at 230 I loved to shop for clothes. I love to shop for clothes and I'm back in the regular department. My transitional plan is all skirts. I've been wearing skirts everyday with fun tights and legwarmers! I finally did order a pair of pants - Matte Jersey with an elastic waist in size Large. And I also bought a pair of black silk holiday pants that I needed to have tailored in size 16. I hope to get those soon. I don't know if the skirts plan will be feasable in January. Brrrr. The holiday pants is just a normal seasonal splurge - well they were on sale. ;)

I've been hitting the clearance racks at Target for cheap skirts and tops. I'm about ready for some new bras too. The nice thing about skirts is that they can be a little tight or a little loose and it doesn't matter too much if they hang a little low or a little high.

I do have some suits I need to take to the consignment shop. I'm going to wait until January I think - or until I have another interview or meeting where I need to wear one.

I also have 3 coats that are becoming too large and my pink spring coat, I know is way too big. My leather coat is just on the verge of looking sloppy. Obviously I'm not going to spend the $$$ on a new one just yet. I may see if I can have it taken in a bit and taken up - its also too long now! Then again, its not exactly the season to be without a coat for a week. So I may hit the after x-mas and after January clearance ranks for something to tide me over.
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Carrie » December 8th, 2004, 9:10 am

SG,
I was totally the opposite of you - I have HATED shopping for clothes for the last - oh, 15 years or so. Always seeming to need a size bigger and then bigger still.

And shopping in the 'Women's' Department???? There's a major cause of depression. They seem to think fat people should wear ugly clothes.

It was a major moral victory to go shopping last month and enjoy it. And I want to keep that feeling.

You know, when I started out on this journey, I imagined that everything about losing weight would be positive. And don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic that I've lost 65+ pounds. But I was totally not expecting the frustration of having nothing to wear. I guess I just thought I'd suffer through with my fat clothes until I got to my goal weight, because I didn't want to waste any money on in-between sizes. But that wasn't realistic, I can't wear those huge clothes anymore - they look like tents. Reality is that you just have to supplement your wardrobe along the way. I handed over the credit card and never looked back.

And it is frustrating when I'm between sizes - you know, my current pants are starting to be baggy, but my next sizes down are still too snug. Those times can be slightly annoying, but I try and let it motivate me to hurry up and get into the smaller ones.

And when I get to my goal weight I'm gonna treat myself to a whole new spiffy wardrobe and not feel guilty about it. For the first time in years it's fun to get dressed to go out, and have options of more than one thing to wear as opposed to finding the top in your closet that hides the most.

It's very liberating. And the compliments NEVER get old.

I'm excited to think of my next shopping excursion, can't wait!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby smartiegrrl » December 10th, 2004, 4:16 pm

Carrie -

I hear ya. I've just always been a fashionista. Gaining weight didn't change that for me, really. Although it did make shopping more expensive. :|

I just picked up a really cute dress for New Years Eve in a size 14. We're going to be out of town for one of my favorite band's very last concert (so they say ;)). w00t. I hope that it still fits in a few weeks. ;)
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Previous

Return to The Weight Room